1200 cals this way works...

Options

Replies

• jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I too come right about 1200 to 1400 eating very similar to you, I had to give up all starches and have been eating tons of vegetables, fruits, lean meats, fish and legumes. I have a ton of energy and feel healthier that I have in years and my blood sugar never spikes anymore. I'm losing weight as well. Thanks for posting ~Jerry~
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options

The problem with not eating enough is a large % of your weight loss will come from lean muscle, not just fat. Higher protein will help but not eliminate the loss of lean muscle.

^^ this is actually very accurate.

If there is fat to burn, your body burns mostly fat and yes some lean muscle too. I've reduced my body fat from 25%-21% eating approx. 1200 calories, 95% clean, lifting heavy weights and having a cheat day twice a month.

There are folks who swear by starvation mode and folks that call it a myth. When I researched the subject, the opinions were 50/50.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    So after spending 45 minutes reading about how I "should be banned" because of my diet.. thank you oh shirtless arrogant one, I thought I'd offer just a little advice to my friends who are doing a 1200 calorie diet and having a little struggle with it. 1200 can be pretty tough because it's not a lot. But, 1200 produces results. Especially in those of us that are vertically challenged and have an ideal weight of 115 or so.

To be fair the post was about people consistently eating UNDER 1200 calories as it encourages unhealthy eating habits (eating too little). It wasnt slating people who NET 1200 a day.

Also, the OP is the very OPPOSITE of the kind of people the guy was slating. You eat good, healthy nutritious food and eat back exercise calories.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Actually I haven't said this before and I don't care if I get blasted, when I ate 800-1000 calories a day and exercised I was diagnosed with an eating disorder. Yes laugh under your breath at the fact my lowest weight was fine but I was not diagnosed with Anorexia but I was diagnosed with an eating disorder hence my 43lb loss and then gain for a constant battle both binging and restriction. I brought myself here in an attempt to recover and lose weight healthily and trust me if you are eating 1000 calories a day or making a deficit for under 1000 calories a day that is not healthy.

You need a minimum of 1200 NET calories a day, and that is the bare minimum just to keep your organs surviving and most people NEED more. What you are doing to your body is slowing down your metabolism and eventually you WILL gain weight when you go into maintained calorie amount (that's if you even get through the plateau that will come along with this.) you will gain. Unless you are seeing some wako doctor or are obese (even then a lot wouldn't recommend it) they would never recommend going under 1200 net calories, thats unless you would like to gain more than you started with or if you plan on keeping it up losing muscle and playing around with your organs.

Just make sure please that you are eating a net of 1200, it's healthy and safe. Don't be eating 1200 and then netting 800 which is far from safe.

Blast away =) not saying it to be a *****, just honesty and I know a lot of what people do is trial and error, but never kid yourself under 1200 net calories is healthy. you need to be healthy to be awesome x
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Great post! I eat in a similar way, except for breakfast. I usually have an egg with veggies...
  • rusialeelee
    rusialeelee Posts: 143
    Options
    I agree with you. I'm eating 6 small meals every 2 hours with lots of vegetables, fruits, and meats totaling 1250 cal. Rarely eat processed foods. I'm full all the time since I'm eating so often. Just snacking while at work on the computer. ALL DAY =.= I drink lots of water throughout the day and try to get in 8 glasses. I do a min of 20 minutes of exercise a day.

I am fit, healthy, and satisfied. I feel amazing! :D

I'm losing weight at a steady and healthy pace of 1-2 pounds a week.

I eat out with my family and friends and eat whatever I want just in smaller portions.
  • Kipperdog123
    Options
    You're exactly right!:drinker:
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Actually I haven't said this before and I don't care if I get blasted, when I ate 800-1000 calories a day and exercised I was diagnosed with an eating disorder. Yes laugh under your breath at the fact my lowest weight was fine but I was not diagnosed with Anorexia but I was diagnosed with an eating disorder hence my 43lb loss and then gain for a constant battle both binging and restriction. I brought myself here in an attempt to recover and lose weight healthily and trust me if you are eating 1000 calories a day or making a deficit for under 1000 calories a day that is not healthy.

You need a minimum of 1200 NET calories a day, and that is the bare minimum just to keep your organs surviving and most people NEED more. What you are doing to your body is slowing down your metabolism and eventually you WILL gain weight when you go into maintained calorie amount (that's if you even get through the plateau that will come along with this.) you will gain. Unless you are seeing some wako doctor or are obese (even then a lot wouldn't recommend it) they would never recommend going under 1200 net calories, thats unless you would like to gain more than you started with or if you plan on keeping it up losing muscle and playing around with your organs.

Blast away =) not saying it to be a *****, just honesty and I know a lot of what people do is trial and error, but never kid yourself under 1200 net calories is healthy. you need to be healthy to be awesome x

I do not think anyone should be blasted for their opinions on this matter. It just seems that in the forums, the pro "eat more" folks are brutal with folks that net (not EAT) less than 1200 calories.

Yesterday I had greek yogurt, steak, chicken, sweet potato, guacamole, nuts strawberries and more (approx 1300 cals) and netted around 1000. Since I eat clean 95% of the time I am completely satisfied.

In a civil debate I just like to point out that every body is different. Most of the threads on this subject however are far from civil.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options

I do not think anyone should be blasted for their opinions on this matter. It just seems that in the forums, the pro "eat more" folks are brutal with folks that net (not EAT) less than 1200 calories.

Yesterday I had greek yogurt, steak, chicken, sweet potato, guacamole, nuts strawberries and more (approx 1300 cals) and netted around 1000. Since I eat clean 95% of the time I am completely satisfied.

In a civil debate I just like to point out that every body is different. Most of the threads on this subject however are far from civil.

I do agree with the less than civil comment there which is usually why I like to stay away from these kinds of posts, I'm not there to attack anyone and I hope not to be attacked either. I just want people to be healthy and I do understand it is different people for different things, just at the end of the day your health should come before weight loss. I didn't mean my comment to sound at all mean or *****y I have just been educated on this with some stuff I have been through. I want people safe, not to attack them.

I just know how damaging eating too little can be, despite the fact my lowest BMI was 20 I wasn't healthy in the way I got there I felt amazing at first doing this, but after a while I lost that. I got heart pains, headaches, dizzy, fatigued and several other things happened to my body.

what worries me more is, you will eventually stop losing weight on 1200 calories and instead of eating more to speed up, most people will eat less and by then I doubt it is a crash diet, and is pretty much turning into an eating disorder. I started with 1200 after hearing how healthy it was, then no weight loss, went to 1000 then it stopped again, then to 800, 750, 700 and eventually to 500 calories a day and now I gained weight from 'recovery' and I can't lose it that easily any more. Just be very careful of what you are doing to your body.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

The problem with not eating enough is a large % of your weight loss will come from lean muscle, not just fat. Higher protein will help but not eliminate the loss of lean muscle.

If there is fat to burn, your body burns mostly fat and yes some lean muscle too. I've reduced my body fat from 25%-21% eating approx. 1200 calories, 95% clean, lifting heavy weights and having a cheat day twice a month.

There are folks who swear by starvation mode and folks that call it a myth. When I researched the subject, the opinions were 50/50.

The human body can only burn so much fat in a day.
    And while fed will normally burn glucose.
    So the question I have is if you can get the same results eating at a slight deficit and thus not having such a negative effect on hormones used for fat loss....why 1200?

I have women who are short, 4'11"-5'3", who eat in excess of 1800+ cals a day and workout 3x a week losing fat and not having issues with plateaus.
    I see hundreds of forum threads a month about 1200cals and plateaus....so why would you want to give up vital nutrients in hopes of losing fat faster than you could eating at say 20-30% below TDEE?

This isnt some cookie cutter program.
    It should be based around actual data like age, height, weight and body fat.

Short?
    Tall?
    Medium?

Doesnt matter.

I've come to a point where I can look at a woman and tell how much she should be eating by height, weight and age.
    I've never come to 1200.
  • Nighthawk4
    Nighthawk4 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Not yet managed to use up all my daily allowance of calories. It really hurts to be told to eat more when I am trying to lose weight.

This does include trying to make up for exercise of course. Wonder if I would lose more weight if I sat around doing nothing like the fat slob I used to be?
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This is a good post and you should feel good.
  • hippypippy84
    Options
    So after spending 45 minutes reading about how I "should be banned" because of my diet.. thank you oh shirtless arrogant one, I thought I'd offer just a little advice to my friends who are doing a 1200 calorie diet and having a little struggle with it. 1200 can be pretty tough because it's not a lot. But, 1200 produces results. Especially in those of us that are vertically challenged and have an ideal weight of 115 or so.

My thoughts...

It is not hard to be full on a 1200 calorie diet when your diet consists of high protein and high fiber fresh fruits and veggies and healthy fats. I don't eat breads, pastas, grains, and only light dairy. I don't eat much processed foods at all- a rare treat. Everything I put in my body has nutritional value, digests slowly, and is loaded with the vitamins and minerals that I need to function well.

So if you are eating 1200 cals a day and those 1200 cals are a 300 cal double chz burger, a 200 calorie coke, a 200 calorie pro shake (cuz ur trying to take the advice of all the "wonderful and supportive people") a 100 cal banana, a 100 cal pack of choco cookies, and a turkey burger and sweet potato fries for dinner- yeh.. ur gonna be hungry, ur body isn't getting the nutrition it needs, and you probably are not going to make it.

But if you are eating 1200 calories and those 1200 calories are ..

200 cal shake for breakfast (25 pro/9 fiber **GNC lean 25**) with 100 cal banana
    100 cal serving of almonds
    200 cal chicken breast with a salad loaded with broccoli, cucumber, carrots, avocado, mushrooms, red peppers, and fresh salsa instead of dressing
    150 cal cup of fruit
    450 cal steak with sauteed zucchini, squash in olive oil herbs and spices and a few grape tomatoes

^^ probably going to feel pretty satisfied after 25 grams of fiber and 100+ grams of protein ^^

Disclosure- if the processed stuff mentioned above works for you.. AWESOME and enjoy. If you don't want to eat 1200 calories, and you want/do eat more.. AWESOME and enjoy. If you think I should be eating more than 1200 calories I'm sure you are an AWESOME person but your opinion is irrelevant to my life/weight loss. I'm good with what i do. Thanks for caring though. :)

Hezz

This made me laugh 'Oh shirtless arrogant one'! :laugh:
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Of course you will lose, you are in a deficit. The problem is 1200 cals and exercising is like eating less than 1200. On days you burn 400 calories, if you only eat 1200, it is the same as eating 800 cals (1200-400) on days you don't exercise. 800 calories is not enough for anyone, even if you are short. (I am 5'6" 136, and I eat 2000+ calories)

As long as ur eating enough peotein ur good... plus its not a huge life fail to reach an ideal weight then work on muscle. Life goals bro. I lift heavy 2-3on times a week.. went from 41%the bf to 29% bf with my 57parents lb weight loss. Its fat I'm losing. I'm goid :)i thanks for ur thoughts tho!!
  • michele2224
    Options
    Awesome post, sounds like you have the right way of thinking!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

The human body can only burn so much fat in a day.
    And while fed will normally burn glucose.
    So the question I have is if you can get the same results eating at a slight deficit and thus not having such a negative effect on hormones used for fat loss....why 1200?

I have women who are short, 4'11"-5'3", who eat in excess of 1800+ cals a day and workout 3x a week losing fat and not having issues with plateaus.
    I see hundreds of forum threads a month about 1200cals and plateaus....so why would you want to give up vital nutrients in hopes of losing fat faster than you could eating at say 20-30% below TDEE?

This isnt some cookie cutter program.
    It should be based around actual data like age, height, weight and body fat.

Short?
    Tall?
    Medium?

Doesnt matter.

I've come to a point where I can look at a woman and tell how much she should be eating by height, weight and age.
    I've never come to 1200.

When i plateau ir begin to starve i'll look u up. Thanks for being a "pal". Btw..did u read the disclaimer?

Hezz
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is my 1 year anniversery here, and during that time I have kept my goal at 1200. Seems to be working for me. :happy:

I have not been hungry, I don't feel weak, I eat what I want and when I want. I do not 'deprive' myself. I try to work it in, or work it off.:smile:

So, you do what works for you. You and only you ( and your doctor) need to decide what is right for you.:smile:

Wishing you continued success in your journey to an healthier life. :flowerforyou:
  • lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For the 1200 cals: What's calorie plan once you're done losing? Continue eating 1200 into perpetuity for fear of gaining again?

If someone told me that upon reaching my goal weight of 120 lbs that I would have eat 1200 cals for the rest of my life, they would get punched in the face.
  • marias2gaa
    marias2gaa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    that menu for 1200 calorie just made me hungry lol it sounds yummy... I think I will try it :smile:
  • mazonumaru
    Options
    Hello I'm new and I just started yesterday. I am extremely overweight because of all the medication. I am diabetic and recently became HBP as well. I really need some help. First on keeping myself motivated. I need someone to kick me and I mean really kick me not baby me but to tell me to get my butt moving. I also am in serious need of ideas of what to eat. I put my stuff in yesterday and I went over but suprisingly only by 100 calories and the cholesterol, fat and protein was over. Caused primarily by the eggs and the hamburger that I came up with for dinner because I only had like 300 calories left but went over when I had to cancel my exercise because of an AC leaking in my basement I discovered when I went down stairs.

So does anyone know where I can get a list of foods that I can use and choose from? I probably won't be able to get to the grocery until Sat or Sun to get the right foods.

And does anyone want to "friend me" to help kick me on the way...I need someone that is serious about kicking me. Thanks