Do You Ride a Motorcycle?

Options
chivalryder
chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
Do you ride? If so, what do you ride, and why do you ride it?

I'm contemplating making my UGW (and graduation present to myself) a motorcycle. Just not sure which one I would want. I'd like to hear your input!

Oh, and I'm not getting a dinky 250. I'm more interested in middle-weight 650's like the SV650, or Ninja 650. I also have interest in motards.

Replies

• ahigg396
    ahigg396 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    my dad now drives a harley, but he used to ride a yamaha i think in his younger years and loved it (so much so that he had two of the same model bike, in different colors!), 'til a lady ran a red light and ran over him. haha but he's all good.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have a 2010 R1 currently. I started on a cbr600rr when I was about 17. I'm thinking of selling the R1 next season for a Ducati 1098.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Buy a Triumph Scrambler.
    Scrambler900_MattBlack_RHS.jpg

Cheers.
    -wtk
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i am 62, rode dirt and street on and off since I was a kid. Recently bought a used Dual Sport Suzuki DR 650. Wicked fast, dirt and highway. Ride anywhere and enjoy the power.
  • dsl01
    dsl01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Can't go wrong with the SV. Good bike, good power, handles well.
    Motards are a total blast to ride and fun for running around and shorter duration rides. They are great to have but I found not a great ONLY bike to have if you like to do longer rides. I just sold my Ducati Hypermotard 1100s and got a Multistrada 1200s. Still fun and fast, but more flexible and comfortable.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I ride but don't drive... We have a Harley 1200 Sportster. Yup, I kinda love it! :)
  • KThiemer1
    KThiemer1 Posts: 6
    Options
    i ride a harley fatboy, 95 cubic in, also have a 1200 sportster.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

I'm contemplating making my UGW (and graduation present to myself) a motorcycle. Just not sure which one I would want. I'd like to hear your input!

Oh, and I'm not getting a dinky 250. I'm more interested in middle-weight 650's like the SV650, or Ninja 650. I also have interest in motards.

Yes I ride.... current primary bike is a 08 CBR1000RR 20101029_IMG_4140.jpg

good choice on the SV650... or the ninja.. both are great bikes.
    motards are fun, but you probably dont wnat one as your only bike.
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    Only as a pillion as I am too damn short to get my toes anywhere near the ground on anything over here !

Other half has a VFR800 nice compromise between sport and comfort much prefer it to the old ZZR600.

If I had legs long enough I'd love an old CBR900 Urban Tiger

http://urbantigerfireblade.bravepages.com/cbr900_94.html
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Yes, I ride. For the last 20 years, my primary ride has been a 1992 Heritage Softail Classic, but I've owned and ridden a lot of other bikes before and during that time.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Glad to see there are some people on here who a bike enthusiasts!

The bike I keep going to is the Ducati Monster 696, even though I know it wouldn't be the best bike for me to start on. Expensive, doesn't have great clearance (for leaning on the track), but it's so damn exotic! A real rare beast in this neck of the woods! Oh, and the sound! *drool*

My biggest problem with something like the SV650 is that EVERYONE has one! I love to be different, stand out from the crowd.

As for anyone saying that it would be a waste to buy an expensive bike, just to drop it (I know I will) and have it written off... That's what insurance is for. :P
  • BROscience_PHD
    BROscience_PHD Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My first Bike was a ZX6-r..Loved it
    Second Bike was a honda RC51 1000r vtwin, I frickeeng loved that bike, 2nd gear was a speeding ticket guaranteed.
    Current bike, 07 gsx r 600. always on B setting.Its Aight, not my favorite.
    I ride because I love anything that has wheels and goes vroom, really thats all.
  • VTXJOCKEY
    VTXJOCKEY Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I started with a 750 and found that I needed the extra cc's. Here's the deal. As a motorcycle rider you have to be very defensive for various reasons. But, there are also times where you need to be offensive. Times such as when someone is about to run you over and you need to get the hell out of the way FAST. The 750 didn't quiet to it for me and I'm not a big guy. I sold it and now ride a 1300 and it has plenty of throttle to get out of the way if I need to. Yes, I do know from experience. Just some food for thought.

Good luck and be safe out there!!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I did b4 i had kids...but now id like to start again
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    Does a scooter count?
    Walmart_motorized_shopping_carts350w_263h.jpg

Dont hate, congratulate!
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I started with a 750 and found that I needed the extra cc's. Here's the deal. As a motorcycle rider you have to be very defensive for various reasons. But, there are also times where you need to be offensive. Times such as when someone is about to run you over and you need to get the hell out of the way FAST. The 750 didn't quiet to it for me and I'm not a big guy. I sold it and now ride a 1300 and it has plenty of throttle to get out of the way if I need to. Yes, I do know from experience. Just some food for thought.

A 750 is a bit big for me, IMO. A 650 still has a decent amount of power, and plenty of torque. Going up to a 1300 would be too heavy for me. I'd like to be able to flick the bike through corners, and be able to manoeuvre it in town.
    Does a scooter count?

No. lol. Don't get me wrong, I like scooters. They have their place, but there isn't any sex appeal with one. I'm looking for more of a toy.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Rode dirt bikes (recreationally, not competetively) when I was younger, and have been riding cruisers for the last six years. Restarted as a practical matter when gas hit $1.45/litre and so went looking for a fairly cheap bike. Found an 83 Honda Magna for $1300 and started riding again. Loved it so much that, in 2009, I went looking for a new bike. After much research and side-by-side comparisons, I was at the dealer looking at a very reasonable 09 Suzuki Boulevard C50SE for only $8300. They had a used one with a plate still on so I took it for a test drive and, honestly, you could not punch the smile off my face. 50 CI (805 cc), shaft drive, fuel injected, windshield, saddle bags & sissy bar - all together a perfect package at a very reasonable price.
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    Mmm Ducati Monster Dark .. now that is a seriously nice bike !
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this as an insult because I don't mean for it to be but, you sound a bit inexperienced with riding.
    With that said, virtually ANY sportbike you get will have the ability to perform WAY better then you can ride.
    You spoke about the Ducati and leaning. I am almost gaurentee you that this bike will lean just fine at the skill level I am thinking you are on.
    Again, not an insult, just age and experience talking.
    Now, the bikes I have owned in, (what I hope to be) in order. I will exculde off road only bikes.

1982 Honda CM125
    1978 Honda XL175
    1984 Honda Interceptor 500
    1985 Honda Interceptor 750
    1994 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
    1995 Harley Davidson Super Glide
    1996 Harley Davidson Low Rider
    1980 Honda CBX
    1997 Yamaha R7 (best handeling bike I ever owned)
    1996 Ducati 916
    1998 Honda Shadow 750
    2002 RC51 (the only bike that ever scared me enough to sell it based on fear alone)
    2001 Hayabusa
    2001 Harley Davidson Road King (police special)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I ride a "dinky 250", Yamaha Virago 2005. You need to start somewhere. Have you ever rode before? Do you have an endorsement? A 650 is an okay place to start for a guy but as a 135lb female, a 250 is plenty of bike for me to handle.

Edited to add: Sex appeal is not a good reason to start riding. You need to have a passion for riding and riding well, or you'll just be another careless jerk who gives us all bad names.