Do You Ride a Motorcycle?

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this as an insult because I don't mean for it to be but, you sound a bit inexperienced with riding.
    With that said, virtually ANY sportbike you get will have the ability to perform WAY better then you can ride.
    You spoke about the Ducati and leaning. I am almost gaurentee you that this bike will lean just fine at the skill level I am thinking you are on.
    Again, not an insult, just age and experience talking.

That's quite alright. I intend to get a bike I can really grow into. I am well aware/experienced with the idea of not fighting the bike if **** starts to hit the fan - got that from mountain biking - just let it do it's thing underneath you, and physics will sort it out. If you try to fight it, then you'll push the boundaries of traction and you'll go down.
    I ride a "dinky 250", Yamaha Virago 2005. You need to start somewhere. Have you ever rode before? Do you have an endorsement? A 650 is an okay place to start for a guy but as a 135lb female, a 250 is plenty of bike for me to handle.

Edited to add: Sex appeal is not a good reason to start riding. You need to have a passion for riding and riding well, or you'll just be another careless jerk who gives us all bad names.

My UGW is about 180lbs. A 250, even modified, will be a dog to ride. That wouldn't be safe for me, because I know that you need to brake to get out of bad situations as often as you need to accelerate. Most 650's have a very smooth power band, so they don't run away on you as easily.

I didn't mean the "sex appeal" thing as in "I'm going to get one of these so I can show off and get laid." Not my thing. I hate speeding and driving recklessly. In a car, I'm one of those people who piss everyone else by driving like an old woman. :P

It's the emotional/spiritual aspect of riding that draws me towards it. No car gets my heart racing does like a beautiful, naked sports bike. I don't want to go fast. I want to feel the wind rushing by me, smell the scenery, and see the road fly by underneath me. You don't get that in a car.

I also realize that not getting proper training and riding like an idiot will get me killed. I have no intentions on increasing the statistics.

I've always wanted to ride, even when I was in my single-digit years.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    OK.. after reading all of your stuff here are my suggestions as a first bike.
    My criteria is the following:

1: Power. It is fast enough to get out of trouble but not enough torque to kill you by cracking the "go fast" side.

2: Looks. Sexy enough but not SO sexy that you are afraid of getting it scratched.

3: Handeling: It appears that you DO want to corner this thing and have a few high speed jaunts.

4: Durability: Bikes suck when they are in the shop more often then the road.

So (drum roll)
    Honda CBR600 F2.
    Yamaha YZF600
    Suzuki GSX600

Notice that these are all "sports" bikes and not "super" bikes. That is there for a reason.
    Secondly, these are all inline 4's and not Twins. The V twins will put you on your butt if you screw up. the inline 4's are a bit more forgiving.
    And finally, these are all USED bikes so WHEN you go down, you won't be as heartbroken.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    OP...I was just like you...when I was younger...I was in love with the Suzuki 650 sv...but like you said... a lot of people have them...

I switched to naked sport bikes like the Kawasaki ER 6n..This is the one I have:

24384509_1320.jpg

My next bike is going to be the Honda CB1000

24384509_1592.jpg

or the Kawaski z1000
    24384509_4995.jpg

Good call on the Ducati Monster 696
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    OK.. after reading all of your stuff here are my suggestions as a first bike.
    My criteria is the following:

1: Power. It is fast enough to get out of trouble but not enough torque to kill you by cracking the "go fast" side.

2: Looks. Sexy enough but not SO sexy that you are afraid of getting it scratched.

3: Handeling: It appears that you DO want to corner this thing and have a few high speed jaunts.

4: Durability: Bikes suck when they are in the shop more often then the road.

So (drum roll)
    Honda CBR600 F2.
    Yamaha YZF600
    Suzuki GSX600

Notice that these are all "sports" bikes and not "super" bikes. That is there for a reason.
    Secondly, these are all inline 4's and not Twins. The V twins will put you on your butt if you screw up. the inline 4's are a bit more forgiving.
    And finally, these are all USED bikes so WHEN you go down, you won't be as heartbroken.

totally like how this guy thinks...

Here is how I chose my bike...

I wanted something different, fast, sporty, but not too sporty or expensive that I would cry if I dropped it....

Kawasaki ER 6n is a good starting bike...HOWEVER....I am already to upgrade and I have only had my bike a year and some change... :(

Still love my bike...but ready for the the Z1000 or the Honda CB 1000
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I read his post as well.

Would you seriously consider a bike with 100hp good for a beginner? Really?

I don't want a litre bike, and not sure if I ever will want one. 650's already have decent power, and I like my vehicles to be as light as possible. 1L bikes are heavier, usually, right? lol

I sound like I don't know jack!
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I had a 2007 HD Streetbob back in 2009, but sold it in 2010. It was basically an impulse buy, and i put maybe 600 miles on it. Never really enjoyed it like i wanted to, but i know better if there's a next time.
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Nope, too chicken lol.
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have a 2009 HD Softtail Heritage Classic. I ride most weekends usually 300-400 miles.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    the ER 6n is 449 lbs

the z1000 is 481 lbs

Honda CB 1000 is 540 lbs

the ER 6n is really light...I can handle it like a rag doll...I only weigh 160 lbs....

But I agree I think it's up to the maturity level of the rider....I think a 1000cc bike is ok for a beginner if he/she is mature and knows to let off on the throttle....

but the ER 6n is 650 cc's and I can already tell I want more power...I had my bike since last year around March.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Well, one thing I will like to do regularly is take it to the track. One thing I know for sure: Only the best riders in the world can bring a 1000cc bike to it's full potential. With that in mind: What's the point?

A lot of people on 600's or 650's are faster than guys on 1L's.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    Well, one thing I will like to do regularly is take it to the track. One thing I know for sure: Only the best riders in the world can bring a 1000cc bike to it's full potential. With that in mind: What's the point?

A lot of people on 600's or 650's are faster than guys on 1L's.

oh...I see what you mean....Ok...I thiink you should go with the Ducati if you want to be different and take it to the track....
    If you don't mind being a lot like others..then go with a Suzuki....

My bike is a street fighter....VERY VERY light and agile....It's for maneuvering in and out of tight spaces..Not good bike for a track...unless I supe it up...
  • Long_and_Lean
    Long_and_Lean Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I started on my plastic fantastic 250 Ninja (Ninjette!) I am currently on the hunt for something bigger, probably an R6 or 600RR. I wouldn't go bigger than a 600. I love the R6 but the seat is pretty wide so I would have to drop it significantly to even think about flat-footing (I just don't feel comfortable if I can't flat foot).

Also, I highly recommend taking the MSF if you're a novice rider.

26970_637852276808_5077011_n.jpg
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    ducait monster 696 is only 355 lbs...

Llighter than the ER 6n

I may test ride one of those..
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    I started on my plastic fantastic 250 Ninja (Ninjette!) I am currently on the hunt for something bigger, probably an R6 or 600RR. I wouldn't go bigger than a 600. I love the R6 but the seat is pretty wide so I would have to drop it significantly to even think about flat-footing (I just don't feel comfortable if I can't flat foot).

Also, I highly recommend taking the MSF if you're a novice rider.

26970_637852276808_5077011_n.jpg

Yea...I agree...the MSF is great..I took the one provided by APEX...best investment for any rider.

AND YES! if I can't flat foot...I am not buying it...
  • Long_and_Lean
    Options
    ps. I adored that "dinky" ninja, even though it was a total beater. I loved working on it, fixing things, it was *MY* damn bike. Don't knock 'em. I know someone that races 250's and beats out the bigger bikes.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ride 2up but don't drive. Honda Shadow Sabre 1100, cruiser!! Crusin' to NC mountains end of July.
  • friend2cptsolo
    friend2cptsolo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    BE CAREFUL. Sport bikes have major speed.... even the small engine ones. I have been on a Yamaha VStar(cruiser) for years now, primary vehicle.
  • Long_and_Lean
    Options
    imho, the size of the engine has more to do with the size of the rider than how fast you want to go. If you're a big guy, then yes, a 250 may be a lil sluggish for you. If you're under 200lbs, you don't need a liter bike to fly.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    BE CAREFUL. Sport bikes have major speed.... even the small engine ones. I have been on a Yamaha VStar(cruiser) for years now, primary vehicle.

Unless your cruiser can't go faster than 20 mph then it really doesn't matter

Most motorcycle accidents happen between the speeds of 21 mph and 30 mph....
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I read his post as well.

Would you seriously consider a bike with 100hp good for a beginner? Really?

I don't want a litre bike, and not sure if I ever will want one. 650's already have decent power, and I like my vehicles to be as light as possible. 1L bikes are heavier, usually, right? lol

I sound like I don't know jack!
    It's not the Horsepower that will get you tossed off; it's the torque.
    Two of my previous bikes were the RC51 and the GSXR1300 (Hayabusa)
    Now, the Busa was an amazingingly FAST motorcycle with around 150 HP to the RC51 "only" putting out somewhere around 115.
    But, the TORQUE is what makes the front wheel aim for the sky and the RC51 has TONS of it.

All of the bikes I listed are between 80 and 100 HP but, unless you REALLY crack the throttle HARD, you will have a hard time standing one up on the rear wheel. That will keep you safe.
    At least until you have few thousand miles of riding under your belt. THEN you can go bigger if you want.
    The 600 series bikes are very "flickable" but it really does come down to the rider and his or her abilities.
    a good rider on a FZR600 will outride a crappy rider on an R6.

If you get one of these bikes used, you will save a ton of money and, once you decide to take the training wheels off and get something a bit more "you", you can sell that used bike at a minimal financial loss (if any).