Guys can you help me out? Nurturing relationships?????

Options
Alluring72
Alluring72 Posts: 50 Member
For the first time in my life I feel like I am in a "healthy" relationship and a friend of mine suggested that I take the time to "nurture" the relationship. I have general ideas about this, but would love input from you Guys out there. What does you SO do to nurture your relationship that you are very thankful for or what do you wish your SO would do to nurture your relationship??????

Replies

• debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Ask your significant other what he would like- don't ask other males. (Sorry- I'm a female). But I am happily married 29 years...
    Good luck to you and congrats for finding a healthy relationship!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    lots of sexy time.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Show an interest in his hobbies..but don't try to take them over.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    B.J.....end/
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    ask your other half what he would want to do to nurture the relationship, maybe more dates or day trips together maybe a romantic holiday, ive recently moved in with my Fiancé i dropped everything to move into his place and his country ( he is from the Netherlands and i from the UK)

so yeah discuss it with him im sure he would love to plan some stuff with you to help the relationship progress :)

goodluck x

oh feel free to add me too :)
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    trust and be trustworthy
    be honest and ask for honesty
    be yourself (warts and all) and encourage your SO to be themselves
    treat others as you would want to be treated.

ignore psycho-babble relationship advice
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i like how my girlfriend is so helpful and relized this after she almost died had a big scare just the other day i was comming home for lunch and when i opened the door i heard her making strange sounds thank god the cable guy was in there he was holding her from behind and giving her what i later found out through her was the heimlich maneuver i mean he was really trying too almost lifting her off the floor with each thrust he apparenty disloged it cuz i heard her saying oh god oh god it musta been frightening for her to pray like that , mannn he was such a nice guy too not only did he save her life he gave me 328 free channels of cable , mannn you dont find good people like that ever day
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    something people often forget,

treat your partner with the same respect and politeness you would anyone else.
    say thank you, please, ask if they would like, would mind, will need.
    smile, ask how their day was, say good morning and good night.

people forget that these little things matter, that they stop people feeling like they're being taken for granted. these little things done every day mean more than any grand gesture or romantic scheme. these things are the foundadtions on which healthy relationships are built.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    *punked*
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    one thing I learned from my parents, if you both take care of and spoil the other, both get taken care of and spoiled. Too many people seem to look out only for themselves in a relationship, if you each only take care of your own needs, you both still get taken care of, but there isnt that lovey feeling. And if someone isnt taking care of you, above themselves, or you the same, reevaluate the relationship.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Taking the time to speak your partner's "language" is important... In other words, figuring out what makes him feel loved, and doing that. For you, it may be verbal affection. For him, it may be physical intimacy or spending quality time together or getting gifts or leaving little notes or something else. I always have good results when I figure out what makes another person feel loved (it's usually different than things that make ME feel loved) and spending the time to make them feel appreciated in the way that is most significant to them as an individual.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    one thing I learned from my parents, if you both take care of and spoil the other, both get taken care of and spoiled. Too many people seem to look out only for themselves in a relationship, if you each only take care of your own needs, you both still get taken care of, but there isnt that lovey feeling. And if someone isnt taking care of you, above themselves, or you the same, reevaluate the relationship.

This absolutely works... But only if you're in the RIGHT relationship. If you're in the wrong one, putting your partner's needs and wants above your own makes you feel resentful and neglected. If you're in the right one, it's like a self-renewing energy source :) I love seeing people who have relationships like this.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    thankyou soooo much for your concern apparently the cable guy is just part time she says he is really a nurse and shes been going there three times a week for treatment , free of charge if you can believe that mannnnn such good people in this world

[/quote]
    did she get checked out by a doc/nurse after? it's a life saving move but carries a small risk of causing internal injuries. a lot of people aren't aware of this. glad to hear she was ok!

/hijack.
    [/quote]
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Men are easy.

Steak and a BJ
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

This absolutely works... But only if you're in the RIGHT relationship. If you're in the wrong one, putting your partner's needs and wants above your own makes you feel resentful and neglected. If you're in the right one, it's like a self-renewing energy source :) I love seeing people who have relationships like this.

I agree the relationship has to be right for it to work out like that, but I personally could stand anything less after seeing it work out. My parents still go on dates, hold hands and make out like teenagers, but they also vacation separately at least once a year, have separate friend circles etc. I told my husband when we were first getting serious to pay attention to my parents, I wanted someone who loved me like my dad loves my mom; that didnt scare him away lol
  • Jani2416
    Jani2416 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    stroke their ego once in awhile.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    i like how my girlfriend is so helpful and relized this after she almost died had a big scare just the other day i was comming home for lunch and when i opened the door i heard her making strange sounds thank god the cable guy was in there he was holding her from behind and giving her what i later found out through her was the heimlich maneuver i mean he was really trying too almost lifting her off the floor with each thrust he apparenty disloged it cuz i heard her saying oh god oh god it musta been frightening for her to pray like that , mannn he was such a nice guy too not only did he save her life he gave me 328 free channels of cable , mannn you dont find good people like that ever day

oh lawd...I can see how this went over some heads...lol
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    did she get checked out by a doc/nurse after? it's a life saving move but carries a small risk of causing internal injuries. a lot of people aren't aware of this. glad to hear she was ok!

/hijack.

I think something just flew over your head, oh wait it was his response.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    For the first time in my life I feel like I am in a "healthy" relationship and a friend of mine suggested that I take the time to "nurture" the relationship. I have general ideas about this, but would love input from you Guys out there. What does you SO do to nurture your relationship that you are very thankful for or what do you wish your SO would do to nurture your relationship??????

If it's not broke, don't fix it.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Men are easy.

Steak and a BJ

Isn't that only on March 14th?