Do you eat too fast?

Options
InnerFatGirl
InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
I eat way too fast. It's annoying. I love eating, so I'd like to enjoy it, but I just tend to wolf it down. I usually finish a meal in less than five minutes.

So,

1). Do you eat too fast? Be honest. There's no shame here.

2). Any tips to help me slow down and enjoy my food? (other than not eating in front of the tv, chewing food x amount of times, counting to 30, putting the fork down, etc).

Ta! ^_^

Replies

• Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I use to. Now I eat slow but with HUGE bites. I dont even pay attention to it until my mouth is overflowing with food! Lol
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I'm a fast eater, my wife is slow so I have gotten used to waiting a lot.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I only have a 30 minute lunch and eat at my desk. I hoover my lunch!!
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I take a drink of water in between every couple bites or so... seems to help me slow down. I eat way too fast sometimes too... with a history of jobs where a 15 minute lunch is all I get, I learned to eat too fast... It's hard to slow back down, but you can do it if you focus.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat like it's going out of style. At work when we sit down to eat it consists of me chomping down for a few minutes and then watching everyone else, haha.
    I mean, I try to either talk in between bites, drink a sip of something between bites, that type of thing.
    It's really hard though, bc I love eating too, and I can't wait to finish the food.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am a slow eater, I think it's annoyed my husband a few times when we are out, he's payed the check and I still have half my food.

One thing I would suggest is to take a sip of water between every bite.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I totally do this!!! My husbad use to joke about guys that just got out of boot camp, and how fast they would eat (used to be in the Marine Corp) and now it has switched to I eat like I just got out of boot camp :-? I overeat this way too!! I have found that I wolf down a few bites, then I GET UP. I do a dish, or pick up the coffee table-- I portion left overs or ANYTHING other than sit in front of my plate!! Usually just moving around once, a few bites into my meal gives the food time to hit my belly and start to fill me up. I know it ssoundscrazy, but trial and error--this is the ONLY way I can stop myself from harfing down EVERYTHING ON MY PLATE!
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I use to. Now, I sit at the table and eat with my left hand. It makes me eat slower because I am natural right handed.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I eat fast, I think it's because I grew up with brothers. In my house, it was eat fast or don't eat. My boyfriend is unbelieveably slow at eating, even his friends and relatives make jokes about how slow he is. We eat dinner and I'm done and have the kitchen clean by the time he finishes.
  • moore820
    moore820 Posts: 5
    Options
    yes :/
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Fast eater. typically I am done with entire plate before my wife and my children have taken 3 or 4 bites. But its because they are talkers while eating and Im a eater then I talk. :D
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are both fast eaters. We finish our entire dinner in usually under 10 minutes.

It contributes to me also eating too much sometimes. What I do now is I make sure I portion my meal on my plate before I eat to the right amount. Even though I still eat fast, I don't go back for seconds which prevents me from overeating. Even though it takes a while for my body to catch up to realize "hey, you're full!" I know I at least did not overeat.
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I know that I eat way too fast, especially when I'm eating by myself, and I'm not really sure how to slow down. When I'm with people I don't eat because I can't stop talking, but other then that I'm SOL.
  • thebomb4
    thebomb4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hahaha these posts made me giggle! I think its because I can so relate to it....my nickname is "hurricane stace" which my boyfriend stole from my sister who is "hurricane gem".

We've been brought up as fast eaters and I still cannot break the bad habit!!

Any new ideas welcome to try help us hurricaner's slow down lol??
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I used to yes! :) But now I really do try to slow down and eat properly! :)
  • missywill1
    missywill1 Posts: 23
    Options
    I eat way too fast....after having a baby it started and I have never changed.:sad:
  • jcriscuolo
    jcriscuolo Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I eat fast unless I am eating Chinese with chop sticks.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've eaten fast since I was a baby, I always hear stories about how my mom or gramma would have to shovel the food in as fast as they could or I would just scream. I don't even realize how fast I eat these days until I'm done with a whole grinder before my gram is done with half of hers. I do slow it down now though because the slower you eat the more time you let your body actually feel the full feeling and I end up eating less and then not having that overfull feeling. I also focus on slowing down so I can actually enjoy the food more, granted sometimes I just don't give a heck and I eat at my fast pace haha.
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I got used to eating fast when my children were little, with three kids there always something happening ! So I learned to wolf down bites in between whatever was spilled, crying, complaining, etc.

But now, its worse.

I really dislike it !!
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I do, and trying to remember to slow down!! It's like I'm on a mission to get it done, get the table cleaned, dishes loaded and.... lol like a fastforward until relaxation time.
    I try to sip water in between bites. I like the left hand idea. Might give that a try!....might end up wearing more food than eating...might help with the waiste line!