Do you eat too fast?

Replies

• RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    i do the same, when i realize i am doing it, i just make myself slow down, but then i find myself speeding back up like it's my last meal or something. u just have to force urself to slow down and hopefully it will eventually become a habit
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    yes bcause as a child if i didn,t my brothers would pinch my food:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: so im now scared itll get pinched
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    I use to. Now, I sit at the table and eat with my left hand. It makes me eat slower because I am natural right handed.

I should try this. I'm a fast eater myself. Great tip!
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    I'm a fast eater, my wife is slow so I have gotten used to waiting a lot.

THIS!!!!
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    1: Yes I do. It's always been a problem. I grew up in a house of 8 people and you had to eat really fast if you wanted seconds of your favorite food. So it's been a lifelong bad habit.
    2: I don't know if it would work for you, but... I love to sing. I do it all the time, it's one thing I'm good at, so it makes me feel good. I cannot resist singing songs that I know. So, if I play music while I'm eating, I sing for at least 30-90 seconds in between each bite. That slows me down quite a bit so I'm not eating too much. It's been a great help in controlling how fast/how much I eat.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Yep. The public school system taught me to shovel my lunch in ten minutes, and now I'm stuck in that habit. Basic training isn't going to help, either. Haha. The only way I can slow down is if I count my chewing.
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Yes i do. mine was because my dad gave us 10 minuets to eat said no hurry I will just leave the car running. by the time he died and I could slow down it was a habit. i have to train me slower
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    I eat way too fast. I am usually done dinner in under 5 min or even less. My husband makes comments when I start clearing the table while he is still eating. Although lately he finished before me a few times and got up before me and I didn't like that feeling so I will try to be more mindful of it.
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    I used to, because of being in the military..but since, I have "Changed my Life Style," I don't anymore.
    Not sure why..maybe because I am now more AWARE of what I am putting into my body, am eating healthier, food tastes better now that I know I am adding FUEL to my body instead of just wolfing down a BIG bag of chips.

Also, I read while I eat, and I speed read, so I have to stop, wipe hands, turn page..takes some time.

Good luck in your quest for a solution..

In His Grace,
    Sister Nicolette
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Nope, I've always been a super slow eater haha.

Eat foods you don't enjoy, you'll be eating slow then ;)
  • Mountainbiker2015
    Mountainbiker2015 Posts: 129 Member
    I eat way too fast. It's annoying. I love eating, so I'd like to enjoy it, but I just tend to wolf it down. I usually finish a meal in less than five minutes.

So,

1). Do you eat too fast? Be honest. There's no shame here.

2). Any tips to help me slow down and enjoy my food? (other than not eating in front of the tv, chewing food x amount of times, counting to 30, putting the fork down, etc).

Ta! ^_^
    I have this problem too.....always have. You would think someone was going to take my food off my plate if I don't eat it fast enough. I have tried to eat slower by engaging in conversation with the family more while I am eating, sometimes I read a book, etc. It is hard as hell sometimes.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    I eat like a Hoover! :blushing:
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    I'm a fast eater but just in these past two weeks that I've been with MFP I've made a concious effort to take more time. What helps me is chatting with someone - it's more fun than eating alone anyways :)

Also, I used to be the one who set down a plate of food and went atter. Now, I put the plate down and actually take a minute to look and appreciate what I'm about to put into my body! It's great practice and ultimately gives you a new perspective on what you SHOULD be eating.

Less hiccups too! Haha!

Good luck!
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    I use to. Now, I sit at the table and eat with my left hand. It makes me eat slower because I am natural right handed.

This is interesting... I'll have to try it!
    I'm a fast eater too. Like some of the other posters, I try to take sips of water in between bites (plus it fills me up). I also try to finish chewing and swallowing what's in my mouth before putting more in... Easier said than done sometimes!
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    1) I power through my food. I had to learn to portion food ahead of time, and if I'm still hungry after eating what I SHOULD be eating, I just drink water until I'm no longer hungry (generally 15-20 mins after I started eating). Over time I've found I have been eating less, even though I still eat just as fast.

2) These are things that work for me:
    - Strike up an interesting conversation... I eat slowest when I'm engaged in a dialogue. If I'm staring at my plate I shovel food even faster.
    - Cut things up into smaller pieces, works better when preparing food, but also when eating it. More pieces means more time shoveling.
    - Another tip is eat more, lower calorie (but still healthy!) food... eating 2 cups of steamed broccoli will take me a lot longer than eating something that is smaller but more calorie dense - for example almonds.
    - Eating with chopsticks CAN slow you down.... until/unless you pick up the plate and just use them as a tool to scrape the plate into your mouth. >.>
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    I, too, am a fast eater. I'm a nurse, so even on my lunch breaks, there's a chance I could be called away! I inhale my lunch before it has even had time to cool off sometimes, because I HATE to have to leave my lunch half-eaten to go back to work!

Unfortunately, this habit also follows me home. When my boyfriend and I eat dinner, sometimes I am completely done before he's halfway through! I've had to do the 'counting' thing while at home sometimes to force myself to slow down and enjoy my meal.
  • bkw2488
    bkw2488 Posts: 190 Member
    I eat really fast also.... Think some of it has to do with being in a rush all the time between work and kids activities going on. I find myself telling the kids to Hurry up and I remind myself to stop doing it! Or being so hungry by the time I get to eat. I to have been working on ways to slow down my eating.... So hard to remeber until the food is mostly gone :smile:
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Yes I have always been a fast eater. It's so unladylike, but eh, what can ya do? I don't like to eat slow, LOL.
  • afrazier128
    afrazier128 Posts: 99 Member
    I am addicted to Sudoku. I find if I work on a puzzle (book and pencil, not an e-puzzle) while I'm eating, I eat much more slowly - putting the fork down, chewing slowly and more thoroughly, etc - since I am distracted. Any kind of puzzle you enjoy would work!
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    I am a fast eater. I have tried everything to stop also. Sometimes in the middle of a meal I get up and put dishes away or load the dishwasher or don't put out my drink so I have to get up during the meal to get it. This helps me slow down a little. I also cut my food as I go along (including pizza days) to help keep it slow. I also used chop sticks for everything for a while but all that did was improve my chop stick skills and I started eating fast again. If I keep my food in moderation I don't worry about the speed anymore. Good luck.