afraid to weigh myself...

Options
I used to weigh 130 lbs.. which i was happy with.. but ive gained alot of weight... up past 150 lbs.. im extremely terrified of weighing myself because I know it will be a terrifying number on the scale.. but i think that i need to weigh myself in order to concentrate and focus on the weight i need to lose... what is everyones opinions? anyone else fought this battle?

PLZ friend request me, new account, new goals, NEED NEW MOTIVATION. much love xox

Replies

• Disneyfan05
    Disneyfan05 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi. Just face the number, accept it and move forward. You can do this! Set a small goal......like 5 lbs......reach it and keep going for another 5. Reward yourself with a new item of clothing at each 10 pound goal.
  • xlostdecember
    Options
    Hey there,

I have scale phobia myself. I weighed myself right before I started my weight loss so I just know where I was and can track achievements. After that, I recommend hiding the scale for yourself and don't weigh yourself for months while you work out/eat right. I have tried weighing myself weekly and found that it hurt me more than helped, especially when I hit a plateau. I would end up giving up because the numbers weren't moving. Not weighing myself is what seems to be best for me. :)
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Don't let that scare you. The only time I'm afraid to weigh myself is in public. However, in a dark corner by myself, I'll hop on that scale five times a day just to make sure it says the same thing every time. now, that I started working out and trying to get my weight down. I'm a little scare sometimes because it might go up...and yeah
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i used to weigh 122 lbs. i now weigh about 133 lbs. clothes fit the same. i gained a lot of muscle. im not saying you gained muscle, but i'm saying that number on the scale can be very daunting.

i don't weigh myself. maybe once a month out of curiosity. I can be bloated and gain 5 lbs of water, but in my mind its 5 lbs of fat. this stresses me out and leads to binging.

i would rather eat healthy, exercise, live life NOT fixating on a number that means nothing. I go by how i feel and how i look in MY opinion.

others will tell you this is the only way they keep track and hold themselves accountable. its personal preferance really.

in my opinion, scales are evil.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    yea i know how you feel. every time i step foot on a scale, i'm afraid of what its gonna say. i always hold my breath while weighing myself, cuz i'm that freaked out. lol. just get it over with.

;) good luck.
  • ahigg396
    ahigg396 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I had this same fear. I knew I had gained weight. I had always been 130 and weighed myself EVERYday, without fail, but after Thanksgiving and Christmas last year, I binged like a crazy person and continued to ignore the scale...for SIX and a half whole months! I had to just take the plunge so I would know where to set my goals and how long it would take me to reasonably reach them, given my starting point. And in the end, you know what? It wasn't as high as I thought it would be. Go ahead and do it now!
  • Colleen_G
    Colleen_G Posts: 57
    Options
    I was terrified to weigh myself. I had to go buy a special scale that actually went up that high.

But...I faced it, wrote it down and then set it aside. You won't know how far you have come unless you know where you started.

When I did this, I told myself I would only weigh myself once a month in order to evaluate if I need any changes to my eating/exercise programs.

So far...so good.
  • i_love_pickles
    Options
    yes, infact i have.... i hate stepping on the scale so what i do is.. i only weigh myself once a week to see if i have lost any weight other than that i just go by how my cloths fit... If you have an old pair of jeans and try to put them on dont be discoraged if they don't fit how you would want them... Make it a goal to fit in those jeans in the back of the closet...oh and also dont let your weight control you you control it.... don't be scared you have to stand up and face your fears show the scale who is boss...lol(:
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Yep - get on the scale, face the facts, and vow to never see that number again. :noway:
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Just think of it this way: the higher the number at the start, the more awesome you will feel for getting to your goal weight. Mine served as motivation. I never wanted to see that number again!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I'm past 150 myself (I finally got under 160 this Tuesday!) :drinker: Yeah, the number sucks but it's just a number. I'm trying to focus more on measurements this time around and how I'm feeling than the number-easier said than done but everyone here is so supportive it's been easier! I know it's tough but once you see the number remind yourself you'll lose it and be back in the 130's and happy with yourself. I'm going to send you a friend request if you want some support
  • kam5507
    kam5507 Posts: 40
    Options
    I used to weigh 130 lbs.. which i was happy with.. but ive gained alot of weight... up past 150 lbs.. im extremely terrified of weighing myself because I know it will be a terrifying number on the scale.. but i think that i need to weigh myself in order to concentrate and focus on the weight i need to lose... what is everyones opinions? anyone else fought this battle?

I hear ya, I too was about 133, then I got to 163 and I am only 5'3 and I am past 150lbs. I hate scales, don't even own one. Think I must get one to do this, funny I just wrote this on my status. You got this, it's just a number! As you get in shape that weight will end up being muscle weight! I just started P90X I am doing night 4 tonight! Which exercise programs are you using? I am having the harder time with nutrition, I hate to eat
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I do think that you should weigh yourself to start with. Just to give yourself a number of where you're at, and then let it go, because that's all it is: a silly little number.

Sure, you can weigh yourself monthly or so to see what progress you're making, but trust me, once the first 10 or so pounds come off, you'll start seeing those tiny little changes that are the most motivating things of all. Not even telling myself that I've lost 20 lbs makes me feel half as good as putting on those old jeans that hadn't fit me in so long.
  • khopkins516
    khopkins516 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE feels that way. Or if not, most people. It's not a fun thing to do, to look at that number.

It's even harder when you feel like you've been working hard and that number doesn't change.

I'd agree that you should weigh yourself just to see where you're at. But if you're like me and you beat yourself up ALL day if the number doesn't change or if it (heaven forbid) goes up, then you might be better off only weighing yourself every month or so. That way you can focus on how you feel and how your clothes fit. :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

You are torturing yourself unnecessarily you know. You need to know what you weigh in order to sort yourself out, just jump on the scales, log your weight on MFP for your own benefit and then you can get going with your eating and drinking plans.

If you don't weigh yourself, you won't have a clue what you need to do.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Face your fear and get on the scale, just don't make the scale the be all and end all of your successes. The scale does lie and doesn't always accurately portray you! So also get out that tape measure. And as you go along this journey take mental notes of how your clothes are feeling. Praise yourself with a mental high five every time you choose a healthy food choice over a poor food choice. You can do this, get real with yourself but do not make your focus the number on that scale!
  • shawnakuipery
    shawnakuipery Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to step on the scale tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the advice, please friend request me ! I forgot my last account info so I had to make a new account.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i used to weigh 122 lbs. i now weigh about 133 lbs. clothes fit the same. i gained a lot of muscle. im not saying you gained muscle, but i'm saying that number on the scale can be very daunting.

i don't weigh myself. maybe once a month out of curiosity. I can be bloated and gain 5 lbs of water, but in my mind its 5 lbs of fat. this stresses me out and leads to binging.

i would rather eat healthy, exercise, live life NOT fixating on a number that means nothing. I go by how i feel and how i look in MY opinion.

others will tell you this is the only way they keep track and hold themselves accountable. its personal preferance really.

^^^ All of this.

Especially this:

And this:
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    TC,

That number you see will show you how far you have fallen...it will help you meet your goal...one step at a time.....try to lose 5 or so lbs a month and see where that gets you.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It is what it is. Kinda' like not opening that piece of mail that you don't want to see, even though you know it's there, Take a big breath and rip the band-aid off. It usually doesn't hurt as much as trying to s-l-o-w-l-y pull it off. You're stressing now, but once it's done, it's done and you can move forward. You can do it!

gawd, rereading this I realize it looks like a cliche bomb just exploded. But really - it means well.