afraid to weigh myself...

Options

Replies

• auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Just think of it this way: the higher the number at the start, the more awesome you will feel for getting to your goal weight....

You'll have a greater sense of accomplishment when you get to your goal.
    But don't worry about getting there quickly. Since you don't have that much to lose, it goes slower, be patient with yourself.
    The real accomplishment comes in maintenance... Think about sustainable habits you can carry with you for the long haul.

Good Luck...
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You should definitely weigh yourself! You are already walking around and living your life the way you are. Putting a number on it isn't going to make it any worse. It might make it more real to you, but it's great to have that starting number. If you do lose weight, and never weigh yourself at the beginning, you won't even know what you lost! Weight yourself, and know it will go down from there :smile:
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    It has actually been a REALLY positive thing for me to own those numbers (even though they're huge!) I say my weight out loud now knowing that I'll never have to say those numbers again. It feels really good.
  • 33Jones
    33Jones Posts: 12
    Options
    You need to weigh your self.... I know it sucks but I was in denial for so long my avg weight is 135-160 and I was happy with that. For the past to years I have gained so much I got into size 15-16. I kept saying its not that bad I probably gained like 15 pounds. Finally after someone said something about how I used to be " so little and what happened?" and going to the doc being told I had a thyroid issue and was considered "obese" .. turns out I weigh almost 230 ... It hurts really badly to sit down and know I did this to myself. But any how yes it is good to weigh so you have an idea of how much you would like to loose.
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Been here and soooooooooooooo done this!!! I feel you, girl! And if you think above 150 is scary, ya shoulda seen my numbers- you'd have had a stroke!!

First thing - be in a positive frame of mind (don't do it when you are crabby and having a bad day).
    Second - forgive yourself for gaining weight and give yourself permission to be ok with whatever number pops up.
    Third - understand that this number does not define you. It's just a number and you have the power to change it.

You can't change the past but you CAN START FROM TODAY. From today you can change everything!! Go through these self-talk points and hop on that scale. I think you will be relieved when it's over. :flowerforyou: Good luck.
  • determined136
    Options
    You have to start somewhere....Jump on the scale...take you measurements and pictures. Then get to it! You can do it and trust me you will want to have the photos to prove how far you have come! Best of luck
  • lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh 127 for many years and when I hit my 30s, my weight skyrocketed to over 150. I've managed to get it down to 141 lbs but the scale is always my enemy. I actually try not to weigh myself very much because when I first started on this site, I got obsessed with it. I was weighing myself every day and getting depressed that the weight wasn't moving.

Like someone else said here, don't focus entirely on the scale or it will drive you crazy like it did me. Focus instead on a goal like feeling better or being able to build exercise endurance and you'll be much happier. The weight will come off but don't make that your primary focus.
  • melissaaguilar8
    Options
    I understand. At my heaviest I weighed 248 lbs. and having to get on a scale seemed very daunting but it is a starting point and not something to be avoided. It might also boost your desire to eat better to lose the weight.

7365937.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • melissaaguilar8
    Options
    I understand. At my heaviest I weighed 248 lbs. and having to get on a scale seemed very daunting but it is a starting point and not something to be avoided. It might also boost your desire to eat better to lose the weight.

7365937.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • stevanflores
    Options
    I agree with _stephanie0 in that tracking fitness/weight-loss using a scale is a personal preference. However, you need to track your progress somehow.

Personally, I weigh myself two or three times a day(!) during periods where I am actively pursuing a change, like now during summer while I am of work (I am an elementary school teacher). During the school year, I weigh myself daily, first thing in the morning.

For me, it's almost like a game. My numbers fluctuate wildly from day to day. I have seen myself "gain" 6 pounds in a day, but three days later, I am below by 7 pounds. I see what exercise and diet do to my body on a daily basis (mostly in water weight), but over the long run, I do see changes. Sometimes the changes show up more in how I feel than what the scale reads.

Even if you don't want to use a scale to track your changes, you need to track them somehow! You could, for example, do one or more of these:

* You could measure body fat using skin folds and calipers. If you are weight training, you could potentially lose fat but gain enough muscle that there is little to no scale change.

* Use a tape measure. Measure yourself in key locations like your kitchen and your bedroom. JK, of course I mean BODY locations like biceps, hips, waist, and thighs. After a couple weeks, measure again to see the change.

* Do a series of fitness tests. For example, do as many jumping jacks as possible in 1 minute. Do the same for push-ups, crunches, squats, etc. Record these numbers then repeat the test in two or three weeks. If you have been exercising regularly, you WILL see a difference.

* If you walk regularly, time yourself as you walk 1 mile. There are some really cool smartphone apps that make this really easy, but you can do it with a stopwatch and a treadmill or a local track at a park. Record the time and your perceived exertion from 1 (easy) to 10 (impossible). Then, after a couple weeks, repeat the test at the same location to compare results.

Keeping track of your progress is imperative in my opinion. If you don't keep track somehow, you will not be able to appreciate the fruits of your labor. Also, keeping track helps you figure out what works best for you.

That being said, realize that the body adapts to change in different ways, sometimes more quickly, sometimes more slowly. Don't be discouraged by slow change. The Grand Canyon is a really big hole, but it took a really, REALLY long time to get that way. Maybe your weight-loss journey will take a long time, but with diligence and determination, you could end up as impressive as the Grand Canyon!

Good luck!
  • nasamom2
    nasamom2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain!!! I just started using this app 2 weeks ago and when I signed up, I just put a number in for my weight which I thought sounded right. I've been doing well eating 1200 cals a day but you are right. We need to be realistic and face our fears!
  • lblackham1993
    Options
    omg yesssss!!!!!!! you just need to man up honestly. or else how will you know how much weight you've lost! I had exactly this and am so glad i weighed myself or when i jump on the scale feeling thin the number will still be terrifying to me because i wouldn't no its going down.

Think of it like. this is the highest number I'm ever going to be. you gotta reach rock bottom to climb back up. so you gotta reach the heights of the worst weight you've ever been/ever going to be again (hopefully) to start. think of it as a positive thing! :D
  • marymayt
    marymayt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself to see where you are then go from there change bad eating habits slowly if there are any you dont have to go cold turkey.exercise is a great way to go again start slowly and take it day by day there is no quick fix if there was imagine how we all would look today healthy eating and exercise is the key NOT DIETING dont be afraid of the scale even though it will probably never be our best friend
  • levstein
    levstein Posts: 74
    Options
    I know how you feel. I couldn't face knowing my true weight and I actually cried when the doctor weighed me. That was 2 weeks ago. I came home looked up the internet for guidance and somehow found this site. I am getting on with the healthy eating exercising regime and loving it. The numbers on the scales are going down nicely and more than that I feel positive healthier and I'm in control. I am changing my life because I want to for health reasons but more than that I deserve to be the person I am not hidden beneath layers of fat. Let's break free with the support encouragement and knowledge available on this site.:happy:
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you're traumatized about your potential weight to the point where, when you see the number, it might hurt your resolve or your self esteem, I'd say don't weigh yourself. Those numbers are so ingrained into us that it's hard to see them objectively.

Instead, I would suggest using a tape measure. Just make sure you measure thoroughly (not just waist, include your arms, thighs, bust, hips, etc.). Because, when it comes to health, that's a much better indicator of how you're doing and psychologically it doesn't hold quite the same negative connotations. Track the measurements once weekly and move on.

My dad used to be a personal fitness trainer and he would always tell me, "Don't step on a scale. Don't even own a scale. The only numbers you should care about are tape measurements and only pay attention to them if they change." I think it was pretty good advice and I still live by it.

I see a lot of people on the forums worrying about daily weight fluctuations, becoming obsessed with the scale. But your body weight can fluctuate by 5 lbs a day just because of water weight, salt consumption, etc. (I know people who have even more fluctuation than that!) If that would scare you/cause you a lot of stress, I'd say leave it out of your journey to better health entirely.
  • jonelaw
    jonelaw Posts: 28
    Options
    I totally empathize....at my heaviest I was around 250, would lose some then gain it back. I would know from the way my clothes fit that weight had come back but I was afraid to see the number. I think it is important to have multiple methods of guaging your progress: your weight, your mmnts, the way you clothes fit etc. Llike someone else said, it is just a number; it doesn't define who you are or what you can become or achieve. It sure is motivating to see that number decrease!! Be brave and good luck!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I think that once you start seeing a difference in your body, you'll be curious as to where you started. Weigh yourself, but also take measurements of your hips, waist, etc.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Just think of it this way, the weight you see on the scale will be your topmost weight. You'll only go down if you stick with the MFP program. There's nothing quite so satisfying as seeing your weight tracker move toward that goal! Best wishes!
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I was afraid to weigh myself for a long time, as well, and therefore, I lived in denial of what I really weighed. In my head, I was only 160'ish, but when I stepped on that scale finally, I was definitely more like 190'ish. The pictures really weren't lying either, I just didn't want to believe it. It's best to just swallow that bitter pill and get it over with, as the above posters have said. Once you weigh, you can really focus on the goal of your wedding and that dream dress. :)
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    DO IT! no seriously, bite the bullet. the worst is when you start losing and you don't have a starting figure. THe day you own up to it is the day you can start.