Eat exercise cals?

Options

Replies

• tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I simply don't trust the calorie counts of the workouts enough to eat back exercise calories. On days where I do work out a bit, I don't feel bad if I'm hungry and go over...but if I'm not hungry, I'm not going to force myself to eat more just because some arbitrary number.

FWIW, I am going to invest in an HR monitor at some point.

It's not about forcing yourself to eat. It's about are you hungry? Listen to your body. For me I am set at 1200. When I work out I burn 500. That means I would only net 700. I would be starving and feel sick. So I add my 500 in and I get to eat 1700. Which by working out hard I usually want to eat. But if it is 9:00 at night and I have 300 cals left and I am not hungry...I don't force food down. If I am hungry then YES I will eat those calories. Just wanted to explain it's not about forcing food down when you are not hungry.
  • lizzard31
    lizzard31 Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree, I can not wrap my head around this.

I have lost 28 lbs so far. I started tracking calories and exercising in March. I have not lost any wieght for the last 3 weeks. I am doing the same thing I was doing before. Sometimes I will eat back some of my carlories, but most of the time not.

I also allow myself one cheat day per week when I do not track my calories. Do you guys think this cheat day could be what is holding me back? It never was before.

really? I still can't wrap my head around that?
    Eat more, weigh less...
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Eat more, weigh less...
    really? I still can't wrap my head around that?
    You need to scroll up and take the time and educate yourself.
    The links are provided.
    We are without excuse.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I have lost 28 lbs so far. I started tracking calories and exercising in March. I have not lost any wieght for the last 3 weeks. I am doing the same thing I was doing before. Sometimes I will eat back some of my carlories, but most of the time not.
    And you just proved that NOT eating back exercise calories stifles metabolism.
    Again, go educate yourself with the above links.
    Your body is unable to sustain that high a deficit.
    Your choice.
    I eat ALL my exercise calories, and my total calorie intake today will be over 3000 calories.
    My metabolism is revved up and working just fine.
    Answer for yourself?
    Who's having more fun?
    Who's getting results?
    :drinker:
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    YES YOU EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES.
    Can we just put this as an FAQ somewhere or something?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I eat them back if I'm still hungry. But I do not eat if I am not hungry, especially at night when binging is easier to do.
  • scorpiogirl100
    Options
    I used to eat my calories back...now I just save it for Sundays..that's my "rest day" I don't exercise and eat whatever I want (in moderation of course) so if I get mad cravings during the week...I'll write it down and save it for Sunday...but lately on Sunday's my body still wants the healthy stuff...always listen to your body!!!!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I think when you are just starting with MFP the best advice is to follow the rules.

Stay within the carbs/proteins etc.

Eat back your exercise cals.

Input sedentary/active etc.

As time goes on and you get to know your body more then you can alter to suit.

Don`t over think things when you first start.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    YES YOU EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES.
    Can we just put this as an FAQ somewhere or something?

It is.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/457-unofficial-mfp-faq

But it's more or less useless as new members can't find it.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    bump, because this is the most helpful set of links ever! thanks, new best friend!
    This comes up again and again...
    MFP suggests a daily net calorie intake to result in 1 lb of weight loss per week.
    1 pound equals 3500 calories.
    3500 divided by 7 days equals 500 calories per day. Our MFP daily number already has that 500 calories subtracted.
    When we exercise, that green number goes up, because MFP expects us to eat back your exercise calories to keep your net daily calorie intake steady; that's how MFP works. Read this to learn more.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
    And This:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173853-an-objective-look-at-eating-exercise-calories
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainerRobin/view/myth-or-fact-calories-in-versus-calories-out-3500-calories-one-pound-and-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories-62012
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175241-a-personal-view-on-exercise-cals-and-underfeeding
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/302589-eat-more-to-lose-more-explained

Just follow the MFP recommendations for healthy, steady and lasting results.
    You could reduce quicker, but what would be the quality of that weight loss?
    It could lead to increased muscle loss, and that stifles metabolism.
    No, eat right, exercise - both cardio and resistance, lose weight in such a way that maintains health and preserves lean body mass which burns more calories at rest.
    Good luck to you.:flowerforyou:
    All Is Possible!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    WOW I was under eating by A LOT! You think I will gain weight by increasing cals? Or just bust this plateau?
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    id probably say eat them back if you can. not eating them back wont make you bigger, but you need to keep youre fuel up, like a car, if you replace the oil and the petrol keep the windscreen fluid topped up tyre pressures good its going to run better. well your body pretty much goes on the same principle. keeping the energy level up through healthy foods will help your body work more efficiently. BUT be carefull you dont over estimate the amount you work out because obviously that would be counter productive in the long run as is underestimating portion controlll!!

i dont really track calories too much myself, but i do eat what i want when i want and i keep my meals regular, if i do a work out i'll take on a banana before hand and then have a small snack afterwards. but tracking is a great way to get to know your own body i think.

good luck ln your journey, stay healthy and have fun :)
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    An old personal trainer said I could eat my exercise cals in form of a protein shake he was trying to sell me or else I'd go into starvation mode. He saved me from starvation mode but I ended up being 20 lbs heavier and nope...it wasn't all muscle.

I try not to eat my exercise cals. I continue to lift HEAVY. I don't do any cardio because I don't want to fall into that trap of thinking that allows me to eat more.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I eat back every single exercise calorie because

1. I want to lose FAT not muscle. Feed the muscle.
    2. I'm over 50 & cannot afford to lose muscle ... even if I were to lose weight more quickly (not eating calories back may cause plateaus)
    3. I use a heart rate monitor .... so my exercise calories are not overstated. Be careful if your "calories burned" are taken from a piece of equipment (or MFP even) some things are overstated

This one time in band camp I exercised and I didn't eat back every single exercise calorie and missed it by like 3 or 5 cals and later that night Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't eat every single exercise calorie back that he'd melt my brain.

tumblr_lkxqxwJSc51qgix0u.jpg

OP Make sure you try to eat them back or this could happen to you too.:drinker:
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    The last time I wore my heartrate monitor running (back in Feb) it told me I was burning 50 cals per mile(I have the polar ft60 calibrated for myself). ONLY 40!!!

Then i went on the machine which told me I burned 100...

I am pretty sure the polar was right and the MACHINE was wrong.

No wonder I was gaining weight...that's when I was "eating" my cals.

Most people are not exercising like proathletes and are overestimating their caloric burn.

You really think you burned 600 calories an hour reading that magazine on the treadmill? Go ahead and eat them calories then...
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I eat back every single exercise calorie because

1. I want to lose FAT not muscle. Feed the muscle.
    2. I'm over 50 & cannot afford to lose muscle ... even if I were to lose weight more quickly (not eating calories back may cause plateaus)
    3. I use a heart rate monitor .... so my exercise calories are not overstated. Be careful if your "calories burned" are taken from a piece of equipment (or MFP even) some things are overstated

If you don't mind my asking...How do those heart rate monitors work exactly? I've seen that term a few times and am thinking about getting one so I know exactly what I'm burning.
  • taso42
    Options
    You really think you burned 600 calories an hour reading that magazine on the treadmill? Go ahead and eat them calories then...

Actually 600 is about what I would burn if I was on the treadmill for an hour. But I'm sure as hell not reading any magazines. Always "eat back the calories" and of course it works, because it's simple math, and my numbers are well dialed in.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is relative. Most people lose a lot of weight when they start out on a new plan... What's the most operative word in that sentence? NEW! And, as human nature has it, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Right? Right!

After time, your body adapts. If you are under eating, you will initially lose weight from fat. At homeostasis, your body pretty much only uses what fat it needs and stores the rest it doesn't. When you start a NEW program, your body continues to do the same routine. Alas, you lose fat. Then, your body will start to figure out how to harvest energy elsewhere and hang onto that fat (starvation mode). Usually, it turns to calorie rich tissue. Muscle, bone (yes bone), and organs....

Let's say, for example, you have a 1400 cal/day goal. You do a workout and burn 600 cals. If you only eat 1400 cals, that leaves you at 800 calories for the day. That's the same as eating only 800 calories on a non workout day... Does that sound like a healthy thing to do?

It doesn't sound like the right thing to do, but, it is.
  • apriltrainer
    Options

Actually 600 is about what I would burn if I was on the treadmill for an hour. But I'm sure as hell not reading any magazines. Always "eat back the calories" and of course it works, because it's simple math, and my numbers are well dialed in.

Most of the people at my gym, and I gather at MOST gyms are EAting back the calories because that's what the machines tell them to. ANd yes, I keep having people ask me why they can't lose weight. Maybe your numbers are dialed in but the vast majority of America is not..thus our horrendous obesity problem. The other problem is not exercising with appropriate intensity and overestimating THAT as well...but I guess that's for another forum post.

I know that if I put my actual activity in it would tell me to eat 2600 cals. ANd MFP has told me to eat that much so I just stopped logging it.

I don't do cardio but I do strengh training and outdoor activities(I'm also a personal trainer and a nurse so I am on my feet CONSTANTLY) and there is no way I would want to eat back those cals. NO Freaking way. When I did that I got heavy. Starvation mode? Nope.
  • taso42
    Options

Most of the people at my gym, and I gather at MOST gyms are EAting back the calories because that's what the machines tell them to. ANd yes, I keep having people ask me why they can't lose weight. Maybe your numbers are dialed in but the vast majority of America is not..thus our horrendous obesity problem. The other problem is not exercising with appropriate intensity and overestimating THAT as well...but I guess that's for another forum post.

I know that if I put my actual activity in it would tell me to eat 2600 cals. ANd MFP has told me to eat that much so I just stopped logging it.

I don't do cardio but I do strengh training and outdoor activities(I'm also a personal trainer and a nurse so I am on my feet CONSTANTLY) and there is no way I would want to eat back those cals. NO Freaking way. When I did that I got heavy. Starvation mode? Nope.

On your feet all day, lifting heavy, yet according to your food diary you eat 1300 cals/day? So you're netting, what, 900 or so? Hopefully you're underestimating your food intake. And I sure hope none of your clients are taking nutritional advice from you.