Car-bo-hy-drate.

OK, so i dont and probably will never seriously limit carbs (or anything for that matter).... i just like them too much!!
But I was just wondering why lots of people who want to lose weight do this? and why some people argue it is a myth? On here everyones seems to have an opinion but I want to know the science and why this is popular belief or true....
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    well if youre mainly eating veggies and protein youll lose faster, not to mention its wayyy healthier. that being said when i was in college i got to my lowest weight and i ate a big piece of cake every single day. along with pizza, cereal and other carb filled college foods lol. i was just so busy that i didnt eat but one slice of pizza where now i can have 3 or 4..huge diff. you can still enjoy food you just have to think what got you unhappy with your weight in the first place..probably not carbs but simply eating too many. i def love carbs tho! goodluck be gentle with yourself too, do whats good for you. :)
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    When I can eat 3000 calories of ribeye steak, chicken, and vegetables with under 40carbs a day while still losing weight and never being hungry VS 1800 calories I will take #1. Just a preference is all!

Both work for me :)
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I limit carbs because foods with carbs generally have a lot of calories too, and they don't really fill me up. But I'm not a super low carb person or anything. 40% of my intake is carbs.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    well if youre mainly eating veggies and protein youll lose faster, not to mention its wayyy healthier. that being said when i was in college i got to my lowest weight and i ate a big piece of cake every single day. along with pizza, cereal and other carb filled college foods lol. i was just so busy that i didnt eat but one slice of pizza where now i can have 3 or 4..huge diff. you can still enjoy food you just have to think what got you unhappy with your weight in the first place..probably not carbs but simply eating too many. i def love carbs tho! goodluck be gentle with yourself too, do whats good for you. :)

You won't lose faster just because there are fewer carbs in your diet. You lose because you are eating fewer calories. Your explanation of your weight in college pretty much sums it up - you didn't eat as much, so you lost weight.

Some people like low carb. Some people are successful on it. But carbs are not the magic key to weight loss (unless you have a medical condition that would make carb intake a problem).

Carbs are fuel. You want to train to run a 10k? Carbs can help you do that. A lot of runners eat carbs before long runs so they have energy. There are whole articles devoted to it in running magazines.

I personally eat carbs - pizza, rice, bread, bagels, fruit, veggies, etc. I'm still losing weight - simply because I have a calorie deficit.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    I don't limit them, but I do try to choose them wisely. 'white carbs' (processed sugars and flour) get stored as fat- so they say. so I try to choose better carbs, in case 'they' are correct.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    I eat a LOT of carbs. I do endurance runs so I need my carbs. Without them I'd probably collapse after two miles. I don't eat very much fat however. It just so happens that I'm not into red meat or sweets and dairy bothers my stomach and those are the biggest culprit for fat. I know people say that those who do low carb can't do low fat, and people who do low fat can't do low carb. IDK if that's true but I eat plenty of carbs and have still lost weight! And the days I haven't eaten some form of carbs for breakfast or lunch I get really tired quickly when I go to run so they really are needed to fuel your body for running especially.

That and protein. Protein is key in any diet.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    I don't limit them, but I do try to choose them wisely. 'white carbs' (processed sugars and flour) get stored as fat- so they say. so I try to choose better carbs, in case 'they' are correct.

All excess calories can be stored as fat.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/453956-can-carbohydrates-be-stored-as-fat/
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    I limit carbs because foods with carbs generally have a lot of calories too, and they don't really fill me up. But I'm not a super low carb person or anything. 40% of my intake is carbs.

This actually isn't the case. Veggies are carbs...good ones. It depends on where your carbs are coming from. Refined sugars and simple carbs = bad, whole grains, veggies, brown rice = good carbs.

Edit to add that what I meant by this actually isnt the case is that foods with carbs are not generally higher in calories if you are eating the right kind of carbs!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    FOr me personally, I have a metabolic issue called insulin resistance. When I followed the MFP suggested macros and worked out 90 minutes 3-4x a week, it took me 3 months to lose 7 pounds. When I reduced my carbs to under 100g net per day, I lost 8 pounds the first month, 6 pounds the second month, and I am on track to lose 4-6 pounds for the 3rd month. Oh yeah, and after the first 2 weeks, I reduced my workout to 60 minutes 3-4x a week, yet I am still losing!

I still eat real food! For dinner I am eating rotini and meatballs. The rotini is by a company called dreamfield's that makes a 5g carb pasta. For lunch I had a huge salad with turkey AND summer sausage. For breakfast I had 2 eggs, 4 slices of soy bacon, and 1/2c raspberries. Yesterday I had a slice of pizza for dinner!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member

I try to choose those wisely, too, to avoid excess.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member

This actually isn't the case. Veggies are carbs...good ones. It depends on where your carbs are coming from. Refined sugars and simple carbs = bad, whole grains, veggies, brown rice = good carbs.

Edit to add that what I meant by this actually isnt the case is that foods with carbs are not generally higher in calories if you are eating the right kind of carbs!

I agree. I was thinking like pasta and cake, the wrong kind of carbs :D
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Carbs have 4 calories per gram just like protein. Makes no difference if they are the "right" kind (nutrient and fiber dense) or "wrong" kind.
    "White carbs" don't store as fat any more than and other food does. It's simple. Eat is a deficit, lose fat. Eat in a surplus, store fat.

Some people do well to limit carbs. I personally, limit carbs as they can cause a hormonal cycle that causes cravings if you overindulge. I take in plenty of carbs, 175 to 200 grams on heavy workout days to relplenish glycogen. If you are working out with intensity, you will want a reasonable amount of carbs to replace glycogen and help with recovery on workout days or you can potentially lose lean muscle mass as your body uses the amino acids in your muscle tissue for glycogenesis instead. This is also a good reason to get plenty of protein on workout days. Also for protein synsthesis to rebuild muscle tissue but that is a whole othe thread.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    I eat a LOT of carbs. I do endurance runs so I need my carbs. Without them I'd probably collapse after two miles. I don't eat very much fat however. It just so happens that I'm not into red meat or sweets and dairy bothers my stomach and those are the biggest culprit for fat. I know people say that those who do low carb can't do low fat, and people who do low fat can't do low carb. IDK if that's true but I eat plenty of carbs and have still lost weight! And the days I haven't eaten some form of carbs for breakfast or lunch I get really tired quickly when I go to run so they really are needed to fuel your body for running especially.

Actually, endurance exercise is not hurt in the slightest by being low carb as long as you have sufficient fat reserves/intake to fuel your body through the exercise. I've actually run across some interesting results showing that being in a state of nutritional ketosis is actually better for endurance exercise than in a carb fed state because your body is already out of glycogen when you start exercising so it has no choice but to run on fat stores. Most endurance athletes deplete their muscle glycogen stores within about 2 hours of work (hitting the wall), but if you start without those reserves you can go much longer before you run out of fuel since your body stores much much more energy in fat than it does in glycogen. Ketosis does hurt your maximum power output, so it's not ideal for sprinters or powerlifters for example, but it seems to be either neutral or a small net positive for endurance sports.

Here's an interview with Peter Attia (his blog is migrating to a new server so it's inaccessible right now, but I'll link to it anyway for future reference): http://asweetlife.org/a-sweet-life-staff/featured/the-ketogenic-diet-and-peter-attias-war-on-insulin/24184/

Dr. Attia's Blog post on the interplay of ketosis and exercise:
    http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-interplay-of-exercise-and-ketosis-part-i
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    everyone is different! I personally can't do the low-carb thing, there's not many options for me. I am not a fan of most meat and I hate any and all seafood. So I'd live on fruit and veggies. I'm too picky to do a special diet like that. I could calories and try and watch my sugar, and it seems to be working for me =)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Actually, endurance exercise is not hurt in the slightest by being low carb as long as you have sufficient fat reserves/intake to fuel your body through the exercise. I've actually run across some interesting results showing that being in a state of nutritional ketosis is actually better for endurance exercise than in a carb fed state because your body is already out of glycogen when you start exercising so it has no choice but to run on fat stores. Most endurance athletes deplete their muscle glycogen stores within about 2 hours of work (hitting the wall), but if you start without those reserves you can go much longer before you run out of fuel since your body stores much much more energy in fat than it does in glycogen. Ketosis does hurt your maximum power output, so it's not ideal for sprinters or powerlifters for example, but it seems to be either neutral or a small net positive for endurance sports.

Here's an interview with Peter Attia (his blog is migrating to a new server so it's inaccessible right now, but I'll link to it anyway for future reference): http://asweetlife.org/a-sweet-life-staff/featured/the-ketogenic-diet-and-peter-attias-war-on-insulin/24184/

Dr. Attia's Blog post on the interplay of ketosis and exercise:
    http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-interplay-of-exercise-and-ketosis-part-i

With all due respect, your info on burning fat instead of carbs for glycogen replacement is just plain wrong. Fat is not a substitute for glycogen for endurance or other higher intensity activities. Anyone who thinks it is should try it and see how you feel after the first mile or so. Also, see how well you recover. Also, Attia is a just plain quack!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member

http://www.livestrong.com/article/453956-can-carbohydrates-be-stored-as-fat/

The article has been written by a bro.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member

With all due respect, your info on burning fat instead of carbs for glycogen replacement is just plain wrong. Fat is not a substitute for glycogen for endurance or other higher intensity activities.

so when glycogen stores are depleted does the marathon runner just sit down? or does he have enough stored glycogen to run the entire 26 miles?
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member

^^^This^^^

Edit to say - agree with what someone above said - most of my carbs now come from fruit and veggies...other than my toast on a morning. Those kind of carbs can be very filling for not as many calories!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member

You won't lose faster just because there are fewer carbs in your diet. You lose because you are eating fewer calories. Your explanation of your weight in college pretty much sums it up - you didn't eat as much, so you lost weight.

Some people like low carb. Some people are successful on it. But carbs are not the magic key to weight loss (unless you have a medical condition that would make carb intake a problem).

Carbs are fuel. You want to train to run a 10k? Carbs can help you do that. A lot of runners eat carbs before long runs so they have energy. There are whole articles devoted to it in running magazines.

I personally eat carbs - pizza, rice, bread, bagels, fruit, veggies, etc. I'm still losing weight - simply because I have a calorie deficit.

There's another piece to your analysis. There are people who are insulin sensitive. White carbs especially really throw that off. Not all are as several sensitive to be diabetic or hypoglycemic however, reducing carb intake makes a huge difference in the way the calories are expended AND how hungry you are.

Protein is fuel too, carbs especially white carbs are quick fuel and for us insulin sensitive folks that's the issue. Since I'm not a runner I can't speak to that, but I get all the fuel I need with my protein intake.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Carbohydrates are classified as simple or complex. The classification depends on the chemical structure of the food, and how quickly the sugar is digested and absorbed. Simple carbohydrates have one (single) or two (double) sugars. Complex carbohydrates have three or more sugars.

Examples of single sugars from foods include:

Fructose (found in fruits) Galactose (found in milk products)

Double sugars include:

Lactose (found in dairy) Maltose (found in certain vegetables and in beer) Sucrose (table sugar)

Honey is also a double sugar. But unlike table sugar, it contains a small amount of vitamins and minerals.

Complex carbohydrates, often referred to as "starchy" foods, include:

Legumes Starchy vegetables Whole-grain breads and cereals

Simple carbohydrates that contain vitamins and minerals occur naturally in:

Fruits Milk and milk products Vegetables

Simple carbohydrates are also found in processed and refined sugars such as:

Candy Regular (nondiet) carbonated beverages, such as soda Syrups Table sugar

Refined sugars provide calories, but lack vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Such simple sugars are often called "empty calories" and can lead to weight gain.

Also, many refined foods, such as white flour, sugar, and white rice, lack B vitamins and other important nutrients unless they are marked "enriched." It is healthiest to get carbohydrates, vitamins, and other nutrients in as natural a form as possible -- for example, from fruit instead of table sugar.