Healthy Mozzarella Sticks - holy protein Batman!

Options
LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
As a vegetarian, I am always looking for delicious easy recipes that are packed with protein. This recipe for healthier mozzarella sticks is definitely a new favorite! They're not that low-calorie, so I save them for treat days :)

Recipe not mine, originally posted on http://everycollegegirl.com/how-to-cook-healthy-mozzarella-sticks/
I adapted it to make one serving, and added a couple of ingredients.

Ingredients:

6 sticks of string cheese in your choice of cheese, go for the low sodium kind if you want to be extra healthy
1 egg white
1 tbsp of flour
2.5 tbsp of bread crumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried basil
1 tbsp of parmesan cheese
A dollop of olive oil, or cooking spray

Cut the cheese sticks in half, making 12 slices, then freeze the slices in the freezer until completely frozen
Beat the egg in a small bowl. Use a separate bowl to combine the bread crumbs, spices, and parmesan cheese.
To bread the cheese sticks: First dip the frozen cheese stick into the flour, then into the egg, then into the bread crumb mixture
Once all of the 24 sticks are coated, place them on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil coated with a few drops of olive oil or sprayed with cooking spray (this will keep cleanup to a minimum, and keep the sticks from sticking!)
Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 4 minutes, or until crisp. They need to be watched closely so they don’t melt completely! Serve with a little marinara.

Here's the nutrition info (I didn't end up using all of the egg white or breadcrumb mixture, and kept that in mind when calculating):
Calories 473; Carbs 23g; Fat 27g; Protein 43g

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    looks delish, thanks for sharing!
  • pennyrtyler
    pennyrtyler Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump for later :-) Thanks
  • ksludwig
    ksludwig Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian, I am always looking for delicious easy recipes that are packed with protein. This recipe for healthier mozzarella sticks is definitely a new favorite! They're not that low-calorie, so I save them for treat days :)

Recipe not mine, originally posted on http://everycollegegirl.com/how-to-cook-healthy-mozzarella-sticks/
    I adapted it to make one serving, and added a couple of ingredients.

Ingredients:

6 sticks of string cheese in your choice of cheese, go for the low sodium kind if you want to be extra healthy
    1 egg white
    1 tbsp of flour
    2.5 tbsp of bread crumbs

I made these over the weekend and they were awesome
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 tbsp of parmesan cheese
    A dollop of olive oil, or cooking spray

Cut the cheese sticks in half, making 12 slices, then freeze the slices in the freezer until completely frozen
    Beat the egg in a small bowl. Use a separate bowl to combine the bread crumbs, spices, and parmesan cheese.
    To bread the cheese sticks: First dip the frozen cheese stick into the flour, then into the egg, then into the bread crumb mixture
    Once all of the 24 sticks are coated, place them on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil coated with a few drops of olive oil or sprayed with cooking spray (this will keep cleanup to a minimum, and keep the sticks from sticking!)
    Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 4 minutes, or until crisp. They need to be watched closely so they don’t melt completely! Serve with a little marinara.

Here's the nutrition info (I didn't end up using all of the egg white or breadcrumb mixture, and kept that in mind when calculating):
    Calories 473; Carbs 23g; Fat 27g; Protein 43g

I made them over the weekend and they were awesome
  • gatorginger
    Options
    You put that they were 473 calories when they are in fact 43 calories
  • jahsshh
    jahsshh Posts: 18
    Options
    BUMP BUMP and a BUMP
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    bump thanks for sharing :)
  • tari12340
    tari12340 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing!
  • aimsteen
    aimsteen Posts: 49
    Options
    bump
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

The nutrition info I put is for the whole batch :)
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks! They sound delicious! Will have to try them. :)
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Evansmama29
    Evansmama29 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • mlouise143
    mlouise143 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    amazing!
  • gatorginger
    Options

The nutrition info I put is for the whole batch :)
    Oh ok, when I made mine they were about 43 calories each so guess I got confused, thanks
  • nygirl777
    nygirl777 Posts: 35
    Options
    bump....sounds delicious!!!!
  • MernyMac
    MernyMac Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MollDoll81
    MollDoll81 Posts: 43
    Options
    bump!
  • poundis
    poundis Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    love mozzarella sticks- thanks for posting!