Zumba class - anybody takes zumba classes?

Options
124»

Replies

• sfgonzales
    sfgonzales Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Love Zumba! That's how I got into exercising!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba....it isn't the highest calorie burn for me however, I get so damn bored on the regular ole gym machines.

The best thing to do is go and focus on just moving and staying that way til the end. You don't have to go as fast or do the move just like everyone else until you build up your knowledge of the moves and your stamina.

It is pretty fun.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I stopped when I saw myself dancing in the mirror and realized I am only a good dance when I am drunk.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    as a licensed zumba instructor my #1 recommendation is to wear older shoes with worn tread!!! there is lots of twisting and pivoting so the smoother surfaces help your feet to slide and not hold onto the floor torquing your knees in painful positions. Also coming from having 3 knee surgeries....most important thing is to listen to your body and simply do what you can. Have fun and don't feel out of place if you can't do everything EXACTLY like everyone else. It's muscle memory and training....the more you do it the easier it will become. ZUUUUUUMMMMBAAAAA! :wink:
  • ataylo30
    ataylo30 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm an instructor...I don't need to tell you that you will love it as everyone else already has :) Make sure any time you are asked to squat you can still see your toes past your knees...also that your knee cap is even with your second toe (so you have a wide stance and feel most of the pressure in your heels). This will help your back, knees, and ankles TREMENDOUSLY. Also, if you are unsure you should jump, start out easy, a nice bounce does a lot for you, even if your toes don't clear the floor.

Best of luck and have so much fun!
  • dwarfstarzero
    dwarfstarzero Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Last year I lost almost 60 pounds doing just zumba (not eating right, or doing any other exercises.) It's amazing, and you can tailor the movements to your fitness level to some degree (to make it less impactful to knees, etc...) It is a great and fun way to work out!
  • Carlakosh
    Carlakosh Posts: 9
    Options
    TOP TIP - Tena Lady, especially if your Pelvic Floor is not what is was after giving birth.........
  • LoriGiovannetti
    Options
    IT PUSHES YOU FURTHER THAN YOU WOULD PUSH YOURSELF, PLUS YOU GET IN SOME BASIC LEVEL DANCE FOOTWORK. ALL FUN!
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    LOVE ZUMBA! I wish my gym had it more than twice a week, my husband and I would so be there every time!

Yep, bring a towl.

Yep, bring water- not too cold though, might cause a little muscle cramp mid workout.

You can modify all of your movements. I have a nice lady in my classes who has severe kneww issues with both knees, and she just "glides" (aka... light squatting while stepping) left or right when we're jumping left or right.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    What would you recommend as a beginner watching zumba? Should I be behind the instructor or in front of the instuctor or doesn't it really matter where you stand?

Scott

Some ppl aren't confident or comfortable enough in the front and tend to flock to the back...this to me is a mistake. you can't see and then you struggle with the moves and eventually quit cuz it's "no fun" or "you can't follow"...I suggest anywhere closer to the front where you can see the instructor. if in a packed class keep your eye open and follow someone who's obviously a regular
  • LoriGiovannetti
    Options
    GOOD ADVICE
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I teach it and I LOVE it! Water bottle is a great choice! Wear comfy shoes and clothes and don't be afraid
    to go to the frint of the class so that you can really see the instructor and have fun fun fun! Zumba love!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA!! Bring a towel (you'll sweat like crazy!) and water. Don't be worried about keeping up with the instructor...hardly anyone can, especially beginners. Just do what you can and slow down if you need to. As long as you stay moving, you'll be fine! I hope you love it as much as I do! It's a great workout! Good luck!

I agree with your response. My instructor just keeps telling us to move regardless if we can do the moves or not. I have taken 3 classes and each one has been different. I have found the hip hop version of the class is way easier for me compared to the belly dancing type movements.
  • vhfbeidcnoaz
    vhfbeidcnoaz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I HATE IT!!!!!!! IT WAS REALLY HARD AND NO FUN AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T LISTEN TO THESE SKINNY *kitten*, THEY THINK EVERYTHING IS FUN!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T TRY IT!!!!! THE STEPS GO WAY TOO FAST, AND I ENDED UP CRYING!!!!!!!!! I BET SOME PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY KILLED THEMSELVES BECAUSE OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!
  • vhfbeidcnoaz
    Options
    THIS STUPID WEBSITE WON'T EVEN LET ME CUSS BECAUSE I BET THOUDANDS OF PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY COMPLAINED ABOUT THIS STUPID ZUMBA *kitten*
  • vhfbeidcnoaz
    Options
    IF YOU CAN'T DANCE OR HATE DANCING, DON'T EVEN TRY ZUMBA !!!!!!!! YOUR OPINION WON'T CHANGE!!!!!!!
  • laurasthompson
    laurasthompson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ok so i'm really surprised at everyone's hatred for zumba!

I personally love zumba - it's fun, social and doesn't feel like the traditional boring workout.

It's true - you won't be great at it in the beginning. I was terrible! But the more you go, the better you get. Do you give up when you do a 1st HIIT or run? NO! Same with zumba.

Give it a try for at least more than 1 class, you'll sweat, burn calories and enjoy yourself! Eventually you'll learn the moves and improve, and maybe meet some new people too!
  • hawkins733
    hawkins733 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! I go to class 2x week and for Christmas I got the Zumba Toning DVD set and LOVE it! Bring plenty of water and go at your own pace. As long as you are moving, you are doing it right!