Low Carb Makes me Dizzy...

Options

Replies

• mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you're on low carb and you find yourself feeling dizzy, it is usually due to low electrolytes (salt, potassium). A sprinkle of salt with each glass of water will usually do the trick.

This is totally true. One time, while sweating it stopped tasting salty. I have to really watch my salt intake and make sure it's on the up and up. Same for iron and potassium. Just don't drink a full glass of a lot of salt water. Did that once. it gives you the runs. Yes, I'm an idiot. haha!
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yes sounds like the Carb Flu, it does go away after a few days to sometimes a week for others. I try to stay under 100g a day but have went as low as 20 a day. Its just your body reacting to the change of switching fuel sources is all:) Yes you do need some carbs for your bodys function but it doesnt take alot of them and no where near the 300g that "they" try and promote that you need.

Add salt to your meals or drink some chicken or beef broth, that helps alot while your going through this:) have also heard potassium is also good:)
  • aNewMiniMe
    aNewMiniMe Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here ever talked to a doctor about this type of dieting? Or was this adventured on your own?

Yes, I talked with my Dr. a few years back and his statement was that your brain NEEDS carbs. The way he put is was just watch those who are doing a low carb or even a no carb diet and wait and see. He commented that many of them will gain the weight back as well as extra because they have cut out a needed nutritional food source. Low and behold - everyone of the people I saw using the Atkins diet gained the weight back. I am a firm believer in balance. Nothing more. If you cut out a specific food that will be the food you binge on later. All things in moderation.

As for a "carb number", my husband is diabetic and is limited to 42 carbs per meal, and yes that includes all forms of carbs.

Good luck and follow your body. You know what is best for you.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    As for a "carb number", my husband is diabetic and is limited to 42 carbs per meal. That's right 42 per meal. And yes that includes all forms of carbs.
    I read something like that and I get really angry -- it's absolutely criminal. Change can not come soon enough.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

Decide if it makes sense to push your body into doing that if you have no medical reason to

Ketosis is deliberately induced by use of a ketogenic diet as a medical intervention in cases of intractable epilepsy.[6] Other uses of low-carbohydrate diets remain controversial.[8][9]

Also, when the body is in ketosis, subjects often smell of acetone. Some find the smell offensive as acetone is the same chemical responsible for the smell in paint thinner and nail polish remover. *** Ooh this seems like fun
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Carbs.jpg
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Also, when the body is in ketosis, subjects often smell of acetone. Some find the smell offensive as acetone is the same chemical responsible for the smell in paint thinner and nail polish remover. *** Ooh this seems like fun

And when you drink coffee, your pee smells like coffee, too. Doesn't mean I'm actually urinating coffee.

Yea, your breath is slightly gross, but I would describe it more as metallic than nail polish. That's what toothpaste/toothbrushes are for.

ETA: No matter what dietary changes you'll make, there will always be flack from others. At the end of the day, if it works for you, go for it.
  • Fasbold
    Fasbold Posts: 29
    Options
    My doctor told me to keep my carbs under 200g a day and if I can do less then do it. He said he used 200 because it does not leave you feeling totally deprived. He said he used to recommend 60g a day, but that seemed too hard for people. He said to eat all the healthy foods I wanted, just make sure that the fats are healthy fats, butter instead of margarine and olive oil instead of vegetable oil. I found that I don't miss bread and can do without. I think that I really need to go for 150 or less carbs, since your body can make a certain amount on its own. I think the key is to figure out how your body reacts to certain foods. For me the grains/bread seem to be an issue for me. My skin has cleared up and a skin condition I have had for over a decade is better. By listening to my body and paying attention, I learn what works best for me. I think we each have to do the same.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Is there a number or anything that you try to keep your carbs around or under?

I've been reducing the amount of grain I eat. I try to keep it to two meals a day, instead of all throughout the day. It's getting me to eat more vegetables as snacks, which is good. I don't have a specific amount of carbs I'm trying to stick to, it's just a general rule I'm following. I'm not trying to lose quite yet, I'm not done breastfeeding. But, it seems like limiting grains has helped me lose a few pounds already.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options

And when you drink coffee, your pee smells like coffee, too. Doesn't mean I'm actually urinating coffee.

Yea, your breath is slightly gross, but I would describe it more as metallic than nail polish. That's what toothpaste/toothbrushes are for.

ETA: No matter what dietary changes you'll make, there will always be flack from others. At the end of the day, if it works for you, go for it.

ASPARAGUS!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Is there a number or anything that you try to keep your carbs around or under?

I recently read ( i don't remember where) that for low carb the ratio of carbs to protein is 1-1, for normal is 2-1, and high is 3-1. I don't know if that helps any but it made sense to me. I was looking for a good carbs to protein ratio to make sure I wasn't going to high.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've tried low carb. Tried it for months and the "sick" feeling never went away. I was staying under 20g of carbs in a day and felt like dirt. I was tired, sluggish, bloated and most of all? I gained weight.

I decided my body LOVES carbs and I refuse to give them up.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a hoax, but I also don't think it's realistic for everyone. I am a carb girl through and through, there's no way I could cut them out... partially or completely. I'm doing just fine losing weight even eating carbs. You're "supposed to" be changing your lifestyle to something sustainable long term and not just dieting, so for people who have no problem with eating low carb for the rest of their lives it's a wonderful way to lose weight. For those of us who intend to eat carbs for the rest of our lives and don't want to gain the weight back later, I think it's more important to learn to control the carbs (portion sizes, picking healthier options, cooking your options in a healthier way, etc) than it is to limit them.
    Bottom line, just do what works for you in the long run.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here ever talked to a doctor about this type of dieting? Or was this adventured on your own?

I was put on a low sugar diet by my doctor due to a strange skin condition I was experiencing. I learned I am intolerant to sugars and will break out in rashes and bumps etc if I have excessive amounts. I am not saying there is any strong connection to carbs and skin issues, this is just how *I* respond to it. Part of the low sugar diet was to reduce my refined carbs, starches, added sugars etc. I started out doing two weeks totally yeast and sugar free. I hand made everything I put in my mouth. This was enough to send my skin into remission. We thought at one point it might have been a candida issue, but all of my tests came back normal. I eventually started following the South Beach Diet as the meal plans made sense and worked really well with how I was already eating. I never tracked my by gram carb intake though just the type of carbs and the servings. I haven't really been following it anymore. I still avoid refined carbs most of the time, but I don't eat artificially sweetened foods anymore (I eat regular sweetened yogurt) and will occasionally eat corn etc. If I have refined carbs it is usually because I have eaten fast food.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Your body (especially your brain) needs glucose to function. For most people there is nothing wrong with consuming carbs in the form of whole grains, fruits and veggies. Baring allergies or other food sensitivities, I personally don't believe in eliminating entire food groups from my diet.

A balanced diet is a healthy diet.

This^^^^^^
  • vytamindi
    Options
    I've tried low carb. Tried it for months and the "sick" feeling never went away. I was staying under 20g of carbs in a day and felt like dirt. I was tired, sluggish, bloated and most of all? I gained weight.

And I can see your AWESOME progress! It's all about finding the right diet for you, and I'm so glad you've done so well. Kickass, girl! :drinker:
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options

It's possible you were eating too much protein. Your body won't go into ketosis if you eat more than 150 or so grams of protein per day and you can end up in a never ending keto flu/zone of misery.
  • vytamindi
    Options

It's possible you were eating too much protein. Your body won't go into ketosis if you eat more than 150 or so grams of protein per day and you can end up in a never ending keto flu/zone of misery.

To be honest, getting close to my fat macro is the hardest... After a lifetime of Low-Fat, Reduced Fat, and Fat Free eating, my brain is still hung up on that. Been using butter to saute my veggies, so I'm getting better at it!

Heavy cream in coffee is also extremely satisfying!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I somewhat follow the primal blueprint and generally aim between 60-120g of carbs when I cut. When I do more cardio, which causes exercise to exceed more than an hour, I always eat near 100g or more.

Also, I cut out all grains to drop water weight so I see more definition thus can judge progress better.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm actually eating low carb/high protein right now, today is my 4th successful day and I don't have the headaches/dizziness/nausea anymore. I'm not doing Keto or Atkins, I'm just sort of watching my numbers. I have PCOS, so right now I'm trying to get more protein than carb. My doctor told me to do Atkins once - that didn't turn out so well. As of now, I'm trying to keep my carbs under 100g, and my protein above 100g. I have my settings at 35% carb , 35% protein and 30% fat, if that helps.

My plan is to get rid of my carb addiction, and then *slowly* reintroduce carbs back into my system. Maybe for a few weeks I'll do under 100g, then 125g, then back up to 150g. I have PCOS and Auto Immune Liver Disease, so this is what should help me the most.

What it comes down to, as said before, is just trial and error. My sister did low/no carb diets, and when she went back to eating a balanced meal, she gained all the weight back + some. My mother however did low/no carb, and eventually went back to a balanced diet and didn't gain but maybe 1-2 lbs, which she lost over time with exercise.

Good luck to you, OP!