Low Carb Makes me Dizzy...

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Your body (especially your brain) needs glucose to function
    However you don't have to eat the glucose, or starches, for your body to work just fine. It evolved with mechanisms to be fuelled by fats and protein in the absence of carbohydrates in the diet and they still work today.
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Also, when the body is in ketosis, subjects often smell of acetone. Some find the smell offensive as acetone is the same chemical responsible for the smell in paint thinner and nail polish remover. *** Ooh this seems like fun

Some. Not all. I smell normal.
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've tried low carb. Tried it for months and the "sick" feeling never went away. I was staying under 20g of carbs in a day and felt like dirt. I was tired, sluggish, bloated and most of all? I gained weight.

I decided my body LOVES carbs and I refuse to give them up.

And you look great! Glad to see you found something that works for you :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    While I haven't exactly stuck to a diet for too long, I did try doing the whole 'low carb' thing a while back, because everyone seemed so sure it was something healthy to do. Well, after trying to put up with it for two/three weeks, I finally have to give up that idea because it seemed that if I didn't have some sort of grain in my diet, I'd get dizzy or feel like I was going to hurl during the day :(

What are some of your thoughts on the manner? And is it just grain-y carbs you cut out, or even ones in fruit? (cause i have a hard time believing that fruit will ever be a bad thing for me) Or do you say the low carb is just a big hoax?

I worked at a hospital for a while, and talked to the dietitian there. She informed me that low carb does help lose weight, but it's mostly lean tissue, that it was not a healthy life style to go for.

Why not try to do it in reverse? Instead of starting at 20g per day and working up, try to cut 10-20g a day from your diet each week.If you start feeling crappy, you can bump back up to the previous weeks number. I have been doing lower carb 100g per day for going on 3 months now (the average diet is 250g+ per day). I feel great and my weight loss has been much faster since I reduced my carbs.

I spent 3 months following the mfp suggested macros, and only lost a measly 7 pounds. The first month I cut carbs, I lost 8 pounds, the second month I lost 6, and I am on track to lose 6 the third month too. Yesterday I ate a small cake donut AND went out for frozen yogurt with the family!
  • super_b_star
    super_b_star Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just tried to do it again today, and I just felt sick the whole time...I will try and see if my food diary is public, but idk whats going on...
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I stay around 70 for carbs -- that seems to be a decent amount for me and lets me maintain. Sometimes it can be a lot higher or lower. I've been successful, with the low carb approach, but it isn't for everyone.
  • super_b_star
    super_b_star Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I stay around 70 for carbs -- that seems to be a decent amount for me and lets me maintain. Sometimes it can be a lot higher or lower. I've been successful, with the low carb approach, but it isn't for everyone.
    I actually tried to even just do 100 today...but just feel sick. It's obvious that my body is missing something, but idk what.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I actually tried to even just do 100 today...but just feel sick. It's obvious that my body is missing something, but idk what.

I think you need to choose leaner proteins. The johnsiville sausages are very fatty and would make me hurl too. Stick with lean chicken breast, fish, turkey, egg whites.

I aim between 50 to 100grams of carbs a day, and 120grams of proteins (from eggs, fish, nuts, cheese etc). Low carbs, high protein work well for me. My macros are set to 30% carbs, 40%protein and 30% fats. These numbers work well for me.

Looks like you are missing more LEAN proteins. Look at your macro/goals and figure out what works best for you.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    You shouldn't be drinking your calories, the white chocolate mocha, while delicious, really isn't food. You also need a better protein source for the morning. I also agree with the previous poster, leaner meat when you are just starting out. Chicken breast, fresh fish or pork is the way to go.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Your missing quality protein and vegetables mostly and eating things like cheez its and chex cereal is not the best stuff.

No wonder you don't feel well.

A day of eating low carb should look something like this:

Breakfast:
    3 egg omelette with onions, peppers, ham, tomato, cheese and salsa
    3 slices of bacon
    water and / or coffee, tea, etc

Lunch:
    Protein and vegetables
    water, coffee or tea

Supper:
    Protein and vegetables
    water, coffee or tea

Snacks:
    Macadamia nuts
    fruit
    almonds
    wal-nuts
    greek yogurt
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Your missing quality protein and vegetables mostly and eating things like cheez its and chex cereal is not the best stuff.

No wonder you don't feel well.

A day of eating low carb should look something like this:

Breakfast:
    3 egg omelette with onions, peppers, ham, tomato, cheese and salsa
    3 slices of bacon
    water and / or coffee, tea, etc

Lunch:
    Protein and vegetables
    water, coffee or tea

Supper:
    Protein and vegetables
    water, coffee or tea

Snacks:
    Macadamia nuts
    fruit
    almonds
    wal-nuts
    greek yogurt

I agree with this -- especially after looking at the OP's diary:)
  • CWatermelon
    CWatermelon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You really need to increase your lean protein, no wonder you are feeling ill. The four posts above me or spot on :)
  • txlucky1
    txlucky1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just tried to do it again today, and I just felt sick the whole time...I will try and see if my food diary is public, but idk whats going on...

Besides the sample diet given, you simply must take in more sodium when on a low carb diet. Without the insulin telling your kidneys to hold water, you will lose water and sodium along with the water. If you feel weak, lightheaded, fatigued, etc. on a low carb diet, put hyponatremia (low serum sodium) at the top of your suspect list. Add more salt to foods and/or drink broth, not the low sodium kind. You have the signs and symptoms.

Hyponatremia signs and symptoms may include:

Nausea and vomiting
    Headache
    Confusion
    Loss of energy
    Fatigue
    Restlessness and irritability
    Muscle weakness, spasms or cramps
    Seizures
    Unconsciousness
    Coma
  • DrTeeBee
    DrTeeBee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I try to keep to 30g carbs *per meal,* not all day. This is what my nutritionist recommended after I got really, really dizzy from not eating enough carbs. I am in the first week of my lower (not low, lower) carb regime (and watching calories overall), and found that, again, I wasn't getting enough carbs often enough during the day.

Of course, one of the things I should be doing is spreading out my carbs throughout the day. Getting better at that. But 20g carbs a day? Sounds sketchy to me. Perhaps 20g from simple carbs?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    While I haven't exactly stuck to a diet for too long, I did try doing the whole 'low carb' thing a while back, because everyone seemed so sure it was something healthy to do. Well, after trying to put up with it for two/three weeks, I finally have to give up that idea because it seemed that if I didn't have some sort of grain in my diet, I'd get dizzy or feel like I was going to hurl during the day :(

What are some of your thoughts on the manner? And is it just grain-y carbs you cut out, or even ones in fruit? (cause i have a hard time believing that fruit will ever be a bad thing for me) Or do you say the low carb is just a big hoax?

I worked at a hospital for a while, and talked to the dietitian there. She informed me that low carb does help lose weight, but it's mostly lean tissue, that it was not a healthy life style to go for.

Your body is telling you to feed it some carbohydrates! I have a friend who is a dietitian and says the same. Your body is designed to run on glucose. Just because you *can* eventually teach it to run on fats alone doesn't mean that you should!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Has anyone here ever talked to a doctor about this type of dieting? Or was this adventured on your own?

Most doctors do not recommend less than 100g of carbs per day.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    You shouldn't be drinking your calories, the white chocolate mocha, while delicious, really isn't food. You also need a better protein source for the morning. I also agree with the previous poster, leaner meat when you are just starting out. Chicken breast, fresh fish or pork is the way to go.

blah, blah, blah

*drinking mocha* :drinker:
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    However you don't have to eat the glucose, or starches, for your body to work just fine. It evolved with mechanisms to be fuelled by fats and protein in the absence of carbohydrates in the diet and they still work today.

Thank you. My head was spinning from all of the derp on this thread. UGH
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Thank you. My head was spinning from all of the derp on this thread. UGH

Yeah, eating less than 20g carbs per day without a medical reason for it is pretty derpy.
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Many years ago I began eating a low carb diet (the Atkins, with 20g/day), and it was HARD at first but it gradually got easier. I was definitely sick at first, as described here. But the weight was coming off, so I stuck with it. I slowly started adding things back in, and then was "not dieting" or paying attention to my weight for a few years. Prior to doing the very low carb diet I was definitely an addict when it came to sugar and starchy foods. I craved them constantly, and when I started eating them I had a very hard time sticking to a reasonable portion. The low carb diet broke my addiction. I can now see a candy bar and not eat it. Or have only a couple hershey kisses instead of 20. I don't crave carbs at all like I used to. I still enjoy them, but I don't crave them.

I've decided to get back on track with my weight, and cut out a lot of the starchy foods like rice, pasta, bread, etc., as well as other processed foods and a lot of dairy (cheese is my downfall) but I will continue eating lots of fruits and vegetables (i.e. still get plenty of carbs). I'm not purposely eating "low carb", but rather focusing on eating whole, nutrient-dense foods.