Documentary- Why Are Thin People Not Fat?

13»

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Thanks for posting this, I love watching these sort of programs!
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Growing up, I was always very thin. I remember in Jr High and High School, I would stay at a friends house overnight and it would astonish me how much food other families eat. My mom was always super health conscious, and that rubbed off. So, I guess as a family, we ate pretty light. I'd hang with my friend overnight or maybe a weekend and I just couldn't stand it, I thought I was going to burst at very meal. They just ate so much food. It really freaked me out. I realized in high school that most people are just pigs. That's all there isto it. They have no idea how to just eat enough to be full. They just eat and eat and eat, where eating is the activity, rather than the activity is something else and food just nourishes you from or for that activity. Weird. I think if you followed one of you skinny friends around all day everyday for a week, you'd see why they are skinny and you aren't.
    Oink.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    For those that haven't seen it, it's an "overfeeding" study where participants are asked to eat a load more calories every day and their weight gain is monitored. The amount of extra weight varied quite a lot, and the amount of extra fat even more.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    I know a lot of people will post very smug comments on this thread. I just finished it, I found it really interesting. It gives a scientific background to things I've thought of only in passing. I really liked it. The different results in the participants were the most interesting part, and I wished it spent longer going through all of the people on an in-depth indivIdual basis. It also confirms that loosing weight slowly and managebly is the best way to do it- after being on MFP for 1.5 years and loosing "only" 25 pounds- even I feel a little smug.

On another note, I think it would be great to watch a whole documentary on people like the guy who's BMR raised itself to quite a high level, and the two people who physically couldn't get to the calorie target.
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Bump to read/watch later :)
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    wow, that was really interesting!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    Yea I saw this a while back and was a little skeptical.

A couple weeks later my boyfriend got inspired to join MFP to gain weight/muscle. And he seriously eats A LOT (2 or 3 extra helpings-- he's known to eat and eat and not gain weight by all our friends) and does a lot of sports as well.

He tracked his calories for a couple of days. Yes, he ate lots of helpings but only ate ~700 three times a day per meal and maybe some snacks. Plus he works most of it off which puts him at 1,600 cal.. when he should be at ~2,500 to maintain.

This made me believe that what this documentary was saying was true.

It may seem like someone is eating a lot but that's probably all they eat and they are probably very active. You really don't know the lifestyle of some one unless you're with them 24/7... :)

Exactly!
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    I do remember seeing this a while back, and scoffing a little..thinking "oh it cant be that hard" because I always ate what I liked and wanted, though it was 80% healthy I still loved a bit of junk, so I honestly thought I ate soooo much already. but when I finally decided to try to gain weight myself after being naturally skinny my entire life, I couldn't believe what a mental and physical and emotional challenge it was...After about 12 weeks of eating between 2300-2500 I was done in with food, and way absolutely desperate to just maintain for a while. Learning to make slightly less healthy choices to fill calorie goals was so hard for me, it was in my nature to reach for the healthier (and often lower calorie option) and to have to over feed was just a gross feeling, I felt full and sluggish all the time, and was in a constant state of bloat...it worked though, I managed about 10 lbs in 12 weeks (97lbs to 106/7lbs but it wasn't enjoyable, food used to be food, and suddenly I'd formed this weird relationship with it.

Now back at maintenance for a while, 1900 calories a day is my perfect amount, I am happy again, eating well, eating what I enjoy, and only having to pay attention a little more closely to what I eat to be sure I meet my goals. I have had to change my eating habits slightly, remember to add more healthy fats etc...but I dread when I decide to do another bulk.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Thanks for sharing this - looking forward to watching it when I get home
  • 80Ben
    80Ben Posts: 119 Member
    Looks interesting, I'll definitely watch that. Thanks!
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    in the words of my stroppy teenage self

IF'S NOT FAIR!!!!

:mad: :angry:
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 441 Member
    Bump
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Genetics loads the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger ...

Genetics load, environment triggers.. :wink:
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    It is very interesting. I only watched the first 5 and will watch the last 2 after work today. As for using only young people in the experiment, I was thin like them too at that age and look what happened to me. I thought I would never be fat because I was able to eat anything I wanted. There are so many interesting facts about obesity and how it happens and if you read between the lines ways of trying to outsmart the biological natural weight clock.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    So, we need a documentary to figure this one out?
    How about they intake the amount of calories their body metabolizes.
    HOLD THE PRESSES!
    :noway:

If you dont find it interesting you dont have to be a jerk, I think these documentaries about weight are fascinating and I'd thought I'd share it since this is a weight loss forum.

Never Mind. I dont even know why I let people who arnt being so nice bother me, there are plenty of people who are being nice.
    You are correct.
    Learn all you can. There is value in education.
    Make it translate into results.
    Good Luck
    :drinker:
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    I watched that.

*SPOILER* *SPOILER*

The frustrating conclusion was pretty much, thin people who eat loads stay thin because......they are just built that way. *shakes fist*.

Sadly I do not have those genes and would have easily put on a good stone during that study.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Burn more how, though. Like I mentioned in my comment, my cousin eats huge quantities of high calorie junk all day long, then sits on his rear and plays video games for most of the day. He's certainly not eating less, and if he's burning more, it's not because he's more active. The only option is that he has a faster metabolism, but why? And I think that's really what their looking at. What makes some people's metabolism burn more efficiently than others when diet and exercise do not play a factor?

^ This is not controlled. Chances are he eats less than you think and moves more than you think.

No, he doesn't. I lived with him for several months. He worked part time. On my days off, I'd get up around 8am in the morning, he was still sleeping and stayed that way until 10 or 11am. When he got up, he'd go straight to the kitchen and pour himself a HUGE glass of sweet tea and grab a bag of chips (he'd eat the whole bag) or some leftover pizza or whatever he could find. Then he'd head for the computer or the playstation and there he'd stay for the next four hours until it was time for him to go to work. He'd leave for work around 3 or 4pm (he worked at a pizza joint, and he told me himself he'd eat a whole pizza on his break and he drank sodas the whole time he was there), and he got off work around 10 or 11pm. When he got home he'd be back in the kitchen loading up on sweet tea and whatever I had cooked for dinner, which was usually homestyle, country cooking full of butter, cream, salt, etc... I once saw him eat two or three cups of mashed potatoes, three fried pork chops, and about a cup and a half of homemade mac and cheese...then he went back for seconds! This was not a once in a while thing. This was pretty much his daily routine. I know it was like this all the time because he and I had discussions about it. He even told me that, even if he did get fat, he'd probably never stop eating that way because he doesn't like healthy food. Yes, he actually said that. Sad, but true.
  • bellyake3
    bellyake3 Posts: 135 Member
    BUMP
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    I watched this a couple of years ago and I thought it was interesting (although it did leave some questions unanswered).

I know people are saying it's simply that thinner people eat less and burn more, but that doesn't really answer the question .... why? I watched it from the point of view of somebody who spent the vast majority of their life at the "correct" weight without ever having to think about what I ate or how much exercise I got. What changed to make me fat? What was different when I wasn't fat? Why did my "instincts" have me eating exactly the right amount of calories to maintain for all those years, then suddenly eating too many?

My opinion of why people are thin for a long time and then gain weight is hormonal regulation. I was thin until the age of 25. So my hormonal regulation was perfect. My weight was so stable that I never gained or lost. In fact, I didn't even know how much I weighed. As people get older, their hormonal regulation can get out of whack, and simply not work properly. This happened for me, but in my case it's because I'm tired 99.9% of the time. Tiredness increases hunger. I can see this by having a nap, and not being hungry afterwards and not wanting to eat for a few hours.