Knee Advice...please

Options
13»

Replies

• Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well saw the GP today and the diagnosis for my knee is Chondromalacia patellae .......the recommended treatment.....only bloody yoga and pilates as I've been doing......very pleased as now I can get on knowing I'm not causing more damage.....hurrah!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do the 30DS every day. You are actually supposed to take recovery days it's (5 days week, with one day cardio and one day recovery). JM has said that the name was thought up by her marketing team, and that it's misleading. But if you need more recovery time --don't feel guilty about taking it.

You can substitute movements if you need to. What's important is that you keep moving. If you have trouble with the lunges, then substitute something else for them, just substitute cardio for cardio and strength for strength . When I got to level 3, I found it difficult to do the 'rockstar' jumps -- so I did high-knees and jump rope instead.

Try viewing the 30DS as a guide -- but not an absolute must -- there won't be a test. As long as you are moving, sweating and getting your heart rate up, then that's good. You can always supplement your workouts, if you feel guilty.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    The best thing is to consult your doctor. Although you could be letting your knee go over your toes in your lunges. That will certainly bring on pain.
  • eawest42
    Options
    I play roller derby and my knees take the brunt of the stress and impact. I have found that icing on a regular basis is so so so important, and being on an ibuprofen shedule for a couple of days is amazing in what it can remedy. BUT, most importantly, don't ignore it. Go to the doctor if it does not get better.
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    As above, doctor has confirmed it's chrondomalacia patellae.....and recommended yoga and pilates to strengthen the muscles around the knee particularly quads which will sort me out :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you're able to proceed.

30ds is notorious for screwing up knees, Fwiw.
  • nomoreFA
    nomoreFA Posts: 40
    Options
    I tore the tendon in my quad muscle 18 months ago. I had 4 months of p.t and took 10 months off from running. I continued to do other exercises though. I started running again 6 months ago and have now reinjured it due to a two week hiking and running vacation to Alaska. The doctor says I have tendonosis and chrondomalacia patella. I am back in p.t and so far it hasn't helped. My knee is in constant pain and I am tired of walking as a form of exercise. I have gained a wealth of info. on this blog. Thanks for the topic and posts.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you had your doc work it up!