Spinach - what to do with?

Options

Replies

• Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Right I'm home from work so here's the recipe I promised earlier for curry with sweet potato, spinach and cherry tomatoes:-

Serves 4 (or 2 if you live in my house)

300ml vegetable or chicken stock (I use Kallo low sodium veg)
    750g sweet potato peeled and cut into bite size cubes
    1 onion peeled and finely diced (I prefer red onion)
    225g fresh spinach
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely diced
    1 red chilli, deseeded and finely diced
    1 tablespoon curry powder (I use mild but it's up to you how hot you like it)
    10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half

Place the stock in a large saucepan and add the sweet potato and onion. Bring to the boil and reduce heat, cover and gently cook for 4-5 minutes.

Add the spinach, garlic, chilli, curry powder and tomatoes to the saucepan, stir well and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes or until the spinach has just wilted and the sweet potatoes are tender.

EAT!!!
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Sorry, the book doesn't say if the recipe above is freezer friendly and frankly I'm just not that clever.....:happy:
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I eat baby spinach every day. It's become a replacement for lettuce which is blah tasting and nutritionally useless.

Put it into a smoothie. Shredded onto wraps with grilled meat and vegetables. Tacos, omelettes, quiches. On hamburgers, in salads. Occasionally, boiled and loaded with butter and salt.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    hear a lot of people put it in their protein shake. (someone else may have already said that. I like it in salads and i had spinach tart once, it was lovely. Bet it would be nice in a frittata too x
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    I don't like cooked spinach. I put raw spinach in my salads or on sandwiches.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i make a spinich and cottage cheese canneloni, its one of my favourite meals. i make up a big batch (6 portions) eat 1 and freeze the others so have handy meals to put in the microwave. let me know if you want the recipe :-)
    I do please...can you mesasge it to me????
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I'll throw some in an ommlette for my daughter or I'll sautee' it with other veggies and serve it with whole train pasta or as a bed for baked fish or grilled shrimp. Or...just use it as "salad"
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Saute it up with some feta and bacon (or whatever you want to toss in this mixture like mushrooms, onions, etc.), slice open a chicken breast and stuff in the spinach mixture, top with some parmesan cheese, oregano, thyme and basil then pop in the oven

Voila! Stuffed Chicken Florentine :love:

ETA: Another way:

Toss a few spinach leaves into a wrap with hummus, turkey, tomato, and avocado!
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I mix it with my egg whites in the morning and brown rice at night.

Now if you ask my two year old, he just throws it at me because it's 'caca', but I love it!

I eat it every day!
  • gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293
    Options
    I just want to say thanks for all the great ideas. Here all this time I thought I was the only one that LIKED spinach....:happy:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Put 1-2 cups in smoothies...Nara green monster... Blended well with fruit etc you don't taste it...ngoogle green monster :)

Salad, my fave is:

Spinach
    Strawberries ( and/or blueberries, rasp)
    Manderin segments
    Red onion
    Almond slivers
    Feta
    Raspberry vinegrette

Seriously like summer in a bowl

Also spinach patties

Or cooked into pasta dishes, egg dishes (frittatas), rolled into turkey meatballs, soups e tc.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I use it in salad as an alternative to lettuce.

It is also great in stews, casseroles, homemade curry, potato and spinach bake topped with cheese x
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I add it into whatever I'm cooking, it's next to no calories and packed full of nutrients. I put it in my curries, fajita mix or steam it and eat with fish. Mix it in with scrambled egg for breakfast too or just use it as salad.

^This. I use it in place of lettuce (yuck!) for salads, tacos, sandwiches, etc. I mix it in with eggs and put it on top of crackers spread with cheese. I like to sautee it with mushrooms, minced garlic, and olive oil for a side dish with dinner. I add it to spaghetti sauce, egg rolls, soup, you name it. I've even made spinach chips out of it (like the kale chips that are super popular right now).
  • lewanadupree
    lewanadupree Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use it in omelettes, soups, wraps and smoothies.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Add to egg whites and some cheese and get this...

break71712.jpg
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I make penne rosa with it, or lasanga, sandwiches instead of lettuce, salads, bed of spinach with salmon, and grill it. I tend to stay away from it cooked alone, there's a certain flavor I don't like about it.
  • greatwood1
    greatwood1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    All the suggestions and recipes sound great. You can have a look at this blost on my blog Kitchen Keepers for a good alternative for Eggs Benedict using spinach. Yummy.

http://kitchenkeepers.wordpress.com/2012/04/16/mary-anns-eggs-benedict/
  • sarabluebell
    sarabluebell Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I add a bunch to grilled cheese sandwhiches....salads...and sometime when i have lots of time i dice chicken and veggies and roll that in spinach leaves then dip in some low cal terriayi sauce...I used to not care for spinach...I still dont care for it much frozen but fresh is delish
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    I saute it with a small amount of olive oil and some diced shallots and garlic... then i use it as a base for a healthy pizza! add some low fat mozz, a sprinkling of parmesan, some grilled chicken breast strips... and lots of other veggies. delish!
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    Chicken ceasar wraps: Whole wheat wraps, fresh baby spinach (i dont use romaine lettuce), grilled chicken, drizzle 2tbs of sressing over.. fold it up and enjoy! its quick, easy and tastes great!