Spinach - what to do with?

Options

Replies

• ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I use spinach in salads, wraps, smoothies (sounds weird but it's actually pretty awesome!)
    this week I sauteed some with garlic and olive oil and tossed with shirataki noodles (somehow I tried those and liked them!)
  • hummus40
    hummus40 Posts: 72
    Options
    easy stuff
    no need for fuss

just put some olive oil in a pan with GARLIC and VIDALIA ONIONS

then after awhile add ginger and some soy sauce (i use the kikoman with lemon, yum)
    and THEN

throw in that SPINACH and cover it up on low!!
    ten min...VOILA!

yummo:bigsmile:
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If it were my house I'd throw it away!!! I was on a spinach kick for a while and it lead to kidney stones. Worst experience ever! I'm sure I will eat it again eventually, but as of right now, no spinach for me.
    And yes, the doctors told me it was from eating too much spinach. I was able to show them what I had been eating (thanks MFP) the month leading up to the kidney stones and they said it was because I was eating too much spinach.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I use it in smoothies, salads, omelets, soup, on pizza, on sandwiches... went though over 2 pounds of it one month, easy. :bigsmile:

Can you taste it blended into smoothies?
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Add to egg whites and some cheese and get this...

break71712.jpg

Sriracha? Oh my.... that looks killer.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Can you taste it blended into smoothies?

No, and I toss a good handful in. It you use lot more than that it "dulls" the flavor/color a bit, but it doesn't look or taste like spinach. I find a bit of lime juice counteracts the flavor dulling.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I don't like cooked spinach. I put raw spinach in my salads or on sandwiches.

THIS! Cooked spinach is revolting in my opinion but use it in salads or anytime you'd use lettuce and it's great! Topping burgers and inside wraps...it's wonderful.

My favorite salad: spinach, craisins, chopped walnuts, crumbled blue cheese and a blueberry vinaigrette. (I make this one a lot but add a bit more sugar and skip the onions: http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2008/08/homemade-blueberry-vinaigrette.html)
  • ashlafer
    ashlafer Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good lord, what can you NOT do with spinach? I only started eating it a few months ago...you can put in just about anywhere. It's so great!
    -Spinach-cheese omelet.
    -If you make smoothies: Replace about 1/2 a cup of your regular add-ins (i.e. 1/2 cup of strawberries if you put in two cups, etc) with a cup or more. Make sure to add a lot of flavorful things (I like to put in a little bit of sugar free vanilla syrup)
    -Cut up about two cups of spinach and mix it into meat or tomato sauce when you make lasagna or pasta
    -SALAD SALAD SALAD. I personally like 3 cups of spinach with 2 tbsps (fat free or light) raspberry viniagrette, 1 tbsp craisins, and 2 tbsp sliced almonds. The toppings are sweet and crunchy enough that I forget that I'm eating healthy.
    -Sandwiches, burgers...replace your lettuce with spinach!

Just make sure you wash it well. Leafy vegetables tend to carry more bacteria than others because they are difficult to wash and people are too lazy :P.
    I'd recommend baby spinach over regular spinach. I find it more attractive :P
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    My fiancee loves when I saute it with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and freshly chopped garlic.

It's also good if you add it to pizzas...or put it in your eggs with some mushrooms and swiss cheese.
  • jkallen319
    jkallen319 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My favorite uses of spinach:

1. Turkey Spinach wrap - I use a whole wheat tortilla and put deli sliced turkey on it and sprinkle pepper jack cheese on it. Then I put it in the toaster oven to melt the cheese. Get it out and put a big handful of spinach on it and roll it up. Enjoy!

2. Spinach strawberry salad - spinach, sliced strawberries, poppy seed dressing and sliced almonds.
  • Kioko1973
    Kioko1973 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Spinach with strawberries, feta, walnuts and viniagrette dressing, use in smoothies (almond milk, spinach, banana, protein powder, fresh/frozen blueberries), spinach and kale sauteed with olive oil, fresh shallots and garlic, chop and add it to your meatloaf (I use ground turkey, chopped fresh spinach, chopped fresh carrots, fresh shallots and garlic, steel cut oats and egg whites with a brown gravy).
  • ambrwaves27
    ambrwaves27 Posts: 206
    Options
    Last time I answered one of these threads I got burned. . .damn zucchini
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Fry in single layer in bacon grease until each leaf is dark green (all moisture gone). So light, crispy, and delicious.

Alternatively, you could...uh...well, no, that's really the only good way to eat spinach.

I keed! I keed!

I also occasionally eat it raw as the base for a salad (instead of the almost entirely worthless iceberg lettuce). For that matter, substitute spinach for lettuce any chance you get...

You could probably dehydrate it too...(I wonder if it would turn out like kale chips?)
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have a farmshare CSA at a local farm so I get TONS of greens in the spring. 2 of my favorites:

Make a spring green pesto with greens instead of basil (or greens AND basil). Then put it in an ice cube tray, freeze it and then transfer to a ziploc. You have a healthy pesto ready to go.

Winter greens lasagna. I used this recipe and added peas and mushrooms...not an everyday meal because of the cream but you could probably substitute a low fat milk and just cook it down. Oh and I used sour cream as my grocery store did not have creme fraiche. http://www.chow.com/recipes/11415-winter-greens-lasagna
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    http://www.canadianliving.com/food/creamy_chicken_and_spinach_pasta.php

I usually add more veggies to this dish - peppers, mushrooms, onions whatever is on hand!
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Add to egg whites and some cheese and get this...

Sriracha? Oh my.... that looks killer.

Sriracha aye. It's the best thing since air.
  • High_D
    High_D Posts: 10
    Options
    One of the recent Cooking Light magazines had a section on pizzas. The 3 Cheese and spinach was wonderful.
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I steam it and let it cool, press it in a sieve to remove the moisture, then mix it into ground turkey with feta cheese and some red onion and make burgers. :)
  • Mama06
    Mama06 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use it in omelettes, salads, & especially sandwiches!
  • deepbreaths_strongmoves
    Options
    This is one of my fave/unusual ways to eat/drink spinach!

Green Monster Spinach Smoothie

Serves 1

Ingredients:

1 frozen sliced banana

1 Tablespoon peanut butter

1/2 cup 0% Vanilla Chobani Greek yogurt

1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze (or other kind of milk)

4 cups baby spinach (or more, or less)

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

Nutritional stats:

350 calories, 10g fiber, 21g protein

It's from http://iowagirleats.com/2012/01/04/my-top-secret-diet-weapon/

I also put spinach in just about everything if I need an extra punch of nutrients. For example: adding it to my daily sandwiches, salads, spaghetti sauce, etc.

Another recipe that I like is pretty simple: strawberries, spinach, lemon poppy seed dressing, almonds, and chicken... YUM!