Metformin/Glucophage

2»

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,173 Member
    Andie - ask your doctor if you can take the extended-release formula twice per day (cut the pill in half)

The information I read on timed release Met says to NOT cut the pills in half. You might want to check on that.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    It sounds like your dr. was right to prescribe the met. I think some of your problem is the high dose. Start with 500 mg, at a time. I started with 500, then 1000 and stayed there for years. Then I went to 1500 for years. When I went to 2000 I had a little bit of discomfort for about a week then it got better. I've been on 2000 mg since January and don't even notice it anymore. There are some people who just can't take met but the gradual buildup will probably help.
  • jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Hi there! I was prescribed metformin for my PCOS as well. I am on birth control and take 1000mg/day of metformin. I hated it at first because it did make me frequent the bathroom and feel light headed and nauseous, but after about a week those side effects went away, and I did notice that my energy levels were better and my craving subsided a lot! Sometimes I wasn't even hungry at all and just ate because I wasn't hitting my 1200 calories otherwise. Taking metformin solely for weight loss might be a nono, but for PCOS it definately helps if you can get past that first week.

Nobody had told me either that it would make you feel like crap. But there are TONS of online forums with women saying the same thing about it. <3
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    I've taken it in the past for pcos and insulin resistance. I did lose weight on it, I had about ten to lose and that was gone. I couldn't eat. Anything greasy or dairy or I would be very sick. I took it in the evening and that seemed to help. Good luck!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    First of all, it doesn't effect your blood sugar so taking it won't HURT you. Glucophage doesn't make your body increase insulin production, it makes your liver produce less sugar and keeps your body from absorbing too much sugar. I started taking it in March and I don't need it any longer for diabetic purpose (my last two A1Cs were great) but my DR suggested I stay on it for it's appetite suppressant qualities until I get closer to my goal weight.

The intestinal upset was intense, I admit that. It took it about a week to pass and if I didn't HAVE to take it for diabetes I would have gone off it. However, once that passed it never gave me trouble again.

The side effect works great for me. It makes me kind of ambivalent about food. Those things that I crave taste 'strange' so when I do eat them it's just not worth it. It makes me mildly nauseous so over eating doesn't happen.

Hate on it all you want, but I'm down 101 and it'll carry me out of the obese range on the charts in the next 6 months.....
  • Metformin has been a godsend for me- I started on 1 slow realise tablet @ 500 after my main meal at night and the doctor found this wasn't working for me and was not bringing my BGL numbers down. The first couple of days before I went to bed I had really bad wind pain but it would go away after a few minutes but I could live with it. Then 2 weeks later I went back to the doctors and he brought me up to 2 slow realise tablets at night before or after a meal. I was taking it straight before a meal but half the time I would forget and take it after a meal and its worked a treat and my BGL is back to normal readings..

I'm not sure if the medication has worked for weight loss for me as I have been very hard on myself as far as diet is concerned anyway and lost a lot of weight since July 2012.

I have read a lot about people having problems with this medication so I feel very luck that it's worked for me.

Good luck and hope it all goes well for those like yourself who are new to medication like this.
  • sthomse5
    sthomse5 Posts: 22 Member
    Andie - ask your doctor if you can take the extended-release formula twice per day (cut the pill in half). My doctor prescribes 500mg to start instead of 1000mg to give patients time to get used to it. He said the extended-release is MUCH easier on the body, and it's best if you take half a pill after your last bite of breakfast and the other half after your last bite of dinner. Having a full stomach is key. He said very, very few of his patients experience nausea and other intestinal issues when they take it this way.

I'm filling my prescription tonight. I'm not going to start it until my next day off, though, because I work in a call center and can't just get up and run to the bathroom if I'm on a call. If I do have any bad side effects that first day, at least I'll be at home. Hopefully, it'll all be okay and I'll adjust to it in no time. /crosses fingers

I'm a P.A. and you have your information pretty spot on, except for splitting the time release pills. Don't do that, ever, with any TR meds! It defeats the purpose of the coating they use in order to make it a TIME RELEASED med... so instead, you are digesting the FULL dosage. Either get lower dose REGULAR pills to take twice a day or take one TR. Best of luck!