Renaissance Faire- Any Guild members (wenches, etc?)

Options

Replies

• Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Not a member but I have been to the MD ren fair every year since I was 8 (I'm now 29). This year my husband and I are going opening weekend and then for another day in September. In September we are going with 3 people who have never been and really have no idea what to expect.
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Forgot answer the rest of OP's question - namely, how has weight loss affected your garb. Fortunately for me, all that's involved is sewing the skirt waistband closures a little closer, and lacing up the bodice a little tighter. Bloomers and chemises edges are all either elastic (*gasp*, I know) or drawstring, so no real modifications needed there. It would suck to have to buy all-new armor, yeesh.

*laugh* Don't feel too bad. Had to use grommets on my new kirtle as I didn't have time to sew the eyelets... Shame shame...

Awwwyeah, high five for the use of grommets. I used to do drawstring waists on my bloomers, but seriously? NO ONE sees that waistband, and trying to tie the stupid string while holding up 17 pounds of skirts while being crammed inside a dark portapotty? Elastic for me, thanks. ;)

I was never SCA, though, so I think I get a little bit of a bye on being 100% authentic - for me, it's all about the show and making sure the patrons have a great time every second of the day once they're inside our gates. :flowerforyou:

Indeed on the idea that the fun of it is more important, which is why I was always more interested in Faire than in SCA, though I appreciated the opportunity to learn relatively unknown raunchy songs... ;) I have a friend who is a history teacher who once said to me, "If they're that concerned about authenticity, why aren't they eating rancid meat and dying of currently curable diseases?"

And thanks for the reminder of the correct way to spell grommets... not a word I often use. :blushing:
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    not a geek about it, but I've been to the one in Plantersville, TX, and it was very cool. Party on...

I'll just say, thank gawd it was warm that day ;)
  • rockermom5
    Options
    Love this! Been going for years and have my own faire wear.. :) We will be going in the next few weeks (Bristol Ren Faire in Wisconsin). I haven't tried a lot of my vests/corsets on as of yet to see how the fit is different with the little bit of weight I lost, but it'll be interesting to see. Good thing I have some older ones from my smaller days!
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    MD Ren Faire here! Usually spend a small fortune at The Brass Dragon!

Not sure how my wench costume is going to fit me since I've lost weight in my chest *pout*

Have also been to the PA Ren Faire but I feel the MD one is far superior..although I am not happy about the lack of Hack & Slash and The Rogues...
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I also forgot to answer the rest of the OP's question - I've gained a bit since the last time I hit fair or an SCA event. Most of my stuff is pretty forgiving as far as weight loss/gain goes. My chemises are pretty roomy and bodices can be adjusted.

The only thing that's a disappointment is that the apron dress that I made has gotten pretty snug since packing the weight on. I'll let you know how it fits once I've dropped back down to where I should be. ;)
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Not a part of any guilds, and not as involved as I'd love to be... Hubby and I were nominal SCAdians years ago (were in a SCAdian wedding of our best friends, which is when I made hubby's garb... sadly don't have that dress of mine anymore), but never got as involved then as I wanted to be, either. Had too many interests and many got short shrift.

I go to Colorado Ren Fest in Larkspur, one of the best in my opinion (but I'm biased). It was a photo of me in my garb from a couple years ago that was part of my decision to lose weight. I just didn't look quite as good as I wanted to. Since then, I've lost about 12 pounds and made a new kirtle (specifically for my hubby's knighthood birthday party) that I proudly wore this year. I want to make another at some point--one that is even more form fitting than the one I made this year.

Blessings to m'lord and his lady.

i've been to the Larkspur Ren Faire...i'd have to agree prob best one i've ever been to! the locale does help quite a bit :drinker:
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Loki I will bring thunder upon you. dang, wrong thread again
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    MD Ren Faire here! Usually spend a small fortune at The Brass Dragon!

Not sure how my wench costume is going to fit me since I've lost weight in my chest *pout*

Have also been to the PA Ren Faire but I feel the MD one is far superior..although I am not happy about the lack of Hack & Slash and The Rogues...

I love the MD fair but haven't visited the PA one yet. I really do wish they could find another spot in MD though. It is just so crowded the last few weekends they hold it. This year the admission prices are lower for the first few weekends so that will hopefully help with the crowding problem.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    <--- Heathen Viking right here
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I'm not a part of any guilds, but have been part of the Kansas City Renaissance Festival since 2003. Huzzah! :drinker:

Do you know Jotun's Bane Kindred and go to Camp Gaea? I got to go a few times.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I think a lot of the people you're looking for are at the world's largest SCA event happening right now. Pensaic in Pennsylvania. So jealous my kinsman is there and I'm not! Love him anyways.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    LOVE Ohio Ren Fest -- it's only about 45 minutes away! Opens up Labor Day Weekend - counting the days!

Kentucky Highland festival is a little further, just northeast of Louisville, but it's growing up nicely! Went to it a few weeks ago - mostly to see Doktor Kaboom, who I adore.

My first one was near Houston, Texas - the huge Texas Ren Fest. THAT was amazing! It's probably been 15 years since I was there, but it was such a fantastic experience it looms large in my mind!

When i hit my goal weight, I am treating myself to a bosomy dress - gimme another year or two and I'll be there with bells on!
  • Montegue42
    Options
    I perform at the Bristol Renaissance Faire in Wisconsin with the Guilde of St. George...I play a knight's wife and lady in her majesty's court. Its way too much fun! Glad to see some other people who are crazy like me :)
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    After losing all the weight I have and getting in shape over the last year I treated myself this year to custom leather armor for the local renaissance faire (New York Ren). I have wanted leather armor for like forever but it never looks right on really heavy people (plus it doesnt exactly expand or contract easily!). Last night while assembling and fitting the armor I got thinking about faire and MFP.

So how many rennies are on this site? and what is your home faire? and how has your weight loss journey affected what you are going to do this year?

And do you belong to any guilds (i.e. Wenches Guild, Ren Merc, Rogues Guild, Barbarian, etc) and if so what is your pin number?

I am Ren Merc #2 and my wife (who is on MFP) is Wenches Guild #2

SCAdians and LARPers can also join in! Lets get our geek on! :drinker:

i used to sell garb for a relatively well-known mail-order/internet company. i was never guild, but my home faire was AZ Ren Faire, before i moved to the midwest. i briefly brushed past the SCA community in Cbus, OH, before moving from there, too. i wish there was a faire closer to me. i'm five hours away from a few of them :'( i'm soooooo close to Pennsic i can taste it. but i'm too busy to be active right now.

i miss rapier practice and i'm pretty sure my bodices will need to be replaced if/when i have time to go back.
  • hersheythecat
    hersheythecat Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    No guild but we enjoy the NC Ren Faire. Haven't tried my clothes on in a couple of years so not sure how they will fit. I guess I should try though since it starts soon.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    We go at least once a year, and then use any other excuse to dress. Sometimes, we like to dress and just go downtown to hit the bars. We do a piratical theme, and as far as changes from weight loss, the only negative I have to say is that my $350 custom made steel boned corset no longer fits. It was measured to take my waist down to a 36, and without any help at all I'm at a 34. Bittersweet. I'm hoping that by next year, I'll be at a steady enough weight to buy a new one, but for now I'm making do with a cheapy faux-leather corset.
    We're based in Colorado, and hoping to join up with a guild once the mini-wenches are old enough to allow us grown-up time. For now, we just do at least one weekend as a full family trip, and one as adults only.

IMG_1227.jpg
  • Montegue42
    Options
    We go at least once a year, and then use any other excuse to dress. Sometimes, we like to dress and just go downtown to hit the bars. We do a piratical theme, and as far as changes from weight loss, the only negative I have to say is that my $350 custom made steel boned corset no longer fits. It was measured to take my waist down to a 36, and without any help at all I'm at a 34. Bittersweet. I'm hoping that by next year, I'll be at a steady enough weight to buy a new one, but for now I'm making do with a cheapy faux-leather corset.
    We're based in Colorado, and hoping to join up with a guild once the mini-wenches are old enough to allow us grown-up time. For now, we just do at least one weekend as a full family trip, and one as adults only.

IMG_1227.jpg

I hear you!! I'm trying to get to my goal weight by january so that my new dress will be small enough...my other dress is sliding off! I use about 30 safety pins per weekend to keep it together.
  • Alzzak
    Alzzak Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Would love to, go to a Renaissance fair but.... it was one of the many things I had planned to do with my mom... :( I played D&D as a kid, so the idea of LARP always interested me...