Renaissance Faire- Any Guild members (wenches, etc?)

Options

Replies

• zerbe6982
    Options
    I attend the Scarborough Renaissance Faire in Waxahachie, TX. It is a lot of fun and great food!
  • garnetmemory
    garnetmemory Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hail and well met!

I've been attending faire since the late 1980s at NYRF. Current home faire is CTRF.

IWG 280 Madame cum laude
    Madame Emeritus, Local 24 (New England)

Privateer 325
    Quartermistress aboard the Privateer Grave Dancer

Ren Merc 462, Battle Bytch
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    You lucky ducks! The Colorado Renn rest is in the dead of summer. I dream of the things we could do with our attire if we weren't going to be spending a full day in 90-100 degree weather climbing hills. Nice thing about weight loss, I don't melt as much as I used to, but it is still not my idea of ideal weather for that many layers.
    At least TLAP day is in September...
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about Renaissance Faires, and they don't really interest me. But I do want to encourage the wenches: good job, wenches!
  • FionaNiConnor
    FionaNiConnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Merry meet, good gentles.

Ten year Rennie, part time SCAdian.
    Home faire: CTRF (ctfaire.com)
    SCA homeland: Barony of Carolingia, East Kingdom

IWG 3082, Local 24
    Current Mistress of Song

IFoRP 818
    Carpentrix, Second Mate, The Finné o' Bretragne

Battle Bytch 839
    King Richard's Dragoons

So far I've had to take in a few skirts, a kirtle, and a couple of pairs of bloomers. I've had to build a couple of new kirtles and tweak some sideless surcotes & their patterns, make some new skirts, and the Viking apron dress I hand sewed and embroidered has to be taken in by a ridiculous amount. Most of my bodices will survive for at least another year of weight loss. When I reach my goal weight, my custom Lusty Leather leather bodice will have to go back to her maker for a massive cut-down. I'll probably have to sell my Potted Fox and maybe trade in my Moresca. I'll definitely have to trade in my new Lady & The Leopard corset, which sucks because I really love that fabric!
    Luckily I know how to make bodices etc, so I can economically rebuild my garb collection.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Home faire: CTRF (ctfaire.com)

I totally forgot about CT Ren

I will be up there for sure 13OCT. I am going to Mystic for the penguin 5K and will then don my armor (in my profile pic) and head up.

Hope to meet a some of you MFPers up there! :)
  • garnetmemory
    Options
    I know a few guild members who attend CTRF are on MFP, but I'll let them say hello themselves.

When you come to CTRF, ask for the guild hostel and be sure to say hello to Lord RHUFF and Lady Reddy.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    For those of you who belong to the IWG, do you think joining is worth the effort/cost? It's something I've considered joining, but I don't know that our local chapter is terribly active, and as Faire is something I do for fun (not something I live for during the off-season), I have to wonder if it'd be a wise choice for me to join.

Is it really just something you join so you can say you're a part of it (and have the pin), or are there actual ongoing benefits to being a part of the guild?
  • garnetmemory
    Options
    For those of you who belong to the IWG, do you think joining is worth the effort/cost? It's something I've considered joining, but I don't know that our local chapter is terribly active, and as Faire is something I do for fun (not something I live for during the off-season), I have to wonder if it'd be a wise choice for me to join.

Is it really just something you join so you can say you're a part of it (and have the pin), or are there actual ongoing benefits to being a part of the guild?

I'd say is worth it. I've met some amazing people through membership in the guild. Then again as former madame for Local 24, I tend to be that way :)

The New England local is very active at CTRF. He have a hostel on site and organize management-approved wenchings (and rogueings).

If you are in MO, your local chapter is Local 29.
  • FionaNiConnor
    FionaNiConnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options

As my dear GarnetMemory said, yes- totally worth it.
  • SaharaZaraMorocco
    SaharaZaraMorocco Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I adore the Ren Fest! My home faire is MD Ren Festival. I have a ton of friends in the midwest, so have traveled out to Bristol a couple of years in a row now, usually for the weekend when they do Day of Wrong. We show up in crazy stuff - last year we did holidays and I went as Bastille Day, elizabethan style. I was going to go to the Minnesota Faire this year, but plans fell through. I'm planning on definitely doing it next year.

I'm not a SCAdian, but I am a historical costumer. So, I build all my fest wear from scratch. I get a little tired of the same time period or location, so I tend to stretch the boundaries a bit. The last couple of years I've gone to the MD Ren Fest in Venetian clothes of roughly the same era. I haven't lost enough weight for it to matter yet, but I sure will be excited to make new stuff! Hopefully next year.

I also don't belong to any guilds - but have been really interested in the Wenches. I will have to check it out again.

(Yeah, and what's up with no Rogues or Medieval Baebes at MD Fest this year?? Totally sad about that. :sad: Love them both!)
  • scarlettvetter
    Options
    I'm a festie! My home fest is also the first fest I ever attended, Minnesota Renaissance Fest. I look forward to fest season all year, even if it does mark the end of Summer! I started attending 7 or so years ago. Fest inspired me to take up a new hobby, historical costume, which is how I met the lovely SaharaZaraMorocoo ^ (previous reply).

I love exploring other Renaissance Festivals, and so far have been to Ohio, Bristol, and Texas. MNRF opens up next Saturday, very much looking forward to it though I'm not quite prepared yet!

Last year, I treated myself to a pair of Catskill Mountain Moccasins and will be sporting them this year! If you see them (or me) round, come up and say "Hi!"

7753435484_1d7b591787.jpg
  • SaharaZaraMorocco
    SaharaZaraMorocco Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm a festie! My home fest is also the first fest I ever attended, Minnesota Renaissance Fest. I look forward to fest season all year, even if it does mark the end of Summer! I started attending 7 or so years ago. Fest inspired me to take up a new hobby, historical costume, which is how I met the lovely SaharaZaraMorocoo ^ (previous reply).

I love exploring other Renaissance Festivals, and so far have been to Ohio, Bristol, and Texas. MNRF opens up next Saturday, very much looking forward to it though I'm not quite prepared yet!

Last year, I treated myself to a pair of Catskill Mountain Moccasins and will be sporting them this year! If you see them (or me) round, come up and say "Hi!"

Those moccasins are really cute! I'm totally jealous.
    Also jealous that you've been to the Ohio fest - I'm from Ohio and have never been! Of course, I left the heart of it all before I even knew what a fest was!

I would love to meet more MFP peeps, too. Let me dig up a pic of my Venetian for the MD Renn Fest for y'all!
  • swordsmith
    Options

7753435484_1d7b591787.jpg

Jealous... I could not afford them so I have nine button Sandlers instead.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    So pretty! I have some NativeEarth boots that are similar in concept, but different colors - mine are brown & forest green with oak leaf cutouts. LOVE-love them!
  • snogged
    snogged Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Ren Faires. My home faire is Bristol Ren Faire in Wisconsin and I have an association with Dark Cloud Twiztid Leather.

I will admit though that it's hard to find healthy food choices on a Faire day, but on the bright side, I sure am getting my walking in as I make the circles around the grounds.
  • snogged
    snogged Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    Bristol is my home faire too!
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    We go to the RenFaire in Harveysburg, OH. He also does NERO stuff, (live action role playing; not sure if you knew what that was) He doesn't go as much as he used to, married life, 4 kids and a job but he does still go on occasion. I just go for the atmosphere but he loves all that stuff.
  • swordsmith
    Options
    I will admit though that it's hard to find healthy food choices on a Faire day, but on the bright side, I sure am getting my walking in as I make the circles around the grounds.

Its even worse when you are a vegetarian! LOL

But NYRF in the last couple of years really expanded there food selections to include salads, a great middle eastern place (falafals, etc) and a newbooth this year making spinach and feta quesadillas! Oh plus a portabello mushroom sandwich.

Luckily I dont drink so all of that ale, beer and mead does not tempt me!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I kind of got confused in stomachflu's post as to the PA or the MD faire. We were just at the PA one south of Lebanon on Sunday the 5th and they were talking the Queen's tongue. We had my granddaughter and mostly did things she would enjoy. No booze. She was dressed and got the royal treatment. She loved it and we had a good time. Never been to any others so I can't comment on them.