Back fatttttt. eeek.

Options
I know that I need cardio - got that - but what are some good exercises to strengthen the muscles in your back? Seems that one of my problem areas (probably like most women) is the area right under where the bra is.....

any help is appreciated! thanks!

Replies

• icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    strength exercises...
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    nothing works as well and as fast as the good old.... PUSH UP!..... and your arms and chest will get a workout, too!.... add to that a little cardio and go for the BURPEES....
  • missymuffet459
    Options
    I do weights 3 times per week at the gym and cardio on the off days. In one month there was a definite difference in my progress pics in the back-fat area.

In the meantime, check out the UNBELIEVABRA. It works wonders under your clothes!
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Exercise does little to promote fat loss. Being in a deficit will. Carb control is important to control insulin. (the fat storage hormone)

Fat loss is diet.
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Google these expercises online for how to perform them properly:

Shoulder press
    Upright row
    Back extension on a stability ball
    Dumbbell rows
    Superman
    Russian twists - works abs and back
    Wood chop
    You can also google back exercises for others!

Plus 20 to 30 minutes of cardio 3 to 4 times a week.

These exercises will strengthen your muscles and make you more toned. But only if you burn off the layer of fat that's hiding them.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Exercise does little to promote fat loss. Being in a deficit will. Carb control is important to control insulin. (the fat storage hormone)

Fat loss is diet.
    pretty much this
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell workout...squat w (I do 10lb) kettleball in hands in front of your body...keep arms straight, shoulders down and back and knees bent swing the kettle ball upwards (controlled motions) and back down. (Do not put the thing directly above your head) I do this about 25 x including them in my circuits. Works great!
    This really works your whole body so it has added benefits.
  • clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Buy starting strength and change your life
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Fat loss is diet.
    pretty much this

Exercise promotes healthy muscles which are needed to aide in healthy weight loss.
  • clobercow
    Options

Fat loss is diet.
    pretty much this

Exercise promotes healthy muscles which are needed to aide in healthy weight loss.

Muscle is not very metabolically active. Building muscle in a deficit is very limited.
  • clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    How can you say the muscle isn't metabolically active? Show me a peer reviewed journal saying the muscle isn't metabolically active. How can people that do compound lifts that work more than one muscle at a time have less body fat on them then people that don't?
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i lost it when i reached my goal weight. dont have it anymore.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    How can you say the muscle isn't metabolically active? Show me a peer reviewed journal saying the muscle isn't metabolically active. How can people that do compound lifts that work more than one muscle at a time have less body fat on them then people that don't?
    keep in mind - he didn't say that they aren't metabolically active or that workouts do nothing - just not much
  • clobercow
    Options
    keep in mind - he didn't say that they aren't metabolically active or that workouts do nothing - just not much

Correct. People with very low bodyfat simply lose the fat.

This is a crude analogy, but very emaciated and wasted people have very little fat, but also very little muscle.

There are methods to lose body-fat and keep muscle.

Google Intermittent Fasting and Ketogenic Diet. Combine those and very low fat body percentages are attainable.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Strength train and eat right.
  • m0mofw4r
    m0mofw4r Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I haven't really been focusing on it but I've been doing a lot of zumba. With all the hip movement and booty pumping I have actually seen a pretty significant change in that area. Yay!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Keep dropping body fat and it will go away. Don't go down this path tricking yourself into thinking you might be able to spot reduce. You won't.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

Correct. People with very low bodyfat simply lose the fat.

This is a crude analogy, but very emaciated and wasted people have very little fat, but also very little muscle.

There are methods to lose body-fat and keep muscle.

Google Intermittent Fasting and Ketogenic Diet. Combine those and very low fat body percentages are attainable.

Really? People with low body fat simply lose the fat?

* listen to taso. :smile:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it really is just general fat loss. No matter how much muscle you build in your back, you won't be able to see it with fat in the way. Just keep doing what you're doing... The annoying part of weight loss is that you don't get to choose where you see improvements. But if you keep moving, you should get to a place where you're happier with the gestalt.
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Keep dropping body fat and it will go away. Don't go down this path tricking yourself into thinking you might be able to spot reduce. You won't.
    Word