How much do people use cash anymore?

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
Just curious. I have gotten to the point where about 95% of my transactions are done electronically--debit card, credit card, or pay online. I couldn't even tell you where my checkbook is any more. For a while when I was out of work, I think I had the same $10 bill in my wallet for a month. I almost never have more than $20 in cash with me--it's almost always less, because I only carry the $20 long enough to break it.

Most my bills come via email, and I regularly download all my charges into Quicken, so I keep on top of things. I use credit cards a lot for the rewards, but I avoid getting in trouble by just sitting down every week or two and sending in a payment for what I have recently purchased.

I never carry change--if I get some, I throw it in a jar--if I get pennies at a store or nickels or dimes from a vending machine, I usually don't even bother to pick it up.

Anytime I see someone hold up the check out line to write a check, it's like watching an Amish family go by in a horse-drawn carriage.

How about everyone else--is cash obsolete?

Replies

• harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I''m the same. Rarely carry cash. My debit card gets a workout. I pay my bills online via my bank's billpay option. So, that means I rarely write a check. Only write a check to someone who doesn't take debit cards - such as the lawn guy or my hairdresser.

So yes .. I think cash is aging and being pushed in the same direction as postage stamps.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I try to remember to keep a few singles in my wallet for tipping at the car wash, but that's about it. I prefer to use my debit card so I have a record of where my money is going.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Anytime I see someone hold up the check out line to write a check, it's like watching an Amish family go by in a horse-drawn carriage.

That made me laugh. There is a rare occasion that I still need to write a check, and my husband laughs at me, that I still use the checkbook.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

That made me laugh. There is a rare occasion that I still need to write a check, and my husband laughs at me, that I still use the checkbook.

I hope you realized I was poking fun at myself with that statement. Didn't mean to ridicule anyone who writes checks.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I use a check to pay the water bill because they actually charge for online payments. I use cash for my voice lesson every week, and if I stop for coffee on my way to work. That's about it.
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I use cash or checks a lot but mostly because of the kids, lunch money, school store, field trips, school pictures, holiday parties, sports. My last 26 checks were written to the kids schools.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I use my debit/credit cards a lot...

But seeing where I handle fraud issues all day at a bank, I've been trying to use cash a bit more and my cards a bit less.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I use cash a lot. Since most of our bills are electronically debited from our account (Mortgage, insurance, and so on) I carry my spending money in cash. It's harder to spend when you physically see it in your wallet and know that is all you have to play with for 2 weeks.

I work in a Credit Union and we get phone calls "My debit card says insufficient funds, why?" well because you have no money, you spent it all already.

I also find it easier (and alot of times quicker) to pay for small things with cash then debit.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    pay is electronically deposited
    bills are transferred where they need to go electronically except one that I make the trip across town to pay cash rather than them being able to link my account for 'convenience' of automated payments

groceries, gas, purchases just about everywhere else are cash, the places that charge more unless you're a member of their 'savings club' I don't bother shopping at, I go to the place that the "street price" is cheaper than the others member price is anyway and it's just the regular price. movies, yard-sales where I can score a $150 new in box dehydrator for $25? yeah I'll carry cash for that convenience... or the $120 worth of propane stove and fittings...? for $15 yup glad I had cash because while I was trying to pay for it someone else wanted to see it, but it was in my hands, if I'd had to go get the cash it would have been gone.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Card is the way to go.

I only use cash when I'm buying 1 or 2 very cheap items or if there is a fee to use your card.
  • funsteps
    funsteps Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use cash more often than debit/credit. I have a side job delivering pizzas so I always have cash on me anyway, but I like being able to look in my wallet and see exactly how much I have. It's nice when I'm out at the bar, too... If I open a tab, I lose track after a few drinks and end up spending way more than I want to. Plus, the last guy I dated never, ever carried cash and it was SO FRUSTRATING. You'd be surprised how many places we'd end up that wouldn't accept cards and I'd end up having to lend him some cash so he could get in and avoid going to ATMs that would charge a $5 fee.
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I use cash or checks a lot but mostly because of the kids, lunch money, school store, field trips, school pictures, holiday parties, sports. My last 26 checks were written to the kids schools.

This a lot, also if on occasion I do go to the cafeteria at work I have to pay cash.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Cash is king!! I do a lot of bartering for goods and services. its amazing how fast they'll drop their price when you whip out the bills. I do use credit cards, but why pay interest or a fee for small transactions.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i use my debit card for most things but i like to keep about $100 in my wallet for stuff that doesnt take debit/credit cards. the boat ramp we use a lot is cash only. our favorite diner is cash only. theres a few more. i like using the debit card more. and i pay all my bills using the debit card or just my bank acct.

people using checks at the grocery store are so annoying. come on, get into the 21st century already!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options

I hope you realized I was poking fun at myself with that statement. Didn't mean to ridicule anyone who writes checks.

I did not take that comment in any other way than what you intended!! I laughed because my husbands always has a colorful comment when someone pulls out a check book at Costco or the grocery store, and holds up the line to fill it out.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I really only write checks to my HOA and I almost never carry cash unless i get cash back from returning something.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Only time I take out cash is when I am going to bars etc. Other than that its debit card.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Only time I take out cash is when I am going to bars etc. Other than that its debit card.

Same here. Just when I am going to bars and generally I tip in cash.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I only use cash for hookers and blow.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I only use cash for hookers and blow.

lol

I almost never have cash. I do use it tho for my McD large 69Cent diet Dr. Pepper.:bigsmile: