The crazy things people say when you are losing weight...

Options

Replies

• mondesa
    mondesa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I started dieting because i needed to have major abdominal surgery.After losing 40 pounds rather quickly it was time for my surgery a coworker said why dont you just have your stomache stapled then you wont have to worry about all the other stuff
  • blackjax007
    Options
    My mom, who is going to be 80 in September, flew down to NC to see my daughter graduate high school. The first thing she said was, "Where's your *kitten*?"
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I had someone tell me today, when I mentioned my current weight, that I need to "put on a few pounds". This was on FB, so I replied "Why would I want to put on a few pounds when I've worked so hard to take them OFF????" No response....LOL
  • workinghardtobefit
    Options
    Just found this site and wish I had found it earlier. I lost 70 pounds in 2011 and the comments people made sometimes made me stop in my tracks. I'll admit most people were fairly supportive but some of my favorite comments included:

- Do you have cancer?
    - Don't get too skinny - skinny people are ugly!
    - You're done right?

I think that most people mean well but face it - change is difficult for people to accept. One thing I noticed is that initially I lost a lot of weight in my face and that made me look gaunt and skinnier than I was, but it eventually came back. In fact, I've had people comment that I look 'better' now that I've put on a little weight back (I haven't told them that I actually weigh LESS than the last time they saw me!). Only YOU know when you've arrived!
  • Leeannboswell
    Options
    Yah! I love these responses - they show your maturity level and self confidence.

No matter how snarky people can be: thoughtless, inconsiderate, mean, back biting, etc., it's a personal matter, and my weight loss is between my physician and me. (And MFP Pals!)

Good Luck, and keep it up! It's OK to say this! We will have to "keep it up" for the rest of our lives to keep it off! We can do it!
  • LeesieLuLu88
    LeesieLuLu88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    back when I was a teenager I lost alot of weight, got down to 140lbs....some church lady asked "are you meaning to lose weight?". Uh, yeahhhhh! I think alot of people thought I was doing drugs. A teenager working out and eating right wasn't very common.
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    "Isn't it haaaaaaard (they always draw it out like that) switching your diet all up like that?" Yup, you bet it is. It's even harder lugging my extra-wide butt around, and watching my loved ones enjoy things I know I can't do. I promise you, I'm not likely to expire from the effort of eating better. Maybe you should try it, too.

Love this! If you wrote a blog I would so read it!
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I don't see how u do it. U don't need to loss weight are you sick? Duuuh
  • tanmustlose
    tanmustlose Posts: 39
    Options
    I think one of the things I'm not prepared for is getting attention from people who would never have looked twice at my heavy self.

Yeah, this one I can understand. Bah humbug!

Oh, and ......... OMG what happened to you!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I recently went on out and about with my youngest daughter. I was wondering if she would notice I lost a bit of weight. But, since I can't see it I was pretty sure she wouldn't either, but she notices everything, like her sisters. Anyway she came over and I got my jacket and out we went. Five minutes later she said "Mom you lost a lot of weight you are tiny". Wait wut??? I have a long way to go to tiny. Which actually won't happen because I am large boned. I will get smaller though much smaller.
  • cnblevins
    cnblevins Posts: 9
    Options
    My favorite was...wow you've lost a lot of weight are you doing it on purpose :ohwell:
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    My favorite was...wow you've lost a lot of weight are you doing it on purpose :ohwell:

Well, unintended weight loss is indicative of illness but its still a bit backhanded way of expressing concern.
  • lvsglass
    lvsglass Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oh...this one really got me..."doesn't it feel good to be part of the human race again?"
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    A friend's mom said, "you better not get rid of all your bigger clothes, you'll need them as you go back up."

My friend is very big. She and her mom are nice enough people, but they don't give me an inch. No way, Nowhere, No how,

I hadn't seen them since January, I've lost at least 40 pounds since then. Neither said one word about my weight loss, until that thing about not getting rid of my clothing.'

It's always interesting to me that people can see me and not make a single comment about a big weight loss, buy I prefer that to the mean stuff. Yeah. I'll struggle with weight my whole life. I get that, It's like alcoholism. It's a day at a time thing, but I'm going to try my dangest not to ever go up. It's just mean to suggest that I can't stay healthy.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've had a few people say to me, "You're done aren't you? You don't need to lose any more." Well, I'm 5'3" and I still weight 146 lbs. I certainly don't think I'm quite done.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I had someone ask if I dyed my hair. The last time I had checked it was still the same color. I had a customer ask if I had gotten surgery (gastric bypass), a few asked if I was sick, someone asked if I was starving myself, & sometimes people don't know what to say & just ramble on with the most inane things.

I had a few people the other day tell me, "Wow you're smaller than me! I'm around 150, & you must be a lot less than that!" I was like, "I'm still over 200 pounds!" I don't know if they were being polite or really thought that?

I've also had people tell me to not disappear & that I'm wasting away. I would hate to see what they say when I hit my goal of 160.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    During my process, I've been told / asked by my boss and co-workers:

"You're too skinny."
    "Do you eat?"
    "You're wasting away."
    "You can stop losing weight now."

8488541.png
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I had my first one today - a coworker said to me - You weren't ugly before of anything but I bet you'll be really hot if you lose more weight

Umm thanks?
  • JRSchumaker
    JRSchumaker Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    "Wow, how skinny are you trying to get??" I'm not trying to get skinny, I'm trying to get fit. Idiots.

"You need to go eat a burrito..No, go eat TWO burritos." Seriously? How about you STOP eating burritos? :grumble:

Yes, between this and the "When are you going to stop?"

%^&* you. I will be at a healthy weight when I reach my goal, and I still have a little way to go. It's taken a long while and a lot of hard work to get this far, and no I am not yet done working hard. If that makes you feel guilty about your eating and exercise habits, maybe YOU need to change what YOU are doing. Grrrrr.
  • lvsglass
    lvsglass Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    OH! I also once got told that once I'm done losing the weight I'll have to tuck my skin in to my jeans unless I get surgery to remove it. I'm pretty sure losing the weight by eating healthy(ier) and doing regular exercise my body will keep up. It's not a crash diet and I'm certainly not losing it quickly.

Oh geez...that sounds like something my Aunt would say to me (my overweight Aunt, that is)!