The crazy things people say when you are losing weight...

Options

Replies

• Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I did plan to have surgery, and I'm on a pre-op diet that's going so well that I may not qualify by the time my surgery date rolls around. I'm usually a super open person who doesn't mind answering questions honestly, as long as the person asking doesn't make me feel like a freak show.

I'll tell you the ones that get to me, though:

(Not a question, but a comment) "I don't see why you think you need to lose so much. You're not fat." Bless your heart...I DO own a mirror. I'm just fat, not blind or stupid.

"How much weight do you want to lose?" and when I tell them "oh...are you sure? That's going to be way too much. I think you should aim for (insert arbitrary number here)." Yeah, I don't remember your occupying a seat in the surgeon's office when we set my weight goals. Trust me, I've done my research. I know what a healthy weight is for me.

"Oh, that surgery will never work. My hamster's cousin's uncle's best friend's neighbor had that, and now she weighs 8 million pounds and needs a crane to use the bathroom. Have you tried (insert fad diet of the moment here)?" Why yes...yes I have. A few times. And guess what? It didn't work for me.

"Aren't you afraid you're going to die?" Well yes, as a matter of fact I am. That's why I'm doing something about my weight. I'd rather die knowing I made an attempt than die even more quickly from a preventable illness. P.S. We all die from SOMETHING...I just prefer that my weight not be that something.

And my favorite:

"Isn't it haaaaaaard (they always draw it out like that) switching your diet all up like that?" Yup, you bet it is. It's even harder lugging my extra-wide butt around, and watching my loved ones enjoy things I know I can't do. I promise you, I'm not likely to expire from the effort of eating better. Maybe you should try it, too.

Oh wait...one more...

"Don't you miss chocolate cake/ice cream/double cheeseburgers with extra lard and mayo?" Well, not until you said THAT! (except the double cheeseburger...I hate cheeseburgers and always have) But I'd rather experience a full, active life than repeat the feel of biting into a chocolate cake. I KNOW what that's like...I want new experiences!

And that's why you're the Moxiecowgirl!! Love your attitude!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Just today, I was at the fracture clinic having my leg checked. When I had surgery on it last August I was 75 pounds heavier:

Nurse: How much have you lost now?
    Me: 75 pounds, but I don't think I look like I've lost that much.
    Nurse: Well, now your backside fits on that chair, instead of needing one and a half chairs, like it did before!

Errmmm....thanks?!! :huh: :laugh:
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    "WOW! Are you like 1/2 the size you were before?!" (No! I have lost 13.6% of my heaviest weight to be exact! And I still have 55 lbs left to go.)
    "Don't get too crazy. Don't lose too much." (Like it is that easy! LOL!)
    "Oh, running? That's really bad for your knees."
    "You shouldn't be running until you lose weight. You should just walk." (Yes! Someone actually said that to me!!!)
    "Your pants are too big. You should buy new pants."

There are some really nice compliments too. I feel good about myself either way, but it does make me shake my head to hear the things some people say! LOL! :-)
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    That I don't need to lose anymore...ah who asked you your opinion????
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    "Why do you think you need a diet, you aren't that fat" FROM MY MOM O_O REALLY?! Jeez woman, you're lucky I already got your mothers day present.
  • vidasana87
    vidasana87 Posts: 75
    Options
    This: *eye roll*

Thats what I normally get!

Betches ;)
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    "What is your secret?" And when you tell them "I eat less and workout more." They reply, "Well that sounds pretty easy!" (Yeah...I am saying that as I am running a 5k or on the elliptical for an hour or swimming a mile...easy peasy!)

"You're getting so small!" (Even when I was at 205 as a senior in HS I was NEVER small. I will NEVER be small. I'm just aiming for fit)

"Running probably isn't good for you or your knees." (Granted I have to ice my knees after every run...it still beats having to ice them after walking up a couple of flights of stairs and being in pain all the time.)
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I hate getting "You've changed" "you're not as sweet as you used to be" (got it just the other day, from someone I havent seen in two years based off a facebook picture!!) I get it a lot-- I dont take as much crap as I used to from people and I actually have a little bit of confidence and LIKE to look at myself in the mirror sometimes. So I often get this from people and I want to say, "Of course I have changed!!!!!" But I just keep my mouth shut... When I stick up for myself, thats when they will REALLY say I have changed!!! :wink:
  • vidasana87
    vidasana87 Posts: 75
    Options
    @erhower Your transformation is amazing. Just looked at your photos. I love that it has given you the confidence that you're exuding. Awesome!
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    "You're disappearing into nothing"

Very annoying for me since,I put on 40 pounds when I was pregnant and I was 120 before that.Not only is it impossible to "disappear into nothing" but I am doing this the healthy way and the weight is coming off slowly.

My personal favourite.

"You like working out?What's wrong with you?"

A LOT apparently.LOL.People are strange.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Are you on crack? Last winter you were bigger than me, now half of you is missing!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Are you on crack? Last winter you were bigger than me, now half of you is missing!

This is what I'm thinking people are thinking about me now.
  • elledeery
    elledeery Posts: 866
    Options
    "Try not to lose your tits, you don't want fly bites where they used to be"
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My favorite is "Wow, we can really see it in your face!"

Thanks.

Apparently I had a manhole cover for a head, but no one told me.

I've decided to grow and keep a short full beard until I hit my goal weight, just so I can avoid any more "your neck is TINY" comments. Not that it bothers me, but.. just wait till I'm done here before you tell me how big I was =P
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My favorite is "Wow, we can really see it in your face!"

Thanks.

Apparently I had a manhole cover for a head, but no one told me.

I LOLed.You're one funny guy :)
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Or on the other side of the table.
    Stepmother: Laughs just waiting for me to fail. Grrr. I've lost 14kg (30Lbs) my husband has lost almost the same. She comments to him how great he looks and congratulations, very nice. To me she said nothing nada! But today she phoned me asking dieting advice as she weighs 230lbs. hmmm.
  • gingersnapx00
    Options
    "Where did your boobs go?!!!! You have nothing to put in your bikini now!":sad:
  • gothikgrrl
    gothikgrrl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    "WOW! Are you like 1/2 the size you were before?!" (No! I have lost 13.6% of my heaviest weight to be exact! And I still have 55 lbs left to go.)
    "Don't get too crazy. Don't lose too much." (Like it is that easy! LOL!)
    "Oh, running? That's really bad for your knees."
    "You shouldn't be running until you lose weight. You should just walk." (Yes! Someone actually said that to me!!!)
    "Your pants are too big. You should buy new pants."

There are some really nice compliments too. I feel good about myself either way, but it does make me shake my head to hear the things some people say! LOL! :-)

Love the pants one. My kid said this to me just yesterday. It has taken me FOREVER to start losing weight and having bigger pants is kind of the point. So that one made me laugh. I'm not running out and buying pants everytime I lose a little weight. Now when I lose a LOT of weight.....I'm putting myself in debt.

My favorite one is all my well meaning friends that tell me I shouldn't worry because someday I'll meet a man who doesn't care what I look like. O.k., dating again is important to me, but that isn't the only reason a woman would want to lose weight. Not dying young is also kind of cool.
  • skinnygrlerica
    skinnygrlerica Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My mom, who has ALWAYS been overweight and really knows NOTHING about calories or eating healthy told me the other day...

"You shouldn't start lifting weights. Muscles weigh more than fat anyway and you'll NEVER lose weight by gaining muscle weight."

HUH??

Then she said, "Plus (Insert My Boyfriend's name) won't like it if you're stronger and MORE MANLY than he is..."

WHA??

I LAUGHED AT HER... First of all, I've got a good 80 lbs left until I'm at my goal... and SECOND... my boyfriend is 6'2" which towers over me at 5'7"... unless I become a body builder I highly doubt I'll EVER be stronger OR "more manly" than he is.

Gotta love moms, right?? It is almost Mother's Day, afterall...
  • debbnewlife
    Options
    Hi Guys, I'm new and you're so funny and supportive! Glad I joined.:laugh: