The crazy things people say when you are losing weight...

Options

Replies

• EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    @erhower Your transformation is amazing. Just looked at your photos. I love that it has given you the confidence that you're exuding. Awesome!

Thank you!! :flowerforyou:
  • debbnewlife
    Options
    I'm actually new to posting here... On a 1800 daily caloric count and its working. Sometimes I have to make myself log...
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    My MIL pesters me about my weight and what my "secret" is every time she sees me.

As if by asking me over and over I'll finally change the same answer from "diet and exercise" to something she might be willing to try. Like HcG, or meth.
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    "What is your secret?" And when you tell them "I eat less and workout more." They reply, "Well that sounds pretty easy!"

Really? I get an eye roll, and a "Like what, no red meat? (Or any other food restrictive diet plan, such as Atkins with the no red meat, or GFree, or specialty diets/plans like Weight Watchers or green tea extract, etc)" and I reply no... I've lost fifty pounds while consuming a lot of nachos and beer for someone who's supposed to be dieting... I just eat LESS, and workout MORE. Then they get super snarky and pissed off that the answer is that simple and I've lost weight doing "nothing"(no pills or supplements other than a multivitamin). They almost ... Hate me, for not trying them. It's weird. I wish I got the "make it sound so easy!" Hahaha
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So far a couple other women who started losing weight when I did are WAY behind me, but yet they say nothing about my weight loss. They just complain about what aspects are hard for them, eating out, eating with the fam, etc. When I offer viable solutions they are shot down. It's clearly commiserate time and NOT brainstorming time. So I do not say my number and they don't ask. They just vaguely ask "how's it going for you" and I vaguely answer "as expected". I love it. Don't ask, don't tell weight loss buddies.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My MIL pesters me about my weight and what my "secret" is every time she sees me.

As if by asking me over and over I'll finally change the same answer from "diet and exercise" to something she might be willing to try. Like HcG, or meth.

Hey, meth works. You lose a ton of weight, your teeth, your dignity, your self respect, and your health! but you look skinny!!
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    "Just don't get to muscular, or lose your tits or your *kitten*"
    Um, ok Ahole, I'm not banging you, what's it matter?! :grumble:
  • mlbqueen
    mlbqueen Posts: 12
    Options
    People who make excuses for not exercising: my sister in law (up and down with her weight ever since I met her 14 years ago) yoga is bad for you wrists!
    My mom ( over weight all her life) I can't drink water it makes me sick. Or I can't do "that" (pick anything) it makes me hurt.
  • catmanor
    catmanor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    wow.. after reading all these posts I am kinda a little sad I don't get snarky comments.. lol.. I feel left out!! :bigsmile:

Lucky for me I have supportive family and friends..
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    "You are so skinny for your height"
    "Don't lose anymore!'
    "You are totally anorexic" (that statement is pretty much redundant when you eat a f/load of protein!'

you CERTAINLY lose a lot of friends when you become hotter but the underlying factor is why we do it? We want that confidence and healthy lifestyle!

I have lost a few friends and F them I say! they are just jealous/threatened. We need negative people like this, it stimulates/motivates us to work harder and keeps us on our toes ;)

Good on you girls! keep going and add me I am new to here ;)
    I joined as this is combining (one of) two of my favourite things! Forums and Fitness!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    "I think you are being overly critical of yourself. Maybe you should look into counseling instead of dieting."

That was from a friend during a conversation about weight loss. I never said a negative word about myself but apparently my desire to be healthy and at a healthy weight is "bad".
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I cant say I've had any problems, but:

I think yall just gotta accept that people are d!cks.

big, stinky, uneducated, jealous d!cks.

:P
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I hate the typical "How'd you do it? My ____ did it by ____! Why don't you do that?"
    Because I don't feel like cutting out everything I like, this works for me, go away.

Or, every time I have dinner with my mom
    "I MADE YOU A PLATE OF LETTUCE SO WE CAN ALL EAT TOGETHER"
    .__. you made me a plate of lettuce? wow. you're so kind.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    "Be careful not to lift too heavy weights, I don't want you to turn into a man." (Lol.. I'm so serious, I actually laughed at her.)

"Will you stop losing weight already!?"

"If you turn to the side I'd be like, where'd you go?" (got this one today, don't get it because I have a lot more to lose..)

coworker: "How'd you do it?"
    Me: "I ate better and exercised..."
    coworker: "Ohh I just don't have time for that."

I hate comments like, "Wow it's like you lost an entire person!"

I know it's supposed to be a compliment but it almost feels backhanded, even if it isn't meant that way.. :P
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Or on the other side of the table.
    Stepmother: Laughs just waiting for me to fail. Grrr. I've lost 14kg (30Lbs) my husband has lost almost the same. She comments to him how great he looks and congratulations, very nice. To me she said nothing nada! But today she phoned me asking dieting advice as she weighs 230lbs. hmmm.

We must have the same mother-in-law. Actually none of my in-laws comment on my weight loss, they don't care, but the ladies at work are supportive (to my face anyway) so I guess that makes up for it.
  • LBinSF
    LBinSF Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Some of these things people have said are hilarious!
    (To the main poster of this topic - I know a woman who did the bariatric surgery to good effect. But it doesn't sound like you'll need it because you're motivated & found MFP).
  • Log_n_Jog
    Log_n_Jog Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've received a lot of nice compliments about my weight loss, but there is something about running that seems to irritate some people. Here are some of the stupid comments I've heard:

"Did you hear about that guy who died running a 5K/10K/half marathon (or whatever race I will be running next)?" This usually leads to other examples of people who have died while running. What about the millions of people who run and DON'T die??

"Every time I see someone running they have this look on their face like they're in pain or mad or miserable. They never look like they're having fun." All I ever see is determination.

"Aren't you worried about what all that jarring will do to your body?" No, but I do remember how my feet, knees, and hips felt at my heaviest weight. I have to run A LOT of miles for my legs to feel that way again.
  • gigi_RN2013
    gigi_RN2013 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    my son asked me "mom, why do you work out so much? you're not fat. you're just chubby."
    ooooh! i almost grounded him :laugh:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    he didnt mean it to be mean, but my dad told my mom... "karens face is actually really pretty without all the fat on it... " whaaaaaaaaaaaa??? lol
  • Clovergirl143
    Clovergirl143 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This one older lady I'm friends with and I were discussing my boyfriend...And how both of us are trying to lose weight and get healthier together. She said, and I quote:

"You'll be so pretty when you lose the weight...I mean you're pretty now, but when you lose the weight, he's going to have to work to keep you!"

Ummm...thanks? :huh:

Then there is the whole slew of people asking me 'Well what are you doing to lose weight?', and when I tell them I'm eating less and exercising more, 'Oh well isn't that hard? I want something that's easy/fits my lifestyle/doesn't starve me to death etc'. :noway:

On the plus side, my family is super supportive of me, as is my boyfriend who is also trying to lose weight. I can already see a difference in my body since I started almost 6 weeks ago. All I have to say is, Screw the haters, because this time I'm gonna be a hottie :wink: :love: :blushing: :bigsmile: