The crazy things people say when you are losing weight...

Options

Replies

• mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    my use to be "friend" told me in the face i am not allowed to lose weight because then i look better then her, she is really skinny and she was serious about it. Needless to say we dont talk anymore now that i lose some
  • Pasukaru2
    Pasukaru2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This week a coworker that saw me after her one month vacation

Coworker : WOW you're really melting!
    Me : Thanks
    Coworker : But really, don't overdo it YOU KNOWWW *staring at me*
    Me : Don't worry I don't intend on being anorexic. I just aim my healthy weight and once done, I plan on maintaining it!

I know she didn't mean to be harsh and that's what made it funny for me :tongue:
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time: "you don't look like you anymore" meh

^^and it is said in a critical way with an air of disappointment.

Also, I hate the question: "How have you lost so much weight?"
    And when you reply, "I just don't eat as much"
    They seem unconvinced with your answer. Like they expected you to reply that you started mixing the juice of a goji berry together with two hairs of a unicorn into a magic potion which you rubbed into your belly each morning.

It actually feels like they don't believe your simple answer "I just don't eat as much" even though it is 100% the truth.
  • slender20
    slender20 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    he didnt mean it to be mean, but my dad told my mom... "karens face is actually really pretty without all the fat on it... " whaaaaaaaaaaaa??? lol

I have to say you look amazing! Your transformation is so inspiring, you look fantastic and like a new person!
  • slender20
    slender20 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    my use to be "friend" told me in the face i am not allowed to lose weight because then i look better then her, she is really skinny and she was serious about it. Needless to say we dont talk anymore now that i lose some

What a shallow "friend", you're better off without her.
  • Mrsmorman
    Mrsmorman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My MIL pesters me about my weight and what my "secret" is every time she sees me.

As if by asking me over and over I'll finally change the same answer from "diet and exercise" to something she might be willing to try. Like HcG, or meth.

You should change your answer next time just to see her response. Haha
  • Mrsmorman
    Options
    So far a couple other women who started losing weight when I did are WAY behind me, but yet they say nothing about my weight loss. They just complain about what aspects are hard for them, eating out, eating with the fam, etc. When I offer viable solutions they are shot down. It's clearly commiserate time and NOT brainstorming time. So I do not say my number and they don't ask. They just vaguely ask "how's it going for you" and I vaguely answer "as expected". I love it. Don't ask, don't tell weight loss buddies.

I love it, sounds like you've got it under control with these JEALOUS women.
  • Mrsmorman
    Options
    So far a couple other women who started losing weight when I did are WAY behind me, but yet they say nothing about my weight loss. They just complain about what aspects are hard for them, eating out, eating with the fam, etc. When I offer viable solutions they are shot down. It's clearly commiserate time and NOT brainstorming time. So I do not say my number and they don't ask. They just vaguely ask "how's it going for you" and I vaguely answer "as expected". I love it. Don't ask, don't tell weight loss buddies.

I love it too, sounds like you've got it under control with these JEALOUS women.
  • OneSuzieQ
    OneSuzieQ Posts: 2
    Options

Someone in my office always says "ARE YA SICK" ??? Goodness.
  • OneSuzieQ
    OneSuzieQ Posts: 2
    Options
    Funny - heard the same thing
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    "What pills are you taking"? umm why I got to be taking pills lol
    "girl you need to stop losing weigh you getting smallt" umm I only lost 5lbs and im overweight.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    he didnt mean it to be mean, but my dad told my mom... "karens face is actually really pretty without all the fat on it... " whaaaaaaaaaaaa??? lol

I have to say you look amazing! Your transformation is so inspiring, you look fantastic and like a new person!

aw thanks i really appreciate that!
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The Brits on this thread will appreciate ... when someone is trying to be tactful and polite they don't mention anything other than the positive for fear of offense "oh my, you've lost SO much weight"

Just to wind them up I always respond with "what the hell are you saying? I was FAT?!?!?". Lost for words, everytime!
  • melaniemart89
    melaniemart89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My MIL pesters me about my weight and what my "secret" is every time she sees me.

As if by asking me over and over I'll finally change the same answer from "diet and exercise" to something she might be willing to try. Like HcG, or meth.

HILLARIOUS! (Gotta love those MILs)
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    My mom, who has ALWAYS been overweight and really knows NOTHING about calories or eating healthy told me the other day...

"You shouldn't start lifting weights. Muscles weigh more than fat anyway and you'll NEVER lose weight by gaining muscle weight."

HUH??

Then she said, "Plus (Insert My Boyfriend's name) won't like it if you're stronger and MORE MANLY than he is..."

WHA??

I LAUGHED AT HER... First of all, I've got a good 80 lbs left until I'm at my goal... and SECOND... my boyfriend is 6'2" which towers over me at 5'7"... unless I become a body builder I highly doubt I'll EVER be stronger OR "more manly" than he is.

Gotta love moms, right?? It is almost Mother's Day, afterall...

Happy Mother's Day to your Mom :laugh:
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    I hate getting "You've changed" "you're not as sweet as you used to be" (got it just the other day, from someone I havent seen in two years based off a facebook picture!!) I get it a lot-- I dont take as much crap as I used to from people and I actually have a little bit of confidence and LIKE to look at myself in the mirror sometimes. So I often get this from people and I want to say, "Of course I have changed!!!!!" But I just keep my mouth shut... When I stick up for myself, thats when they will REALLY say I have changed!!! :wink:

I love this! It's an amazing and freeing feeling to realize that if you're going to have self respect, some people are going to think you're a total b**** when you stick up for yourself and refuse to let them walk all over you.
    :flowerforyou:
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    "oh i can see how that diet would work for someone with, like, health issues or whatever, but i think my diet is fine"

... just wait, it'll catch up with you!
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options

"something she might be willing to try. Like HcG, or meth" just made me spit from laughing.
    oooh, MILs.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The Brits on this thread will appreciate ... when someone is trying to be tactful and polite they don't mention anything other than the positive for fear of offense "oh my, you've lost SO much weight"

Just to wind them up I always respond with "what the hell are you saying? I was FAT?!?!?". Lost for words, everytime!

YES! I have done this to a couple of people! (I live in Scotland) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kariplease
    kariplease Posts: 43
    Options
    I was explaining to my boyfriend how I found out that a 'medium sweet potato does is not 103 calories' like MFP suggested because I weighed it and it was 300 gm and more like almost 400 calories and he goes "omg you're becoming one of those people with a scale.' How did he expect me to be counting calories?

One of my co workers " You're STILL on a diet?" ... wtf?

My other co worker as I was eating my sweet potato for lunch, " Are you on a potato diet?"

People don't get it. LOL