How to go from skinny-fat to muscle?

Options
I'm 5'6", 142 lbs, and 34% fat. That is an INSANE number for a girl my size, but I'm inclined to believe it, since the Bod Pod is supposed to run a very close second to water immersion (for accuracy). I've always been that freakishly strong chick, so that number shocked me. But when I think about it, I essentially had two years of inactivity due to a "high-risk" pregnancy (that turned out just fine) followed by a back injury in a vehicle accident (a semi decided to forcibly relocate my little Mazda 3). So I guess I lost a lot of muscle during that time, and some more during the past few months of focusing on cardio & a calorie deficit for weight loss. Last week I switched my calorie goals on MFP to maintenance -- and those numbers are based on a sedentary lifestyle, since I'm chained to a desk all day at work, so I log my exercise and usually eat all or most of my exercise calories back. I was afraid of the weight shooting back up, but this first week has gone by with no gain...so far, so good.
My question is this--if I am 34% fat at 142 lbs, it seems to me that just toning the muscle I have isn't going to be enough; I need to increase my muscle mass quite a bit. And as I understand it, that's not easy, and even harder for women. What do I need to do? I have 5 and 10-lb hand weights and an 8-lb kettlebell at home. I've got an appointment with a trainer at the gym to set up a plan for me, but I don't know enough about it to be able to evaluate what he tells me--plus I really need to be able to work out at home, since between more-than-full-time work and single parenthood, I frequently can't get to the gym more than 1-2 times a week. I need to be able to cram in mini-workouts around my work and my daughter. As far as nutrition goes, I know protein is key--my MFP goal is 73g/day, and I'm usually there or over. Is that number realistic for building muscle like I need to? What else do I need to be thinking about? Please help! Thanks.

Replies

• RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would recommend using one of Jamie Eason's programs on bodybuilding.com either her live fit or burning the fat program. Based on what you've said I would really recommend the live fit program. It's 3 phases, phase 1 is only strength training (she lays out a schedule and what exercises to do so it's very easy to follow) phase 2 and 3 slowly add in more cardio and help burn fat and build muscle.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Your post is a bit confusing. You talk about your body fat being too high but then you talk about building muscle. If you want to put on muscle, you have to eat a caloric excess which will put on some amount of fat along with muscle. I guess the question is, do you want to reduce your body fat or increase muscle? If it's the latter, I'd start out at about 250 calories over maintenance and a bare minimum of 100g of protein. I'd say 125-150 on the higher end.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    It's the percentage I want to change. I've lost fat already, and while I have more to lose, I think I've already lost way too much muscle. So I want to GAIN muscle, thereby reducing my body fat percentage (the ratio, not the quantity). Once I've gained more muscle, I can look at cutting fat while maintaining muscle -- but right now I want to gain muscle.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I feel the same as u. 5'5 130.4lbs, 30% BF according the calipers. I feel so fat. I think you just lift weights, least that's what I'm doing trying to lower mine. I've lost inches, so it much be working.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    I would recommend using one of Jamie Eason's programs on bodybuilding.com either her live fit or burning the fat program. Based on what you've said I would really recommend the live fit program. It's 3 phases, phase 1 is only strength training (she lays out a schedule and what exercises to do so it's very easy to follow) phase 2 and 3 slowly add in more cardio and help burn fat and build muscle.

This sounds like a great idea, and it's already laid out. Don't listen to the bodybuilding dichotomy of bulk versus cut. Try and see what works for you.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Ladies have unique needs that I couldn't address given that what works for me may not be the best program for a female seeking peak fitness.
    For cardio, do what you enjoy and what produces results.
    As for the specifics of your resistance program, just see what has worked for others in your position who have achieved what you seek.
    Here are some sites to give you ideas.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/at-home-workouts-0
    http://www.stumptuous.com/
    http://www.weightliftingforwomen.net/
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/

I know what works for me, and the main item that spells success is just the doing of something that targets every muscle group in the body.

It's work.
    The planning and the doing is just work, and you need to go to those sites and educate yourself without relying too much on the advice on others who may not know too much.
    Learn from the experts, then decide what your goals are and move from there.

All Is Possible!
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    Thanks! Most the stuff I found on my own was for women wanting to tone the muscle they already have; I took a look at the program you suggested and it sounds like the kind of workout tips I'm looking for.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You will struggle to build any significant strength or muscle with the light weights you have at home.

If you can get to the gym twice per week then I would do 2 full body routines at the gym then some conditioning circuits at home.

Personally I would say that 34% bodyfat is too high to be looking to build lean mass, I would lift heavy for a few months and get that figure down first.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Hold on. Hit enter way too soon.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    You have a few options.

1. Lose fat first while keeping as much muscle as possible.

This is done by eating at a small calorie deficit, eating at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, and by lifting heavy weights. (And those completely new to lifting might gain a little bit of muscle even while in a deficit).

2. Gain muscle, and a little bit more fat.

This is done by eating at surplus, 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, and lifting heavy weights.

3. Try to lose a little bit of fat, gain a little bit of muscle all at once.

This is done by eating right at your TDEE, same amount of protein, heavy weights.

I'd suggest StrongLifts 5x5 for 8-12 weeks and then maybe you can look into something else. It's really a gym program. If you cant' join a gym there are some good body weight programs out there that'd be better than little dumbbells at home.

I did option 2, followed by 3, and am now trying for 1. I have pictures in my profile.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    You have a few options.

This is done by eating at a small calorie deficit, eating at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, and by lifting heavy weights.

This is done by eating at surplus, 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, and lifting heavy weights.

This is done by eating right at your TDEE, same amount of protein, heavy weights.

I'd suggest StrongLifts 5x5 for 8-12 weeks and then maybe you can look into something else. It's really a gym program. If you cant' join a gym there are some good body weight programs out there that'd be better than little dumbbells at home.

I did option 2, followed by 3, and am now trying for 1. I have pictures in my profile.

i came in to attempt an answer...this is woot!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You have a few options.

This is done by eating at a small calorie deficit, eating at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, and by lifting heavy weights.

Rae do know her stuff!
  • Cyndist1
    Cyndist1 Posts: 21
    Options
    Bumping for later reading! Thanks
  • Kellybeswitherick
    Options
    Great question... not that I have an answer - but only have the same question!

7 months ago I got hit with a bizarre illness and ended up bedridden for 2 months, and then mostly bedridden for another 2 months. I have definitely lost muscle mass. I am under the care of a naturopath and am on a restricted paleo diet. Basically all I can eat is meat, some fish, cooked vegetables (has to be cooked for my digestive system) and occasionals pears or apples. I also do rice protein shakes (but they can only have water, psyllium fibre, protein powder and a small amount of chia seeds) - tastes awful.

I am 5"7 and now weigh 141lbs. No idea what my body fat % is. I imagine it's still quite high. Even though I've now lost 29lbs since this illness started, I still have excess fat (mostly on my upper thighs) and my leg muscles get very weak very quickly. (I used to have good lower body strength) Now, I feel exhausted going up one flight of stairs in my townhouse.

My complex has great amenities with a cardio gym, weight gym and an outdoor pool. I swim laps a couple days/week, but again, feel exhausted. Now I'm adding in the stationary bikes to see if that can help rebuild my leg muscles. And within the next few weeks, I want to add some leg lifts at the weight gym. So that's my little plan, but I don't know if it will be enough to really build that muscle back.
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    You have a few options.

This is done by eating at a small calorie deficit, eating at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, and by lifting heavy weights. (And those completely new to lifting might gain a little bit of muscle even while in a deficit).

Thanks. I did 1 without thinking about conserving muscle -- too late to do anything about that now, but since my muscle is already so low, I want to learn how to do 2, then go back to 1 or 3. Seems stupid at this point to risk losing MORE muscle, since I don't think I can afford it at my size...not to mention my body could be operating so much more efficiently & effectively.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You have a few options.

Rae do know her stuff!

^^this and Hendrix7's post.
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    Question for Rae (or anyone else who knows) -- to calculate lean body mass (so I know how much protein to shoot for), is that considered muscle only, or everything that's not fat, or something in-between? I've seen estimates for bones, internal organs, etc., but the only number I have semi-hard data on is the fat. So if it's as easy as 34% fat = 66% lean, then I can assume I'm shooting for 94g of protein a day. If there's more to it, though, can you point me in the direction of some tools to help me figure out my lean mass?
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Question for Rae (or anyone else who knows) -- to calculate lean body mass (so I know how much protein to shoot for), is that considered muscle only, or everything that's not fat, or something in-between? I've seen estimates for bones, internal organs, etc., but the only number I have semi-hard data on is the fat. So if it's as easy as 34% fat = 66% lean, then I can assume I'm shooting for 94g of protein a day. If there's more to it, though, can you point me in the direction of some tools to help me figure out my lean mass?

Everything that's not fat. So yeah, the 94 would be good, maybe a little more.

However, I find it hard to believe that someone your height only has 94lbs of lean mass. I've seen Body Pod come in too high for someone in the past.

Have you been to this website and compared yourself to the examples?

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • nessaryan
    nessaryan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Everything that's not fat. So yeah, the 94 would be good, maybe a little more.

However, I find it hard to believe that someone your height only has 94lbs of lean mass. I've seen Body Pod come in too high for someone in the past.

Have you been to this website and compared yourself to the examples?

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

Agree with Rae. There is fairly detailed info on Weightology.com on each of the testing methods. Kreiger's take is that BodPod is great for group trend but can have a large margin of error for individuals. I got a reading very high compared to calipers and bio impedence.