Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

And begin the hate... Beer is good!

Before we start, I feel I should mention some things. I do not suggest non-drinkers start drinking, or that those recovering from problems should begin again. I am merely saying, for those of us who enjoy a couple occasionally, that they are not as bad as people would have you believe, providing it fits in your caloric goal and/or macro goals.
Beer provides many of the same benefits as wine when consumed in moderation, which is defined as 1-2 a day for men, 1 a day for women. These benefits include, but are not limited to, better heart health, better cognitive function, and it reduces the risk of Diabetes or strokes.
Keep in mind, this 1-2/day (1 for females) is the maximum suggested to maintain the health benefits, not the minimum. So, those wanting to enjoy a beer, but are worried about their overall health, relax, crack open a cold one, and enjoy!!
http://www.forbes.com/2008/03/14/beer-drink-health-forbeslife-cx_avd_0317health_slide_6.html?thisSpeed=undefined
http://www.everydayhealth.com/healthy-living/0315/tap-into-beers-health-benefits.aspx

Replies

• Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    nothing better than an ice cold beer on a hot day - even more of a reason to enjoy one!
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Did u just suggest alcoholics should start drinking again?
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Did u just suggest alcoholics should start drinking again?

Pretty sure he specifically pointed out that he was NOT suggesting that...
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Cheers :wink:
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    ahh nm, misread.
  • Athena413
    Before we start, I feel I should mention some things. I do not suggest non-drinkers start drinking, or that those recovering from problems should begin again. I am merely saying, for those of us who enjoy a couple occasionally, that they are not as bad as people would have you believe, providing it fits in your caloric goal and/or macro goals.
    Beer provides many of the same benefits as wine when consumed in moderation, which is defined as 1-2 a day for men, 1 a day for women. These benefits include, but are not limited to, better heart health, better cognitive function, and it reduces the risk of Diabetes or strokes.
    Keep in mind, this 1-2/day (1 for females) is the maximum suggested to maintain the health benefits, not the minimum. So, those wanting to enjoy a beer, but are worried about their overall health, relax, crack open a cold one, and enjoy!!
    http://www.forbes.com/2008/03/14/beer-drink-health-forbeslife-cx_avd_0317health_slide_6.html?thisSpeed=undefined
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/healthy-living/0315/tap-into-beers-health-benefits.aspx

You and my husband would get along well! You should look him up on here... nrdoty
  • Callalili
    Callalili Posts: 119 Member
    Beer is good
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Only if it's Shiner Bock....!!!
  • Athena413
    ahh nm, misread.

Have more than your allotted beers for the day already? :wink:

Just kidding! :drinker:
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Thanks for sharing the health benefits..all the more reason to crack open a cold one..especially on a hot day! :wink:
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 968 Member
    Mmm beer I love it.
    Just had a nice ice cold can of Carling x
  • localatte
    localatte Posts: 78 Member
    Yum. So drinking Fat Tire, will not contribute to my own fat tire.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,164 Member
    Never liked "beer", but I do love Lambic....a Belgian fruit ale. Its the only thing in the ale line I like. Dont drink it right now....but one day when I hit my goal, I will use one to toast my victory!
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    one of my friends (on Facebook, not here) was gloating that a pint of Guinness had fewer calories than a pint of skim milk.

i enjoy a good stout. harder to fit those in the calorie/macros, but worth it :)
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Yes beer is good! I will partaking in a pint of Devil's Blood Black Lager later today. MMMMMMMM good.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Budwieser Select 55!
  • Love it! But it gives me the hiccups. So I stick to wine usually.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Budwieser Select 55.
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Heh, I drink Mich Ultra for the most part (cheap, tasty, low cal), but if I have the opportunity I enjoy Fat Tire and Yuengling. Also Shiner and Longboard.
    What prompted this topic was actually a "spirited discussion" I got in with someone about health earlier this evening, while I was drinking a beer.
  • Athena413
    Budwieser Select 55!

Some studies show that light beer is actually worse...if often has a lower alcohol content, so to get the same affect you have to drink more of it, thus the lower calories are negated by drinking more bottles.

Now if that's just your preference - go for it! But I think the people who drink light beer because they think it's "better for you" calorie wise...are just kind of silly in their thinking sometimes.

Edit: Just remembered that Select 55 is not one of the 55 calorie beers...nor a light beer...just kidding!