What's your favourite newly discovered food?

Options
bunnysone
bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
Mine's quinoa, not very highly reconised in Australia yet but I have FINALLY found organic versions of white, black and red quinoa!

I replace it for rice, use it in salads and am currently experimenting with a sweet version with fruit :)

It's a fantastic source of protein, all 8 essential amino acids, fibre, is gluten free for those with wheat intolerances and fills me up :)

Replies

• CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    love Quinao - but my new favorite "food" is Kefir. I make Kefir smoothies at least once a day!
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Love Crunch organic granola: http://www.naturespath.com/products/premium granola?tid=All&brand=All&nutri=All

it's awesome when i have lots of calories left over at the end of the day.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas! I have some soaking on the stove tonight and a couple recipes to try tomorrow so I can make them myself...going to try curry and chipotle, yum!
  • gracie2586
    gracie2586 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I really like coconut water i always take some when i go on a long bike ride as i hear its full of electrolytes
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Carrot chips and peanut butter.

Winning =)
  • BrendaJaneK
    Options
    Love quinoa!!

I just discovered cocoa nibs! (sometimes called caoca nibs) They are from the unsweetened, unprocessed cocoa bean. Tastes like unsweetened dark chocolate (my fav). They are a superfood and are crazy good for you as an antioxidant to clean your blood and arteries and is a natural mood elevator/antidepressant.

You can use them in anything!

I snack on them with dried currants and unsweetened coconut when I need a sweet fix.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Brookside 100-calorie Dark Chocolate Acai Blueberry and Dark Chocolate Pomegranate packs.

/drool
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Kale! Kale chips and kale salad with avocado and lemon juice and garlic salt. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :drinker:
  • travellernikki
    travellernikki Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Pistachios!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I really like coconut water i always take some when i go on a long bike ride as i hear its full of electrolytes

coconut water is my secret weapon to day-before hydration when I run a half marathon ;)
  • stina0t2
    stina0t2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Rediscovering a love for sauerkraut.
  • mumb3th
    mumb3th Posts: 36
    Options
    Special K Chips!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, and Naked Green Machine smoothie. (Not together.....although. ,hmmmmm)
  • rdonald57
    rdonald57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Home made spicy Pickled Eggs, I have a jar in the Fridge now with 3 left, i have 1 or 2 a day.
  • camelid2
    camelid2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Refrigerator oatmeal mixed with fruit and protein powder. Super fast, easy, and cheap! I too am on a quinoa kick-there are some great recipes for baked quinoa puddings as a dessert!
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I haven't really discovered new foods, but I've rediscovered some old favorites like quinoa, jicama, black beans (they are so versatile!), snow peas/green peppers with low fat ranch, oat flour instead of wheat, oranges, graham cracker/frozen low fat whipped topping sandwiches, chocolate soy milk... I couldn't eat a lot of these things before because my stomach was torn to pieces with processed food and I would wake up in the middle of the night with severe stomach pain. Now, my stomach is back to showroom new, so I can re-experience these wonderful things. I think I'm going to try flax seed again soon. Last time I ate that, I was literally convinced I had stomach cancer because it hurt so bad.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Goat cheese. I always avoided it because well... it sounded gross (no offense to goats - ha!), but it is super delicious in spinach and strawberry salad.
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Edamame Hummus
  • TIMCOTE80
    TIMCOTE80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    baked sweet potato fries!!
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    refrigerator oatmeal with cinnamon and touch of brown sugar and blueberries