Chocolate cravings attack EVERY night, without fail... tips?

Options
I've tried everything. Keeping it out of the house makes me gorge myself three days later while I'm out somewhere, or keeps me up all night thinking about it in a bad mood, and having it in the house makes it too easy to eat too much of it. Does anyone have any solid tips for late-night chocolate cravings that aren't just willpower? I've been able to do that with a lot of other bad eating/sleep/exercise habits, but this one is my achilles heel, and I need a little more advice!

Replies

• Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    How about the sugar free Hersheys mini candy bars? They are 30 calories each. I got them at Walgreens and WalMart.

http://www.hersheys.com/pure-products/hersheys-sugar-free-candies/assortment.aspx
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Really dark chocolate? I can nibble about 50g over the course of a day if I'm really in a chocolate mood, but generally I find that 10-30g is enough to satisfy cravings. Plus, you know, dark chocolate is the new red wine. You get to feel smug and superior while nomming!
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    Really dark chocolate? I can nibble about 50g over the course of a day if I'm really in a chocolate mood, but generally I find that 10-30g is enough to satisfy cravings. Plus, you know, dark chocolate is the new red wine. You get to feel smug and superior while nomming!
    I agree with this! Eating dark chocolate satisfies my cravings!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If you know you are going to crave it, plan for it and pre-add it to your food diary. An easy way to avoid eating too much is to stick to single serving sized things.
  • Sourpusscandy
    Options
    get ya some magnesium citrate start w/200 mg, gradually up to 800 mg, in the evening before bed. will help with sleep, insulin, regularity and cravings.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I crave sweets after dinner-i always have. Rather than not let myself have any and be unhappy (and end up bingeing), i've found great lower cal, healthier replacements. These almost always leave me satisfied enough so that i dont binge.

Skinny Cow Heavenly Crisp in peanutbutter chocolate-110 cals, and doesnt taste like diet at all

So Delicious coconut milk ice cream in cookies and cream ice cream - 140 cals 1/2 cup- sweet, creamy and satisfying

Trader Joes mint mini mouthfuls-mint ice cream between two oreo-like sandwich cookies, 60 cals each. Two do the trick

And so on. Weight Watchers and Skinny Cow make good lowcal fudgesicles. Dont deny uourself, just find better options and work them in :)
  • callingoctober
    callingoctober Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    These are great you guys/gals! Keep em coming :)
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I used to go through bags of chocolate in a matter of days.

Then I discovered willpower.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    hi

I don't know what country you are from but I buy a large bar of galaxy, each piece is 23 cals and I have a strip of 5 most nights..115 cals and I plan for it.

I gave up smoking and used that as an excuse to eat lots of choc so I know its my weakness but knowing I am having a bit at night controls the cravings.

martyxx
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    i buy a 3 muskateer candy bar & cut it into 3 pieces.. i have one piece when i want it... its like 70 cals.........

but stop with one... portion control is key! <3
  • thetrapezeswinger
    Options
    Can't go wrong with a little bit of dark chocolate. A little goes a long way and it'll take care of the cravings. (:
  • alovesopure
    alovesopure Posts: 610
    Options
    How about the sugar free Hersheys mini candy bars? They are 30 calories each. I got them at Walgreens and WalMart.

http://www.hersheys.com/pure-products/hersheys-sugar-free-candies/assortment.aspx

Yeah I buy these too. Nice to have every now and then :D
  • evalt1
    evalt1 Posts: 9
    Options
    Eat more fruit during the day. And your cravings for candy will go away :)
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I've found 85% cocoa is the strength I can't binge on! Milk chocolate will be gone within minutes, but 85% lasts weeks. I've also noticed that the chocolate cravings almost vanish if I eat at maintenance and intensify depending on my deficit, so I wonder if there's an element of balancing sugars involved for me.

Hope that helps :flowerforyou:
  • sashimimaniac
    sashimimaniac Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ghradelli 72% Dark Cocao is the best. I also find that, sometimes, drinking water before you reach for the snack really helps. After I drink a glass of water, I find that most of the time I no longer crave anything.
  • cartmail
    cartmail Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try chocolate mousses there usually around 100 cals and they work for me
  • tamraj
    tamraj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    DISCLAIMER FIRST- this is what my doctor recommended for me but you should ALWAYS do your own research and consult your own doc (that is good advice for anything you read on MFP).

Chromium Polynicotinate is said to regulate blood sugar as well as offer other benefits. I take 200 mcg at dinner time and it does seem to help with sweet snacky cravings. Also, I use a tsp of cinnamon for the same reason- I know the trials were small and possibly inconclusive etc, but I am not allergic to it, I like it and at that amount there aren't any side effects, so I decided it can't hurt.

With all that said, I also do some of what others have posted- try to pre- plan in an evening snack, use light chocolate soy milk as well as chocolate shredded mini wheats (chocolate and fiber!) and eat dark chocolate in small amounts, I have never had a whole lot of success with totally denying my cravings as it seems to be a set up for a massive cheat!

good luck!
  • AudreyandHana
    AudreyandHana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I buy the tiny fun size bars and freeze them. They then takes ages to eat and you feel as if you are really indulging yourself. I never ever reach for a second one by the time I have worked my way through the first and I have the worst sweet tooth ever.
  • NinjaBeth90
    Options
    Low cal hot chocolate is great :) In England there's a drink called "options" - its low cal, I don't if you get it in America though but if not options there should be something similar - each mug is like between 38 - 44 cals depending on the flavor. They really do cure my chocolate urges :)

Beth x
  • tamraj
    tamraj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used to go through bags of chocolate in a matter of days.

Then I discovered willpower.

That is fine until the day comes when for some reason you can't find where the hell you left it last! :ohwell:
    Better to have a couple of good strategies and battle plans up your sleeve, I think.:heart: