MFP 1200 cal goal

Options
So my fitness pal says for me to eat 1200 calories a day to lose 2 lb. a week. If I eat anything less than that it tells me that I am not eating enough calories and to eat more, but if I eat anything more than that I am over my calorie goal. That doesn't make any sense to me since it is almost impossible to eat exactly 1200 calories. I feel like mfp shouldn't make 1200 calories a goal if anything less than that is not enough. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There's no solid reason why any particular calorie number should be a limit, so I wouldn't get excited about it.

Set a lower target weight loss rate if it bothers you and the target will move away from the 1200 "minimum".
  • PixiePickle
    PixiePickle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you are also tracking your exercise calories then your calorie goal will fluctuate, so if you go over 1200 by a few you don't get the dreaded RED :smile:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    First, two pounds a week is an awful lot. It may sound like it isn't, but it really is fast long term unless you start out very obese. Often if you follow a one pound a week goal you'll start out losing more than that and then slow as you get closer to your goal.

Second, as the previous poster said, this isn't hard and fast. You want to average 1200 calories a day (if that's your target) to lose your target weight loss (two pounds a week). If you average a little more, you'll lose a little slower.

If you average a little less than that your body may (according to the theory) hold onto calories more tightly, making it harder to lose weight. This is a SLIDING SCALE. It doesn't kick in suddenly.

In addition, and this is important, it really is controlled by insulin levels. So if you keep your blood sugar stable - always food when you're hungry, no easy to digest carbs like straight sugar, white flour, or other things that rapidly peak blood sugar - calorie deficits are less likely to have problematic effects.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Probably not a good idea shooting for 2lb a week.
    If you prefer losing weight and not restricting your food intake too much I would shoot for 1lb a week and create a better deficit through activity.

Are you still breastfeeding?
    Youll need an additional 500cals for that too.
  • jalapenosmom
    jalapenosmom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok i changd my goal to 1.5lbs a week. It upps my calories to 144m calores a day. I was doing 1200, but staying just below. I am not overly hungry. I eat every couple hours with snacks between meals like grapes or a banana and such, so i am not worried about being hungry. I dont breastfeed, my son is 8 mo now (although it took me that long to lose the baby weight). i dont record my exercise calories. I havent really tried that, though i do go to the gym 4 to 5 days a week so maybe i should. I havent eaten my exercise calories back either. I have lost 2 lbs a week so far and i know losing 1 lb a week would be okay too,, but after eating 1200 cals a week, i dont know if i could jump up to 1500 without feeling bad about it.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Record the workouts.

You arent going to try to drive your car 400miles on an empty tank.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You're nearly 200 lbs? I think 2 lbs/week is fine. Mayo Clinic says it's reasonable for anyone.

"Why do doctors recommend a slow rate of weight loss? What's wrong with fast weight loss?
    Answer
    from Donald Hensrud, M.D.

The concern with fast weight loss is that it usually takes extraordinary efforts in diet and exercise — efforts that could be unhealthy and that you probably can't maintain as permanent lifestyle changes.

A weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds a week is the typical recommendation. Although that may seem like a slow pace for weight loss, it's more likely to help you maintain your weight loss for the long term. "
  • mcarter99
    Options
    Record the workouts.

She's trying to lose 60 lbs. She has 210,000 calories in her tank.
  • jalapenosmom
    Options
    I find it harder to record the exercise, because I don't know exactly how many calories I am burning. I don't want to put more than I am. Well, Ill try to eat a but more on the days I go to the gym, and stay at my regular calories on other days.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You're nearly 200 lbs? I think 2 lbs/week is fine. Mayo Clinic says it's reasonable for anyone.

"Why do doctors recommend a slow rate of weight loss? What's wrong with fast weight loss?
    Answer
    from Donald Hensrud, M.D.

The concern with fast weight loss is that it usually takes extraordinary efforts in diet and exercise — efforts that could be unhealthy and that you probably can't maintain as permanent lifestyle changes.

A weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds a week is the typical recommendation. Although that may seem like a slow pace for weight loss, it's more likely to help you maintain your weight loss for the long term. "

Really. The Mayo Clinic thinks losing 2 pounds a week is reasonable for anyone? I'm at 129 pounds. My BMR is 1120. I'd have to eat a 1,000 deficit daily to lose 2 pounds a week. Certainly not possible or advisable.
  • mcarter99
    Options
    It's reasonable for the typical overweight person, I suppose I should say. I don't think most doctors would worry about you even trying to hit 2 lbs/week through increasing your activity and eating at least 900-1000, given what I assume is a small stature.

I think there's a difference too between 'aiming for' and 'achieving'. If you have 8 lbs. to lose, you can aim for 2 lbs/week but the odds you'll achieve it for 4 weeks are slim. We just don't estimate things that well, not when the margin for error is so slim. Doctors know if we're aiming for 1000 calorie/day deficit, we probably hit 800 at best, and 500 at average. Between aiming for 500 and achieving 0 (and no losses) and aiming for 1000 and achieving 500 (some losses), they would probably rather have us aim high and lose something because that 'no losses' result will make people quit their plan entirely.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Record the workouts.

Just trying to make her diet easier.
    We all know well that you dont have an issue eating 1200 but if she doesnt and can lose just as much weight eating closer to 2k....
    I'm not interested in having this debate again.

My successful clients can speak for themselves.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You can't talk about weight without talking about height.
  • mcarter99
    Options
    Record the workouts.

We all know well that you dont have an issue eating 1200 but if she doesnt and can lose just as much weight eating closer to 2k....

I don't know if misinformation makes anyone's diet easier.

For the record, Dan's 'clients' are forumites who follow his tip to use the Fit2FatRadio plan (or is it Scoobys?) rather than MFP's.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Record the workouts.

I don't know if misinformation makes anyone's diet easier.

For the record, Dan's 'clients' are forumites who follow his tip to use the Fit2FatRadio plan (or is it Scoobys?) rather than MFP's.

I refuse to stoop to your level anymore.

My weight loss plan was put together from research that works.

I simply point people to the tools and teach them how to use it.
    You refuse to even try it so in my eyes your points are moot.

I've tried 1200 cals and it didnt work.
    I eat 2k-2500 cals a day and lose fat.
    I eat whatever I want and lose fat.
    My "Clients" eat whatever they want and eat between 1600-3k and lose fat.

Like it or not it works!

So go ahead.
    Eat 1200 cals a day.
    If you like it and it works then great!
    If not, PM me.
    I'll get you started.
    Hugs!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    In my Mail just yesterday from an MFPer.

"So I have been stuck at a plateau for a long time... a very long time... in fact I couldn't remember when the scales even last moved. I originally stuck with the 1200 set my MFP, I was tired, hungry, moody and getting nowhere. I was searching around the forums for some forums for any useful scrap of information I could find, when I came cross your road map (I added you after that).

I'm not gonna lie, I seriously doubted it at first, to me it did originally sound more logical to say eat less to weigh less, but nothing else was working so other than my sanity I had pretty much nothing less to lose and thought I would give it a shot.... my first shot was a half assed shot, I only upped to 1500 and again 0 weight loss, but I was enjoying the eat more part. I eventually decided to follow what you said and the links given properly. Once again I upped to between 1700-1900 calories (depending on how much I worked out) I think I hit over 2000 the other day as well.

I weighed myself this morning after trying this for 5 days (I should have waited longer I know but again I was nervous of increasing so much) and... my weight has moved for the first time in about 2 months! I am down 0.5lb in 5 days. I'm not expecting to lose an excessive amount in one week, so I am very happy to see the scaled move by 0.5lb.

So thank you. If I hadn't seen your post I would probably still be torturing myself with my 1200 calorie diet and getting no where, but your post has helped me a lot! I'll let you know the results in about a months time and you can rub it in the faces of those who ***** and say upping will make you gain =) Have a great day."

How many PMs do you get like that Mcarter?
    This is the reason I keep doing what I do.

Watboy

"Hey bud ive lost 12 lbs total since I took your advise. I dont have any new photos but will have my brother take some next week. Life is good. Bodyfat is 17% still work in progress."

He used to be like Mcarter and the 1200 crew.
    He wasnt losing anything.

"Hi Dan. Just wanted to thank you. If it wasn't for your road map thread I would never have switched to eating more about 3 months ago. I am a few pounds from target weight now and am losing weight and it all seems to be fat loss not muscle loss. It was hard at first but glad I stuck to it. Take care Mandy."

Thats all for now.
    I'm here if anyone needs any help!
  • jalapenosmom
    Options
    Well i have lost 22 lbs doing 1200 calories a day, so i am hesitant to up my calories to 1700 which would be 25 percent below my tdee. I am going to try it, though and see what happens in a week.
  • cbendorf13
    cbendorf13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Found Dan's thread about 3 weeks ago after eating around 1200 calories for a month. I did lose 20 lbs, but I did not feel like my body was at its best. I switched a few weeks ago to between 1700 and 2000 calories/day after researching what Dan posted and consulting a fitness expert. I have lost over 5 lbs since then and I feel better and know that in the long run I wont be causing muscle damage.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Well i have lost 22 lbs doing 1200 calories a day, so i am hesitant to up my calories to 1700 which would be 25 percent below my tdee. I am going to try it, though and see what happens in a week.

Be warned, if you jump straight from 1200 to 1700 you may get a weight gain in the first week or so. It is not fat as you haven;t eaten over your maintenance goals, but it will be water weight from the glycogen replenishment - it'll soon come back off again,

But when you have a gain the first week, don't panic and think you need to drop back to 1200 as you are gaining fat, as you aren't.

Good Luck. :)