How often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday and sometimes twice a day... I know they say the best indicator is weekly, but I just can't seem to help myself. If I gain weight, I try to reflect back on that day and what I did differently (if anything) and am prepared to change my habbits if necessary. I read a lot of people weigh in everyday but take one day as their "official" day. I like that idea a lot and think I will start using it! Good luck on your journey, you seem to be off to a fantastic start!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Friday mornings.

My alarm goes off, my feet hit the floor, I go potty (we all know how much that weighs..LOL) and then I weigh in while wearing my PJs.

I have tried to refrain from weighing myself all the time. A women's weight fluctuates alot......there's no need to go through all that and get upset each day when you don't see a change.
  • maandyx0
    maandyx0 Posts: 59
    Options
    I usually weigh daily, but update my log on here 2 or 3 times a week.
  • celsjl
    celsjl Posts: 1
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, at the same time every day (first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom and before taking a shower, and yes completely undressed--only want my true weight :)! ) The thing that I have been so happy about is using MFP to be able to track the weight patterns over a 3 month period. I weigh daily and can immediately see what my successes and failures do with my weight, while still seeing that I am on track. I really think that the daily weight checks haven't hurt my motivation it actually has helped me to understand that there can be ups and downs along the way and not to over focus on a particular weight on a particular day (just think if I had a bad weight day and only weighed once a week, I would count the whole week a failure, but with weighing every day, I can see that I did great most of the week, and only had one bad weight day that happened to resolve in a day or two). I also noted that using the weight with the % body fat on the scale, I may not see a weight change for a couple days, but the % fat is changing, then Bazzinng! the weight will drop!

Please note, I really do have a good track record with this method. Although, my MFP only shows 2# total loss, (I found out about MFP and started using it later after I had lost some weight, and then got a back injury and gained back 15# before I could get active again this May) I have actually lost a total of 30# over the past year, 15 of them twice :). I started at 5'4" and 168#. I am now 138#. I realize some may think this isn't much, since they have lost much more weight, but I am getting close to my goal of 120# and am changing my body composition with regular focused exercise program.
  • raeCR
    raeCR Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh in only once a week, because daily I do not see the progress once it comes off slowly. Once a week gives me enough time to make a difference. Since I started this path to changing my lifestyle I have not weighed in - it has only been three days, and I probably won't weigh in for two weeks because we are going out of town and I only want to use my scale. That is exciting for me because in two weeks time I should see some success, especially since it has been such a big change in eating for me.
  • wldlndcpt
    wldlndcpt Posts: 25
    Options
    I weigh myself every day but only for the purpose of seeing how I am getting along. It is important not to hold too high a store on what the scales say - we all differ day by day - so my attitude is that if I have lost some weight then that is great, but I know there is a good chance that tomorrow it might be back on there. Once a week at the health centre in work I weigh myself and that is what I count. I measure my success by how I feel - and I feel great - healthy and slimmer ... the rest of it is just numbers.

This! I also weigh daily, it gives me a better idea of how my body reacts to certain foods. I record my weight once a week and that is on the scale at my weight loss center. Measurements and how my clothes fit are a better indicator of how well I am progressing.
  • raeCR
    raeCR Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think this is a lot of weight to have lost! I am trying to lose 20 pounds and while that may not sound like a lot, I am 5"3. I started at 165 #.
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    i weigh once a week, in the morning before i eat anything, i hide the scales after so as im not tempted to check
  • ShrinkingBear
    ShrinkingBear Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It seems like this question has been adequately answered, but I'm often asked this, so I figure I'll pipe in here.

I weigh myself several times a day. I know I'm generally my highest when I go to bed, and my lowest after I workout before showering. The latter is my "official" weight each day. I know that my weight will bounce around. I'm not only measuring fat loss, but hopefully muscle gain as well. And finally, I know that water retention will probably cause my weight to vary quite a bit.

I don't concern myself with my daily ups and downs, or even my ups and downs throughout the week. Instead, I watch the overall slope of the graph of my weight. if i see it going down over time, I'm happy. If I see spikes, I curse, roll with it, and move on.

It's a long and hard journey. I didn't get to 350 pounds overnight; I didn't come back down to 270 overnight; I'm not going to meet my next goal of 250 overnight; and I'm not going to get to my ultimate goal, whatever that is, overnight either. I'm patient, committed, and I'm certainly not going to let minor setbacks derail me.
  • hatescows
    hatescows Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Like five times a day, but I only record it once a week. The only reason I do it five times a day is because I find it so interesting to see how my weight fluctuates due to different activities.

YES!!! Me too.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day when I wake up. I record any day it's lower than the last time, and ignore any time it's a pound or three higher and assume it's just my fluctuations doing their thing. I like to weigh every day just to see what's going on! But if it's slow or I'm fluctuation, I know it's no big deal and I can shrug it off.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Every day at the same time. Some days I do weigh myself over the course of the day but I only record the one weight.
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I weigh every morning first thing. I know my weight can flucuate so I expect that. If I lose I enter that weight. If I don't I really watch what I eat so the scales go down. I know you shouldn't weigh every day but I have to.
  • DonnaVB2
    DonnaVB2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Daily. Same time everyday.

I record whenever I remember.
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily first thing in the morning and as long as I am 100% on my MF program then I drop weight daily usually .4-.6 lbs a day when Im 100%;) For me its a motivation and also a tracking thing I have weighed myself daily for a year on Aug 20th of this year:)
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself. The only reason I know my recent weight is because we had a free health evaluation at my work which included fasting blood work and they weighed us before they took our blood. Two months before that I was weighed before doing a pump and run (pump amount depends on your weight). I also don't measure anything. I do pay attention to the mirror and clothes. That I am probably obsessed with. I would be obsessed with the constant flucuations of the scale if I used one. Other people are also good indications if whether you are in shape/loosing weight. They will tell you if you are doing good, they won't if you are doing bad.
  • seasicksquid
    seasicksquid Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and keep track on a spreadsheet, but only pull out "amount lost" every 5-10 days. Otherwise it's just a quick check in the morning because I like data.
  • jnthwaite
    jnthwaite Posts: 111
    Options
    Weekly. Same time, in the mornings, naked on my Wii Fit before I've eaten, but after I've gone to the bathroom. The only variable you're changing, will be your weight then. :heart:
  • niceMarly
    niceMarly Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I try not to weigh myself more than once a month....I actually keep my scales in the trunk of my car to avoid the temptation.....I refuse to focus on a "number", as opposed to how my clothes keep getting baggier....
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. But I only log it if its a loss. I step on first thing after my morning "taking care of business" and step on my scale 3 times. Whatever the lowest is I take as the official weight. I don't log it on MFP tho unless it is actually lower tho. So if my lowest weight is 194.9....I won't add the weight to MFP till I pass that and hit a lower weight.

I know some days it will be higher and I understand that...I go by more how my clothes feel. I have been losing inches and not weight over the last few weeks, so eh. I find it interesting to see how much my weight fluctuates with my eating, and I take a perverse pleasure in looking at the graphs of how my weight drops as I log it on a different site.

I pretty much try to not focus on the number on the scale...intellectually I know that it will drop, and if I am losing inches then I AM losing weight... it just hasn't registered yet .