Afraid to say anything at alll

Options
Failed so many times... no clue why I am trying again, except I can't stand the thought of completely giving up.

So... gonna avoid sugar, eat whole foods, keep it around 2k calories and try to not eat the processed foods, drink water and exercise 3 times a week That is it for now.. I believe that it is at least a start.

And awaaayyyyy we go :)

Replies

• mefit87
    mefit87 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Good job for making an effort. You've made the first step to a healthy life. Take it one day at a time and it's all about baby steps. You can and will do it. Keep a positive mind set and stay determined. I started my journey a few weeks ago and already feel good about myself. Thin like a thin person and you'll automatically start making healthy choices. Thats what I've been doing and its working so far. lol. Good Luck
  • Krisstah
    Krisstah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Its really hard to get started for sure, but once you get going, and try and get yourself around like minded people for support, you can do it, i really feel like the food charting on my fitness pal has been the best thing for me, sometimes when i think "oh there cant be much calories for that meal" and then add it all up in front of me, i realize that i need to make a few healthier adjustments.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Start off a bit easier ...

Today: Take 3 pictures (front, profile, rear), measure thighs, hips, waist, chest & biceps)

Week 1: Cut the sugar/sweeteners, go for a 30 min walk every second day, 10 glasses of water a day, 1 beer a week (a man's gotta live!)

Week 2: Cut all the "white/processed" foods - detox

Week 3: Go for a 30 min walk every day

Week 4: Add exercise for 30 mins, 3x per week

Make 1 little change every single week, take pics/measurements at the end of every month, compare first set with last set.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now .... and do it." (William C. Durant)

Three years ago I made a few copies of this quote & taped them everywhere ..... in fact, there's one taped to my laptop right this second ...... it reminds me to stay focused ...... baby steps work fine ...... then each week challenge yourself & add something else to the mix :drinker:

Best of luck to you !
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Today: Take 3 pictures (front, profile, rear), measure thighs, hips, waist, chest & biceps)

Week 1: Cut the sugar/sweeteners, go for a 30 min walk every second day, 10 glasses of water a day, 1 beer a week (a man's gotta live!)

Make 1 little change every single week, take pics/measurements at the end of every month, compare first set with last set.

^ good advice
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Good luck, and I reckon Wpbarr gave some good advice. Enthusiasm is awesome, but remember to be realistic and kind to yourself along the way.

All the best!
  • Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    What a great way to start! Keep the positive attitude! YOU CAN DO IT and YOU ARE WORTH IT! Try a few changes at a time...some people do better with that, rather than trying to do EVERYTHING all at once. Best of luck! It's a struggle and journey for many!:smile:
  • sassydebbie67
    Options
    You have taken the first step.. You can do this!! It has taken me 2 1/2 years to lose 75 lbs and still have 36 to go.... I will be here as long as it takes and then after i lose the rest of my weight... We all can do this together.... Good Luck :smile:
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I was where you are back in April. I was ready to give up on trying to find my inner, thinner, self. Then I revelation happened, life reached out and smacked me, not literally, but what happened seemed to grab and hold my attention this time--2 different people in my life who mean a lot to me, within the same week, told me about this site back in early April. I mulled it over a while...then realized that it was like a divine sign, and I started out by signing up on here, putting in my weight, and not doing anything for another week. By the end of April I was logging my exercise regularly, early May I was logging my daily food (oh, what a huge help and eye opener that was!) and increased the exercise. By the end of May I had lost 10lbs and my confidence was soaring!

First of June was the last day of school, and I chose to dedicate this summer off work (I work at my neighborhood elementary school) to working on me. I've been increasing my workouts and now workout 6 days a week, 90 minutes a day (except today, which I barely managed to get 71 minutes in...body is tired, I guess). I've now dropped 24lbs.

I like the recommendation to change things one at a time. That is what worked for me, and I'm like you--I've done this attempting to lose thing more times than I can count and always ended up heavier than when I started, even if I had lost some. This time feels different somehow. I find that the folks on this site are a HUGE help! Look for those who will encourage you and help buoy you up when you're struggling, and you may find that they can make the difference for you too.

Best of luck in your journey!!
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Woody you have made a very giant step toward getting yourself in better health. It isn't about a number on that little piece of plastic & metal in our floor it is about the numbers seen when we have blood work and other medical tests done. Are you healthy? Do you want to be healthy? If so you can make it work. And it is work, hard work. Probably the hardest work we every have to do.

We are among the group of people who have to work at our health and it is a life time thing for us. No diet is going to help us we must make a lifestyle change in our eating & activity habits for the rest of our lives.

Like babies learning to walk we will fall down, we get up, we stumble, fall and get up again and keep doing it until we get it right. Then we still stumble along the way but we keep going. Losing weight is the same process.

This quote is the absolute truth. It has been credited to so many people I really don't know who originated it but I still like it.

"Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward."

You are worth it - set attainable goals - start with 5% (or whatever you are comfortable with) in 60 days )or whatever you really believe is attainable for you) of your body as your first goal and keep going. Baby steps.
  • Woodmangler
    Woodmangler Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Good grief... y'all brought tears to my eyes...

I have been afraid to try anything at all because once I fail, not only do I gain the weight back, I gain an additional 20% to boot.

If I don't do anything, I don't gain very fast...

Stupid to do nothing though... just want to get on some program that I can do for the long term... weight watchers didn't work for me... tried it twice. I have had gastric bypass surgery back in 2005... lost 140 pounds, have gained almost all of that back.

I want to find that magic determination so I can be one of the success stories... instead of a failure

Thanks for all the advice.. I have printed it out and will do it!!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Last week, as a big breakfast was being made for the office, someone asked me how I could turn down the high calorie breakfast. I told my co-worker, simple, I am through "starting over tomorrow". This thought came to me on day 3 of my journey, March 14, 2012, and it has helped me stay focused through my weight loss of 70+ pounds so far. I still have a long way to go, but little things help me stay on track. A perfect example was today, when my daughter was giving me a goodbye hug, and she told me I was skinny (which I am definately not, but I am on the way).
    This web site is a life saver for me, literally. People do not realize just how much their triumphs, failures, and day by day comments have helped me so far.
    I hope you can find the same inspiration.
    The very best of luck to you!
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I started with a baby step, and vowed to log all my food (but not really change anything). Almost immediately I started changing things anyway. Then I started with 15 minutes of exercise. Now I am up to about an hour. Once you start it's like the good habits are pulling you instead of you having to push yourself. Also, gather MFP friends. They really help me stay on track.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
  • cocotier
    cocotier Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have tried many time to lose weight, and i did and gained it back what I lost and plus. Many time, I gave up on myself because I believed I could not or it was not worth ti. Like you, I just could not go on, I had to do something. It's one step at the time, it's a moment at the time. You've made the right decision to join MFP and to start over. I don't know exactly why it works? but it does! I don't stress about exercising or eating. If anything being in MFP gives me a sense of "I can do this". So here we are all of us...It's a journey with good stuff, bad stuff, ugly stuff and beautiful stuff. Continue to log in and you will see that you can really do this.
  • gods_gal
    gods_gal Posts: 305
    Options
    You post has touched me. I was 300 pounds in 2002. I started losing weight, lost 30 pounds by June of that year, then got really sick. Over about 10 months, I lost 135 pounds. I was 165, which was skinny for me, but still so sickly looking. I was finally diagnosed and put on meds that helped me gain back 92 of those pounds over several years.

16 months ago I finally decided that I was worth living in a healthy body. It's taken me since then to lose 43 pounds. I lost a lot faster when I was younger, but I take what I can!!

I have put aside the "old man" who had no self-esteem, and put on the "new man" who knows her value now. I finally love myself and have stopped sabotaging myself by stuffing food to comfort myself. Now I look at food as fuel for my body and I try to only put hi-test in! LOL!!

I have stopped (for the most part) eating anything processed and try to eat things that God made, not man. Right now, it's impossible to totally cut it all out, but I'm working on it.

I have faith in you. You can do this. Not all at once, just like you can't eat an entire meal in one bite. Take it one step at a time. Build healthy habits one at a time.

Remind yourself constantly that you are worth it. It's going to be the hardest thing you have ever done, but when you reach your healthy goal weight you will be so incredibly proud that you hung in there and didn't give up on yourself. All that to say ...

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! We're pulling for you!!
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Determination is the first step to success. I know for me the first month was killer. After that, I started to feel amazing, see the pounds fall off, and wanted to continue.

I wish you the very best!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options

^ I agree. This is excellent advice. :flowerforyou:
  • consumone
    consumone Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think that is a great start - so lets not say anything and do this together - GOOD FOR YOU!!!
  • gods_gal
    gods_gal Posts: 305
    Options
    Just saw this on another forum, posted by l0zz0, and thought it was so appropriate for you ...

When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down,
    And you feel like the biggest failure in town.
    When you want to give up just because you gave in,
    and forget all about being healthy and thin.
    So What! You went over your points a bit,
    It's your next move that counts...So don't you quit!
    It's a moment of truth, it's an attitude change.
    It's learning the skills to get back in your range.
    It's telling yourself, "You've done great up till now.
    You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow."
    It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal.
    You're still gonna make it, just stay in control.
    To stumble and fall is not a disgrace,
    If you summon the will to get back in the race.
    But, often the struggler's, when loosing their grip,
    Just throw in the towel and continue to slip.
    And learn too late when the damage is done,
    that the race wasn't over...they still could have won.
    Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow,
    but facing each challenge will help you grow.
    Success is failure turned inside out,
    the silver tint in a cloud of doubt.
    When you're pushing to the brink, just refuse to submit,
    If you bite it, you write it....But don't you quit!