Purpose of dating?

Options

Replies

• Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Compaionship. To learn a person, courtship. Potential exclusive ideas, like serious dating or engagement, even marriage.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Partnership. To find someone to share all of life's adventures with.
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    figuring out likes and dilikes in the opposite sex not just to jump into marriage, but if you want kids you have to pick the right person to have them with. And who will take care our you when you are old?
  • danh6037
    danh6037 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    companionship and being in love.....it's wonderful when it works and you find the right person
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    lol well for most of the women I seem to encounter lately, they use it as an ego boost or just love attention.

Their loss!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    True love :) I'm a hopeless romantic
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    ...because we need the eggs.

Anyone who gets that gets big bonus points.

Annie Hall?
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever dated. I have only been in relationships because every guy I have ever been with was my friend first and then asked me to be his girlfriend.
  • Strong_Fit_Able
    Options
    Finding my other half, my partner-in-crime. That guy who can deal with my quirks whose quirks match mine. That one person in the world who I can just be stupid with but who can put my feet back on the ground when I start floating away.

That's what I'm looking for when I date.
    Haven't found him yet.

This is what I want too, and someone active, my ex wasn't very supportive... I would get "Why do you want to run 10k for?"
    Instead I would like "Hey, let's go for a run together"
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    The single most important point of dating is to get to know each other. In that I mean not just finding out about the other person, but many times finding out a lot about yourself. Together you either grow together or grow apart. If you grow together the relationship goes further and when you grow apart it ends. But in the end, you are both stronger.
    Haven't dated in a while though because I don't think any man would find me attractive. But I'm working on that and can't wait to start again.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    hmmm all of the above?
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever dated. I have only been in relationships because every guy I have ever been with was my friend first and then asked me to be his girlfriend.

lol, "every guy I have ever been with"

I have only had 3 boyfriends in my adult life. One for 3 weeks, one for 3 years, and one for 5 years.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    True love :) I'm a hopeless romantic

:heart:
  • TiasF
    TiasF Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think it's to learn about yourself through a significant other. To learn what you like, what you dislike, and what you'd want in a soulmate. How will you know what you like/dislike until you've experienced it? I think the end goal should be potential marriage, but i think it's almost unhealthy to be searching simply for marriage, because if the person does not fit the tab of a potential husband/wife, it will be a huge disappointment, when they could have been great ppl, just not meant to be your husband/wife. Some ppl are meant for a season, & some for a lifetime & if you put everyone u date in the lifetime position that can't be healthy for you mentally.
    I think it's to grow together with another person and learn more about yourself while you learn about another person =)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    ...because we need the eggs.

Anyone who gets that gets big bonus points.

Annie Hall?

Ha, ha. Awesome.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I miss being in love.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    companionship.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    Getting to know someone without having to read a Facebook profile.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I would say there is no point of dating unless you can see yourself marrying the person. If there's no end game, why do it?

Dating is practice-marriage. Eliminating the "no's" is just as important as finding the "yes." Tell me, how do *you* evaluate potential partners, if you think dating is pointless unless you're ready to propose?
    Well that's easy, I don't. I don't date and probably never will.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Companionship, which would hopefully include sexual compatibility, and in the best case scenario lead to a life partner. I'm not a huge fan of marriage in and of itself, but I would like to find a life partner. And, I don't believe in fairy tale true love, if that's what you mean. So, basically I guess I see the point as trying to find your ultimate best friend.