Purpose of dating?

Options

Replies

• juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    based off the wide range of answers here - Id say the purpose is finding a person that shares the same purpose in dating as you do.
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    To find mrsBaconcakes .
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Free meals lol.

(kidding, kidding :flowerforyou: )
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    companionship and sex. I'm not marriage material and so I tel them upfront that its not gonna go further than boyfriend/girlfriend. Ever.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Free food.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    for me, the purpose of dating is love and finding the other half of my team. experiences are more meaningful if there's someone else there to experience them with you.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    there is a purpose?

If there is, I don't know... Never dated anyone... always was in the friend zone :grumble:
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    It all depends on the person...different people date for different reasons.

I never dated someone that I had not thought at one point in time might be marriage material.

I dated because I saw potential in that person to be THE person I'd spend my life with. I dated to get to know that person better and to let them get to know me.

It worked out pretty well, I'd say-getting married in less than 2 weeks!
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Just to have fun. It's dating, right? Even a committed relationship should be fun. If it's not, then, how the hell are you going to do all the hard work a marriage entails?

How many people have a job they hate, but, have to have to fill their needs? I know there isn't a perfect job for most of us. There's something wrong with any profession (even winning the lotto), but, you find a way somehow, someway, to have fun...

If I can't go on a first, second, or even third date with someone and it isn't fun, I just say "what's the point?"
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    for me, the purpose of dating is love and finding the other half of my team. experiences are more meaningful if there's someone else there to experience them with you.

lovely! :)
  • MSepp
    Options

Very well put.

It is also nice to know you have that support there-someone who knows and understands all of you and accepts you just the way you are.
  • SLewis74
    SLewis74 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Dating is the opportunity to learn about each other, but I too am a hopeless romantic, so finding true love. Having that butterflies in the stomach, anxiety in anticipation of seeing that person, what a great feeling!
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't know! I don't date because I don't want to get married. But, that does not mean I won't date. People I meet who become friends learn pretty quickly that I have no desire to be married or have children. Those who have issue with my choices...they walk. I am okay with that. Those who are okay with my choice, they stay.
  • MSepp
    Options
    Just to have fun. It's dating, right? Even a committed relationship should be fun. If it's not, then, how the hell are you going to do all the hard work a marriage entails?

How many people have a job they hate, but, have to have to fill their needs? I know there isn't a perfect job for most of us. There's something wrong with any profession (even winning the lotto), but, you find a way somehow, someway, to have fun...

If I can't go on a first, second, or even third date with someone and it isn't fun, I just say "what's the point?"

Actually you bring up a good point...my fiancee and I still date...and plan to do a date every week and a short weekend trip somewhere once a month...we enjoy each others company and it makes our bond stronger.
  • CassandraM22
    Options
    To find someone you can relate to. Life is lonely and sometimes you want to have human contact with someone, or talk to someone...companionship...sex...I havent been on a date in...4 years? Good god.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ok...I'll say it.

I and I'm sure many others, have 'dated' over the years to find acceptance. We are often so low in self esteem and self worth, some of us have come from abusive backgrounds, if we were overweight at school we probably experiences bullying. Those things don't just go away with time.

Finding someone who loves us and accepts us warts and all is a major part of our lives, some of us.

What we don't usually realise is that we ARE lovable, just the way we are, but we have to love ourselves before we can love anyone else, or expect anyone to love us and accept us.

So this is my mission.

I don't need a man in my life, I'm a whole person in my own right. Yes the company would be nice, but I have a ways to go yet, to be the best person I can possibly be, FOR ME, before I can share that with anyone else.

it's time to accept myself and stop waiting for someone else to do it in order to 'feel good'.

I can do this!
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    To find someone you can relate to. Life is lonely and sometimes you want to have human contact with someone, or talk to someone...companionship...sex...I havent been on a date in...4 years? Good god.
    18 years...I win
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    18 years...I win

WOW - I thought my 7 years was a long time. Was I wrong or what?
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    18 years...I win

Well, mine encompasses my entire life, so I guess it's not the same thing...
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    18 years...I win

Well, mine encompasses my entire life, so I guess it's not the same thing...

27, though that isn't from a lack of trying...