Sodium?

Options
Does anyone watch their sodium intake? If so, why? (Just trying to educate myself.)

Replies

• datikihut21
    datikihut21 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I know sodium causes water retention, which can leave you feeling and looking bloated. I watch my intake a bit, but it's definitely not something I stress over.
  • KatiD83
    KatiD83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I watch mine for many reasons, mainly because I have high blood pressure and retain water easily on days I eat too much.
  • ashlensmomma
    ashlensmomma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this, I was wondering the same thing this afternoon, because I realized my favorite soup has 940mg! Sheesh.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I watch it due to doctor's orders. I'm supposed to be on the DASH diet for hypertension. I try to keep it at/under 2300mg a day and drink a lot of water (at least 80 oz) and keep potassium up (supposed to cancel out sodium or some such).
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Its one of the values you can track on your daily food diary but you have to customize the diary to add it.

MFP says 2500 mg per day, but my Doc says he wants me to stay at 1800 or below.

Like said above, it makes you retain water so you are heavier and it keeps your blood pressure high.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I usually try to stick to 1500 or below. It's mainly for health reasons =). My body has trouble regulating water and can cause me to go into congestive heart failure =\. I don't make it under that everyday, but I'll keep trying lol
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Its also the main reason I try to avoid packaged foods and fast food.

I saw the advert for the new Cantina Bowl by Taco Bell and thought I'd give it a try. AFTER eating it I found out it has 1520 mg by itself! That really blew my sodium count for the day. I won't be ordering that again.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I don't stress over it at all. My blood pressure is great and it doesn't cause me to retain water, so it doesn't bother me. Most people do watch theirs, which is great. My doctor was saying that because people are SO afraid to add any salt to anything, there is an increasing number of people with iodine deficiencies, which causes problems with the thyroid. I thought that was interesting. Obviously people that watch it for Heath issues like hypertension should absolutely do so. I just get annoyed at people who claim you cannot lose... Or will in fact gain fat from eating too much sodium.
  • plfeery
    plfeery Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I watch my sodium very carefully due to Meneire's disease. Most people who watch their sodium is due to some sort of illness and dietary restrictions.
    However in researching low/no sodium recipes and diets most people should watch it more than they do cuz our society as a whole eat foods that have waaaaay too much sodium in them. It's not easy. It took me 6mo to really get a handle on what I was eating and tracking how much sodium was in it. If you do watch your sodium you will be surprised how much you eat in a day.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1500 but for healthy young folks 2,500 is considered safe and sane. Mostly to control water retention and aid your kidneys in cleaning out toxins from your system. Potassium, calcium and sodium are essential to cellular process and maintaining cellular pressure. And we can actually get by on as low as 500 mg a day easily. 2,500 is a max not a min. But that said, lots of water and good potassium rich foods can usually compensate for too much salt.

Discussed the iodine deficiency question with my doctor, and she said it is very unlikely that you would get an iodine deficiency if you are eating a balanced diet and having fish once in awhile.
  • bakerbob74ish
    Options
    If you go to Bing, Google etc and type in sodium daily requirements ...one can get an idea of their daily #. for instance Weight Watchers soup 1 cup is about 439mg , and I eat about 4 cups.
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I retain fluid (up to 10 pounds worth) and high blood pressure, not to mention feeling bloated are the results. By watching my sodium intake and keeping it below 1500mg daily, it keeps the excess fluid off of me and keeps my blood pressure at a safe level. Not everyone has this problem however, there are people that can eat over their generous sodium intake amounts with no effects whatsoever. I found when I had to make this dietary modification, it forced me to eat much healthier, and to plan ahead meals and snacks. Most processed and fast foods have tons of sodium and I have had to decrease the amount in my diet.
  • psplanz
    psplanz Posts: 3
    Options
    @cobracars...I saw the same add and thought it looked good....if I made it myself so i could regulate everything...
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
  • DarBland
    DarBland Posts: 1
    Options
    I use to mostly watch calories but I started to watch sodium because I have high blood pressure. I was really surprised to find it hidden in seasonings, cheese, any prepared foods (like soups).
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I keep an eye on it, but for the opposite reason as most people. If my sodium is under 2300mg for more than a day or two, I start having low blood pressure issues, so I try and keep it around 2600 most days.
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    yes,because my husband has hypertension. I personally can do without the bloat :flowerforyou: