New To MFP. Looking To Spread Advise.

Options
I'm now 18 and 5'10. August 2011 is when I realized that I need to get back into a healthy lifestyle. At that time I was 175 lbs, the heaviest I've ever been. I cut out all soft drinks and now drink only water, with the exception of herbal tea and smoothies. I haven't had caffeine in over 8 months now. These are just a couple of the things that allowed me to drop down to 125 lbs. Then there was the diet changes. I eat a small meal every 2-3 hours, and this is something that I highly suggest. Never starve yourself! That is the worst thing for someone trying to lose weight. When you do finally give your body food, it will just store most of it as fat, because it doesn't know when it is going to get food next. So, that is a big rule. Another thing to do is to cut down on ADDED sugar! You get plenty of healthy sugars from fruit and vegetables, there is no need in adding dangerous amounts of unhealthy sugar into your body. And when you cut out this extra sugars your taste buds will respect the natural flavors of foods so much more. Rutabagas and sweet potatoes are great vegetables that do not need any additives. They have plenty of flavor all by themselves. The next important step is eliminating red meats. Saturated fat is so dangerous. It scares when I see how much of it people are putting into their bodies. Lean meats and fish much better forms of protein. And if you are a vegetarian, beans are a great option (try to make use dried beans, try to avoid eat from a can. sodium is also dangerous). I'm tired of hearing the excuse that healthy food is expensive. That can be true, but it doesn't have to be. A meal at a fast food joint is $7-9 dollars on average. I can get a bag of dried beans that lasts me 20 servings for $1.00. Fast food is definitely more expensive when you factor in the future medical bills. I lost 50 lbs just by changing my diet. I rarely set aside time for exercise. I just try to incorporate it into my semi-active lifestyle. If you are serious about getting healthy, I am here to give you the advise you need and to possibly learn from you too. I am currently working on building some muscle, which is kind of a challenge since my acid reflux gets worse when I do a vigorous workout. I am saddened by the fact that people don't feel that they have the ability or will to get healthy, so that is why I'm making this post. I want to help everybody live longer. So contact me if you want to join me.

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    well, keep spreadin' it, brother.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    I'm now 18 and 5'10. August 2011 is when I realized that I need to get back into a healthy lifestyle. At that time I was 175 lbs, the heaviest I've ever been. I cut out all soft drinks and now drink only water, with the exception of herbal tea and smoothies. I haven't had caffeine in over 8 months now.
    Caffeine isn't detrimental to weight loss. In fact scientific study shows it helps with inducing it.
    These are just a couple of the things that allowed me to drop down to 125 lbs.
    If you're 5'10 and 125lbs at 18 you're underweight. At 5'7" and 18 I looked really skinny, which is why I worked to gain weight.
    Then there was the diet changes. I eat a small meal every 2-3 hours, and this is something that I highly suggest. Never starve yourself! That is the worst thing for someone trying to lose weight. When you do finally give your body food, it will just store most of it as fat, because it doesn't know when it is going to get food next. So, that is a big rule.
    Starving yourself isn't good, but you DON'T NEED to eat every 2-3 hours to avoid starvation.
    Another thing to do is to cut down on ADDED sugar! You get plenty of healthy sugars from fruit and vegetables, there is no need in adding dangerous amounts of unhealthy sugar into your body. And when you cut out this extra sugars your taste buds will respect the natural flavors of foods so much more. Rutabagas and sweet potatoes are great vegetables that do not need any additives. They have plenty of flavor all by themselves.
    Sugar whether from food or processed is broken down the same way by the body to it's simpliest form. It's the total amount of calories that matters more.
    The next important step is eliminating red meats. Saturated fat is so dangerous. It scares when I see how much of it people are putting into their bodies. Lean meats and fish much better forms of protein. And if you are a vegetarian, beans are a great option (try to make use dried beans, try to avoid eat from a can. sodium is also dangerous).
    Red meat is fine in moderation. Saturated fat isn't DANGEROUS since you need some of it to live. It's the overconsumption of it that's the issue. And sodium is really only an issue if your sensitive to it or have high blood pressure. Please stop making unsupported claims.
    I'm tired of hearing the excuse that healthy food is expensive. That can be true, but it doesn't have to be. A meal at a fast food joint is $7-9 dollars on average. I can get a bag of dried beans that lasts me 20 servings for $1.00. Fast food is definitely more expensive when you factor in the future medical bills. I lost 50 lbs just by changing my diet. I rarely set aside time for exercise. I just try to incorporate it into my semi-active lifestyle. If you are serious about getting healthy, I am here to give you the advise you need and to possibly learn from you too. I am currently working on building some muscle, which is kind of a challenge since my acid reflux gets worse when I do a vigorous workout. I am saddened by the fact that people don't feel that they have the ability or will to get healthy, so that is why I'm making this post. I want to help everybody live longer. So contact me if you want to join me.
    It's good to give advice if what you're stating is factually true. What you're advising worked for you (although the BMI scale states you're underweight along with other weight parameter charts) and not something that all would actually benefit from.
    But IMO you need to bump that weight up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    What I got out of this:

run on paragraph that looks like a run on sentence causing me a head ache

i'm new here and know everything

nothing after cut out all red meat since it was at this point that I realized unequivicably that everything you're saying is anecdotal with some common misconceptions added in for flavor.

I'm just going to refer to Niner's post above.

and that you probably went from unhealthy over weight to skinny fat.

The keys to success are really 1) everything in moderation and 2) weightloss due to diet alone can make you look good, but diet and exercies combined can make you look good naked . . . I like looking good naked.
  • ajwalls257
    Options
    I didn't say that you had to cut out caffeine. I had to because I have a hiatal hernia and if I have caffeine, I will be in intense pain. SInce, cutting out caffeine, my body and mind have felt so much better. Caffeine and red meat are something that our body does not need. They are like desert. Just because it's not bad for you in small amounts, doesn't make it a necessity. I'm just stating what has worked for me. If you want to put this stuff inside you, go ahead. And I wouldn't rely on BMI to tell you if you are healthy. What about a 5'4 body builder. Is he unhealthy because he is over weight with muscle?
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    this is all I see

matrix1.jpg&sa=X&ei=XWsNUKjvF5PzqwHinoTICg&ved=0CBEQ8wc4Dw&usg=AFQjCNE32KzyOCvGW_dRNGtDhkyARE7iNg
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest. For one thing, your post comes off as extremely condescending and annoying. Second, what works for you will not work for everyone. I eat 3 meals a day, eat red meat once a week, and drink caffeine on a regular basis. I know you said you didn't mean it that way, but it comes off as "this is the only way."
  • ajwalls257
    Options
    ok . thanks for the input. i'll just delete this post and let the world sink some more :)
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    wow, is 125 your goal weight at 5' 10 being a male? this is concerning.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm now 18 and 5'10. August 2011 is when I realized that I need to get back into a healthy lifestyle. At that time I was 175 lbs, the heaviest I've ever been. I cut out all soft drinks and now drink only water, with the exception of herbal tea and smoothies. I haven't had caffeine in over 8 months now. These are just a couple of the things that allowed me to drop down to 125 lbs. Then there was the diet changes. I eat a small meal every 2-3 hours, and this is something that I highly suggest. Never starve yourself! That is the worst thing for someone trying to lose weight. When you do finally give your body food, it will just store most of it as fat, because it doesn't know when it is going to get food next. So, that is a big rule. Another thing to do is to cut down on ADDED sugar! You get plenty of healthy sugars from fruit and vegetables, there is no need in adding dangerous amounts of unhealthy sugar into your body. And when you cut out this extra sugars your taste buds will respect the natural flavors of foods so much more. Rutabagas and sweet potatoes are great vegetables that do not need any additives. They have plenty of flavor all by themselves. The next important step is eliminating red meats. Saturated fat is so dangerous. It scares when I see how much of it people are putting into their bodies. Lean meats and fish much better forms of protein. And if you are a vegetarian, beans are a great option (try to make use dried beans, try to avoid eat from a can. sodium is also dangerous). I'm tired of hearing the excuse that healthy food is expensive. That can be true, but it doesn't have to be. A meal at a fast food joint is $7-9 dollars on average. I can get a bag of dried beans that lasts me 20 servings for $1.00. Fast food is definitely more expensive when you factor in the future medical bills. I lost 50 lbs just by changing my diet. I rarely set aside time for exercise. I just try to incorporate it into my semi-active lifestyle. If you are serious about getting healthy, I am here to give you the advise you need and to possibly learn from you too. I am currently working on building some muscle, which is kind of a challenge since my acid reflux gets worse when I do a vigorous workout. I am saddened by the fact that people don't feel that they have the ability or will to get healthy, so that is why I'm making this post. I want to help everybody live longer. So contact me if you want to join me.

paragraphs, please!
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    ok . thanks for the input. i'll just delete this post and let the world sink some more :)

What makes you think we're going to sink? I think you're forgetting where you're at. Go to the "success stories" category. :smile:
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I stopped after the no red meat thing....

Haha ninerbuff <3 I love when you do the whole quote thing. It makes me happy.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Hey now, everyone... don't forget that we all think we know everything when we're 18.

So fresh, bright-eyed and positive! How quaint!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

3oty3x.jpg&sa=X&ei=9m0NUJClFMa6rQHQpe38Cw&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGa1-uLVqrexdloyIiAUWqIwL5Wog
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

This is a dude??

Oh my.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    tl,dr; nice effort OP, but you do come off as condescending. and the lack of paragraphs make my head hurt.

also realize there are many ways of going about getting healthier. yours is one way, but not the only way.

Owns more shoes than any man should.
    Leaps miniature buildings in a single bound.
    Knows the difference between loose and lose.
    Can mix a filthy martini with his eyes closed.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    tl,dr; nice effort OP, but you do come off as condescending. and the lack of paragraphs make my head hurt.

also realize there are many ways of going about getting healthier. yours is one way, but not the only way.

Owns more shoes than any man should.
    Leaps miniature buildings in a single bound.
    Knows the difference between loose and lose.
    Can mix a filthy martini with his eyes closed.

martini please.....mmmmmkthxbye
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    life without coffee and steak is not a life i want to live.

but thanks for your condisention. :flowerforyou:
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    That was quick. He deactivated.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If you like it, spread it.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options