Thin vs Fit

Options
13»

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    So an individual with a very high BMI is an overall healthy individual?

As I keep saying, knowing your BMI will NOT give you any indications as to whether you are fit, fat, skinny or otherwise. Scroll up the page until you find the picture of the pretty famous politcian. At his peak as Mr. Universe he had a BMI of 32

He had hardly any fat (less than 5%), was as fit as a fiddle, lean, muscley body - yet the BMI charts would say he was obese!

He WAS an overall healthy individual - with a very high BMI!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So an individual with a very high BMI is an overall healthy individual?

I am going to have to disagree. Though, like I said, you may be in perfect health otherwise, BMI itself is an indicator for future disease. See the research cited below:

These are few of many. Though it may not effect an individual for a short interim, it is, indeed, a sign of poor health.

*sigh* You are confusing disease risk factor with actual disease. You can have a healthy BMI, healthy BF%, eat right, exercise regularly and still have a risk factor for disease.

Whether an individual with a very high BMI is healthy or not can only be determined on the individual level. Most NBA players have a very high BMI. Many bodybuilders have a very high BMI. That doesn't make them unhealthy.

Certainly it is more difficult to be healthy with a high BMI, especially if you also have a high BF%, but it is not impossible.