I could do With a Hug

Options
frando
frando Posts: 583 Member
At dinner tonight we had salad (as you can see from my diary) and I had one slice of cheese, one slice, and my Dad exploded 'and when do you plan on loosing that???'

I didn't tell my parents that I'm going to the gym and neither of them had noticed me loosing a stone and it was just the last straw. I finished dinner, completed my diary and showed my dad it. Showing cleary I have left over calories. I can't remember much of the argument that followed but it wasn't pleasant. I remember the 'you should be 1200 calories a day and it doesn't matter what exercise you do you should never eat more just because you've exercised, good luck with that appy thing!!!'

It was when I told him I'd lost a stone he literally laughed in my face.

I'm just feeling so detested and pointless and ****. I thought had accomplished something but I obviously haven't. What's the point any more???

Replies

• meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am so sorry you are dealing with that. Just try and keep your head up and look to MFP for support if you need to!
    Sending you a hug!
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Ew, your dad sounds like a jerk. Sending virtual hugs your way, and the patience to deal with unkind people. Remember, you're doing this for yourself, not anyone else. Take a deep breath, and keep doing what you're doing. If it's working, you're fine!
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The point is that you are making amazing progress!
    You are doing this for yourself, not for anyone else. I'm really sorry that your dad isn't supportive.
    Personally I would just carry on doing what you need to do and focus on yourself. Please don't let anyone else ruin your goals.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Don't let your dad ruin this for you.

Parents think they have our best interest at heart, but they aren't right all the time.

You are doing something really amazing. You've lost a stone--that's a lot of work.

You should be doing this for yourself. Not your father.

What's the point? The point is to be healthy. To live a long life, doing the things you want to do--not being sick. To be able to have children without the complications weight brings (if you want that). To buy the outfits you want to buy without worrying whether you'll have a muffin top, flabby arms, etc.

This is about you. Not him.

We all want to impress our parents. We all want their approval. But, eventually, we have to live our lives in the way that is best for us. Take their advice seriously, but if it doesn't work for you, you have to do what's right for you.
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work. You are doing well and the scale even shows it. I'm sorry about your dad. Sometimes the people we want most to approve of our weightloss are the hardest ones on us. Keep up the good work and remember, you can always find support here. So here is a hug and some flowers:flowerforyou: to make your day go better.
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd piss in his coffee. Then you can laugh at him all the time too. That's ridiculous. Congrats on your progress and don't starve yourself just because your dad's being an *kitten*.
  • frando
    Options
    I know it works and I just don't see why he's being so mean, this is after I made the whole dinner and cleaned all his clothes. I feel so frustrated that I've made progress and I'm sticking with it and even worse this over a ****ing slice of cheese.

If I had money I'd move back out again but I can't I have to live at home and deal with this every day.
  • reojames
    reojames Posts: 96
    Options
    Ouch! You really do need a hug. As a dad, I have made mistakes like your dad made yesterday, and I'm sorry you had to go through it. Parent's can be very hurtful! Mine were, at times. But be proud of your accomplishment! You've done a fantastic job and I bet you'll continue to do a great job. I don't even know you, but I'm proud of you!
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    it really sucks when the food police are relatives, as long as you see that the restrictions he placed on you is absurd. Keep doing exactly as your doing and when you win in the end you can tell him to kiss your perfectly shaped round *kitten*

:flowerforyou:
  • JessMySize
    JessMySize Posts: 130
    Options
    Cheer up, maybe your Dad not giving you support should be your motivation to say that you could do it. Prove him wrong. :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    O_o I'm sorry your family is so mean.

You can't let it get to you. I wouldn't be doing anyone's laundry if they were that rude, though. Or I would 'accidentally' mix the reds and the whites. Whoops.

Best of luck. Congrats on the loss so far.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    You HAVE accomplished something, remember that.

My family can be a bit like this. They want to restrict my eating, becuase I'm fat, but they eat as much of more. It's fine for them though, they're thinner. It's so hypocritical. How would your dad like it if you followed him around and demanded that he stick to your idea of how many calories he should have?
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Most people have no idea how to lose weight properly (and it looks like your Dad doesn't) but you are doing the right thing. I know it's hard but tune him out, you are doing great!
  • frando
    Options
    Thanks for all your support.

My Mum came in afterwards and said that since there's actually been a result then I should stay with it.

I'm going to keep on going *nods* and show him *nods further*
  • gitnfit2
    gitnfit2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Wow normally I just read through and see what all is going on but have to say that was a rough one and kudos to you for sticking with the plan and venting here verses other ways that may cause more trouble and staying strong with your choices. It’s never an easy task to make ourselves to do the right things but you are and it will pay off. Sending a hug your way.....
  • STICKYFINGAHZ
    Options
    Your Dad sounds like he has a lot of pride and he thinks you wont be able to do it. which is why even when you shown him your efforts/progress he just laughed and made a silly comment. Ignore the negative comments, they will do you no good. Don't give people the privledge of controlling your thoughts and emotions, they are yours. You choose to be happy. Happiness doesnt rain on you or happen to you, it is a state of mind. Stay Positive and keep it up.

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt308/420swimmah/Noteasybutworthit.jpg
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Oh hun, I'm sorry ((hugs))

When I lived with my Mum, she wasn't all that supportive at times. Sometimes she was, and was overzelous in her compliments, but other times, she would jeapordise my success. Complain about me not making left over food (I weigh all of my food out, only cook what I need. Less chance of over-eating or wasting food). Throw it all in my face if I was having a cheat meal etc. It hurt more because I always had a bad relationship with her, and all I ever wanted was to be good enough, to make her proud, to show I was worth something.

I digress.

I understand, hun. I'm sorry he hurt your feelings. He was out of order. I know it's not much, but WE'RE proud of you.

<3
  • indygirl2012
    Options
    Honey you take every bit of good advise and run with it! People like your father are only angry that they have not met certain goals or aspirations for themselves and taking it out on others (you). Do NOT let him get you down. Right now it sounds like you need to keep your distance from him. He thinks you are going to fail and he is going to try to make you fail!!! Don't let him! Sneak your mom into your room and tell her how you're doing if she'll listen. Let her be your ally, you will need one on this journey esp if you have someone that negative living that close to you!!! HUGS
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    ***Hugs*** Stay with it...sorry you have to put up with your DAD. Maybe someday you will be able to move out on your own ... If you want a piece of cheese...Just take it when he isn't around to embarrass you. Nobody should have to deal with that. He is not very supportive...Hang in there..You are doing great! :smile:
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I'm just feeling so detested and pointless and ****. I thought had accomplished something but I obviously haven't. What's the point any more???

Don't you EVER let another human being determine YOUR feelings. Whats the point? The point is you've lost weight (I have no idea how much a stone is!) and sometimes in life, you just have to be proud of you!

You say you've accomplished nothing? How is losing weight and being excited about that NOTHING?

Unfortunately, you cannot pick your family, however you have picked MFP as a means to take control of your health and you are doing GREAT!

Keep it up and stand tall and smile big!

HUGS!!!