Calf cramps while sleeping... VERY painful!!

Options
13»

Replies

• momornana
    momornana Posts: 10
    Options
    Check your Vitamin D level. I went to nutritionist because of major leg cramps at night. Bananas weren't helping. Found out my vitamin D level was extremely low. Normal level is 30-100, the recommended level is 60. Mine was 14. I knew vitamin D was good for the bones, but unaware it is also for muscle health. It's quite common now that most of us use so much sunscreen. No sunrays, No D. Hope you're sleeping better
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the wonderful suggestions!! I will be sure to drink more water and to eat more potassium rich foods. I really appreciate all of your great ideas!!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend tonic water as a remedy.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Along with the extra vitamins a foam roller really helps!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, and stretching especially before bed. I get them so bad I am debilitated (sp?) and they are sore for days. Potassium didn't help me, but doesn't mean it won't help you.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    How's your blood pressure? I've heard that it can be associated with that.

I used to get them ALL the time. It was horrible and I'd wake up in the night crying out from the pain (embarrassing when this has happened not in my own house!) I never found out for sure the actual cause, but I do know that my blood pressure was quite high then (~145/95 @ 16/17 years old, and a healthy weight!) and since then I have reduced it, (mainly through exercise) to around 120/75 and I can't remember the last time I had them. It's been a good couple of years at least, and I've not even had them once in that time!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Try a homeopathic called CUPRUM METALLICUM. I found it at Earthfare other natural food stores probably have it or online. I had tried everything from drinking more water, to increasing potassium, magnesium, stretching, rolling my calves, etc. Since beginning to take this stuff the cramping has stopped completely.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    How's your blood pressure? I've heard that it can be associated with that.

I used to get them ALL the time. It was horrible and I'd wake up in the night crying out from the pain (embarrassing when this has happened not in my own house!) I never found out for sure the actual cause, but I do know that my blood pressure was quite high then (~145/95 @ 16/17 years old, and a healthy weight!) and since then I have reduced it, (mainly through exercise) to around 120/75 and I can't remember the last time I had them. It's been a good couple of years at least, and I've not even had them once in that time!

The blood pressure is typically low 120/80 , but last time it was up a bit... 139/90. I think it is ok...