Beer!

Thank you ' my fitness pal ' where have you been all my life.

This site is great, just what I need and has made me see the errors of my ways. Portion control and too much beer, it's really that simple lol.

I am very active and thought I was eating reasonably well. I lost weight before whilst still drinking beer but couldnt understand why the weight crept back on. Seeing my calorie consumption without the beer as calculated today I can see why.

I just figured if I consumed so many calories without drinking then I dread to think what it would have been if I had a few beers on top!

Gosh it has really opened my eyes!

wondered if anyone else has a habit of drinking a few too many units and got any tips on cutting down?

Anyway hope to make lots of online friends and we can all motivate each other.

Anna ;)

Replies

• littlealp
    littlealp Posts: 12
    Happy days
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Welcome! Yes, actually seeing how many calories you are eating (and drinking!) can be pretty eye opening, especially when you thought you didn't really eat very much.

As far as the beer situation.... you can switch to light beers which have less calories. Sometimes I am willing to do that and sometimes I am just not. Most light beers need something like a lime to help add to the flavor or I might as well be drinking bubbly water! You might try alternating your beers with glasses of water. Not only will it help cut down on calories but you'll stay hydrated, too!
  • usalia
    usalia Posts: 1 Member
    hi there... so yes i am a beer drinker. not a everyday day drinker but i love to kick back on a sunday bbq and throw back a few. so what i do is add them in to my calorie count. yes i do it is a must. one thing i found important is to eat better and things with less fat and calories that day.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    I love my beer but I've always been a sipper. Takes me hours to finish a bottle! I don't usually have it with a meal, so I'm usually occupied doing something else, like socializing/reading/watching a movie. And the distraction keeps me from downing it like I would when eating a main course.
  • littlealp
    Thanks lots for the tips, I will defo try it.

I am also limiting to twice a week, I am an ex publican so its become a habit a few nights a week lol.

Thanks lots ;)
  • littlehi
    littlehi Posts: 1
    I started drinking vodka with diet tonic instead of beer most of the time, I think one drink is less than 100 calories. And I also limited myself to drinks Thursday-Sunday. Wow - that sounds really bad! Good luck!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Yes - it's terrible! I gained soooo much weight when I turned 21 (drinking Budweiser didn't help!). I've since switched to vodka and diet coke if i'm going to have more than 2 cocktails - it saves a few calories (although in hindsight, probably not much in the long run when going out all night!). If I'm only going to have a drink or 2, beer it is! I try to stick to light beer, or make it a really, really good beer :wink: Feel free to add me, if you'd like!
  • spells1977
    spells1977 Posts: 146 Member
    Mmmmmmm beer :drinker:

My biggest problem is beer!!

Do you like any other drinks? Such as spirits? You can use a slim line tonic or low cal mixer. I think if you can still lose weight and still have a couple of drinks each week then there's nowt wrong with that :happy:

I've just signed up for a 30 day no alcohol challenge if anyone wants to join us? You'll find it in the motivation and support forum.

I'm only 3 days in and already struggling LOL :sad: Typical that our Summer has just made an appearance too which just makes me crave BBQs and beer all the more!!!
  • littlealp
    Thanks for more tips and feedback everyone. Yes there is definetly something about the sun that makes you want to drink!
    I gritted my teeth and took my dog for an 8.30pm walk instead lol ... it worked - im still sober ;)

Sadly I like Cider and Lager, Budweiser is my worst enemy lol. I like Coors light or however its spelt, is that any better?

Anyway, yes weekend only girl from now on. Wish me luck!
  • karadawn14
    karadawn14 Posts: 41
    I onllllly ever drink coors light. It is 102 calories which i can jusitfy once in awhile. But even knowing that I have to log it makes me step back and think twice at least half of the time.

Good luck! Alcohol can be hard to cut
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    mmm after the thread about garlic is bad for you and this about beer, I now want beer and garlic fries! :grumble:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Try seeking out more expensive beers in styles you enjoy, and make it more of an 'event' to have a pint with dinner. I homebrew, so I know the perils of weight loss while enjoying beer... but you really have to decide what is more important - your weight loss efforts or your nightly beers. For me, the weight loss is more important right now, so I keep my drinking to the weekends, with meals only. I will either drink homebrew or my husband and I will share a bomber of something unique or strong flavoured.

Treating beer like the Nectar of The Gods, and not just a fizzy drunk-maker can really help.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Beer...Beer ...BEER... well lager... Love it and it is my down fall.... Have lost 16lb but it would have been much quicker without beer lol... I do try to work it off in the gym... But I like nothing better than going for a tea time beer on a Friday after work.... But I still lose.. Just have to be a bit more careful with food and exercise xx feel free to add me x
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    I usually drink a glass of water between beers. Or, a good idea is to pour the beer in a frosty mug and load it up with ice cubes. Waters down the beer when ice melts and it stretches out the can (or bottle) further. Also, have you tried the 64 cal; 55 calorie, or even 54 calorie beers yet? I always order them so you can have 2 beers for the same calorie level that you would with a coors lite, mich lite, etc. :drinker:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member

Treating beer like the Nectar of The Gods, and not just a fizzy drunk-maker can really help.

Have I told you lately I love you?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    The OP makes it sound like drinking beer is a bad thing.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member

I LOVE YOU MORE.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member

I LOVE YOU MORE.

HAHA, this made me laugh!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member

I LOVE YOU MORE.

Road trip to CO for home brew and MK...totally worth it.
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    I have switched to drinking Vodka and Soda Water to maintain some semblance of a social life, but I miss lager, I really do.