My Grandfather called me fat

Options
2»

Replies

• Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my dad was like that. He was seriously old school. When I was 5 months pregnant with my first daughter, he told me I was "getting fat." I just said, "You ain't seen nothin' yet, Pops."

It's their generation. Nineteen pounds is a lot. Be proud of that.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Negativity lives everywhere.
    The more you listen to it the stronger a hold it has on your life and goals. There is nothing good that comes from looking at dark side. Deflect it out of your mind and filter out the people who are feeding it to you. Good comes from light.

-Heather Frey

this is one of my favorite quotes regarding negativity
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My grandfather has never called me fat, but I know he thinks it.

In 2006, I had serious jaw surgery and had my jaw wired shut for two months. I could barely eat after that. I lost a stupid amount of weight and looked like a walking skeleton.

He said to me "You look great! You really needed to lose that weight."

I was normal then.

Yeeeeah...grandfather's have no tact, lol.
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    tell him he's getting old and to shut his pie hole

+1000
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    "hopefully you'll still be around when I reach goal weight" might shut him up.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yeah the general rule of thumb is kids and old people tell it how it is.

i mean you think you're overweight don't you? i'm assuming so because your avatar says "fabulous fat", so why be surprised when others see you the same.
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    My father told me I would have to lose weight to ever get married, I was 16, newly diagnosed with depression, a size 8. My brother told me that only the hot girls didn't have to play games to get attention, so I'd have to figure something out, I was a size 10. My mom, well, there have been too many comments positive and negative from her (she's got body image issues and reflects them on others).

Those comments hurt a lot. Negativity has NEVER worked as fuel for me. The only way I can get over it and move on is with prayer. Asking to get over it, and praying to love them. Nobody is perfect, and those we deeply love have a greater ability to hurt us with flippant comments. And it sucks.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    "Chubby" was my dad's nickname for me growing up. He wasn't trying to be mean. I am sure your grandfather wasn't either. You can't let other people's perception of you define how you look at yourself. Took me 15 years of being overweight to get that. Hopefully the concept comes a bit easier for you
  • seonf
    seonf Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My grandmother called me fat, I think old people just don't have the same sensativity that we have because they come from a different time. But I wasn't dieting then, so it would have put me off.

But on the bright side I lost 55 kg and 3 years later before she passed away I went back to Scotland (she is in Scotland) and she commented on how diferent I looked. So it's worth it in the end.

If I can do it, anyone can.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It's hard to ignore what a loved one says. Remember this there are 8 billion people in the world don't let 1 ruin your day. : ) Good luck on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • tweston58
    tweston58 Posts: 3
    Options
    Both my grandmothers are like this. One of them actually tries to come up with exercises for me to do. Anyone want to go roll a hay bale with me? It used to bother me a lot and I guess it still does a little bit, but I have come to the conclusion that I could way 90 pounds and they would both still think I was fat. Never mind that I have 2 college degrees, a career, am on my feet financially, and am relatively healthy. All either one of them ever see is my weight. I am trying to learn to ignore them and focus on me and how well I am doing.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    My father in law said something as rude to me. He watched us on Christmas via web cam. He recently told me if I didnt eat 7,000 calories at a time I would be sooooo fat. (his wife out weighs me?) He eats any thing he wants and doesnt gain a lb. Honestly I cant even imagine 7.000 calories in one sitting? Im not sure I even served that much to tell the truth. lol In any case, yes it hurt my feelings. But its really none of his business. Im sure when we go visit in Sept. he will complain I dont eat enough. He is 80. If he makes any remarks about me being fat, I will come back with his drinking or his smoking. And let him know he can kiss where I cant.... yup you got it right, he can kiss my elbow. :noway:
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    yeah the general rule of thumb is kids and old people tell it how it is.

i mean you think you're overweight don't you? i'm assuming so because your avatar says "fabulous fat", so why be surprised when others see you the same.

I agree with this. Granted, it isn't the kindest thing to hear, but the fact is, you are overweight and you know you are overweight, so how can you be shocked when a relative tells you you are? It might be somewhat painful, but I would sooner have the truth than a lie.
  • tweston58
    tweston58 Posts: 3
    Options
    It is all in how they say it. If they are expressing concern and trying to show show support that is one thing, but if they are just saying it to be rude and hurtful that is different. Plus, if you are trying to lose weight and are constantly being remind
    ed that you are still fat it can be relly depressing. Am I fat? Yes. Do I need you to keep reminding me about it? NO!