watching my families suicide

Options
So I never really realized how bad of shape my parents are in until this weekend. I guess it's because I wasn't paying attention to my own health and now I am. My mom and my dad both are easily 150 plus lbs overweight. My mom is a diabetic and she's not following the diet she should be following at all. My dad drinks 18 beers plus a night 4-5 nights a week. This weekend I have been visiting home. Saturday morning we went out to Ryan's buffet for breakfast. My dad brought back one plate filled entirely with hashbrowns and covered with 4 fried eggs. He had a second plate with 4 biscuits covered in gravy, 10 pieces of bacon and a huge slice of ham. He smothered all of it with ketchup and tobasco and ate every last bite. Later that day we went to Ocharleys for dinner and he had a spinach and artichoke dip appetizer to himself, a 9 oz steak, 1/2 slap of ribs, a loaded baked potato and a salad covered in ranch. Like I said, that night he took down about 20 beers. My mother's eating habits are no better. Neither one of them get any kind of exercise. They can't. They are unable to walk from one room to another without being completely out of breath. Getting up and down is incredibly painful.

I feel like I am watching their suicides. I tried talking to my dad the other night. We were sitting outside. He was smoking a cigar and drinking a beer. I was rough housing with the dog. He said, "I don't have much quantity of life left, I'm sure going to have quality". He said I could eat better, lose some weight, and get in better shape but my lungs are full of silica and I've already lost coworkers. I have about 10 years left its a lost cause. He doesn't want to change. They don't want to change. I don't want to lose my parents.

What do I do?

Hezz

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    It's hard, but the only person you can be responsible for is yourself (and your children if/when you have them). You can try and share the knowledge you're gaining, invite them for walks, but fundamentally, they are grown adults and responsible for themselves.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    That's a truly terrible situation. Have you flat out told them that you aren't ready to be planning their funerals? How blunt have you been? I've found that feelings might get hurt at first, but it's better than death in the long run.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Love them. That's all you can do, darling. They're old enough to be set in their ways- they are not going to change, no matter how much you want them to. All you can do is accept that and love them with all that you can for as long as you can.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Sad reality... But that's just it. They are aware of it, not willing to change, there's probably nothing you can do about it really. Enjoy the times you spend with them, and... hope for a heart attack, much quicker than years of fighting crappy diabetes consequences, or cigarette related diseases... I've seen it happen, not nice. Sounds heartless, but I found that saying to my mother that the best thing she can hope for at this point is to die of a heart attack can change some perspectives.

You can try leading by example, but if they truly don't want to change, you might only be torturing yourself. Make sure whatever happens that even if you fail at motivating them, that you don't lose your own motivation. You are making the right choice, make sure you see it through your goal :)

Good luck!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem with my parents, especially my mother, she has quite a few health issues, both mentally and physically. Earlier this year she was in the hospital because her electrolytes and nutrients were so low from the horrid eating habits her, my step dad and much younger brother have. All she drinks is pepsi and powerade (she claims the second to be super healthy) and eats a couple bananas a day, other than that its chips, chocolate and other random processed boxed food that can sit near her bed so she doesn't have to go to the kitchen. She doesn't really have a problem with alcohol, but health wise the pepsi is doing no better for her. I know exactly how you feel, I literally saw my mother hooked up to machines with doctors buzzing around due to all this.

The truth is there is nothing you can do. I begged I pleaded and I cried by her side, urging her to change, even if it was a gradual change. She made a bunch of big promises. Now the only change is its summer and iced cream is added on the list of bad things, she claims its for her calcium...

No one will change if they don't want to, its horrible to think about but in the end I had to distance myself because it hurt too much.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wow so sorry this is happening to you.

i dont know what you can say to them, but what if you wrote in a a letter to them saying something to the effect of what you are saying here?

i dont know many parents who wouldnt be affected by their child asking how to help save them.

good luck
  • Melinda91
    Melinda91 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! My dad is like your mom. He's diabetic but eats whatever he wants, doesn't pay attention to sugar and doesn't exercise. He has already had open heart surgery too but refuses to eat healthy and exercise. It breaks my heart.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    So I never really realized how bad of shape my parents are in until this weekend. I guess it's because I wasn't paying attention to my own health and now I am. My mom and my dad both are easily 150 plus lbs overweight. My mom is a diabetic and she's not following the diet she should be following at all. My dad drinks 18 beers plus a night 4-5 nights a week. This weekend I have been visiting home. Saturday morning we went out to Ryan's buffet for breakfast. My dad brought back one plate filled entirely with hashbrowns and covered with 4 fried eggs. He had a second plate with 4 biscuits covered in gravy, 10 pieces of bacon and a huge slice of ham. He smothered all of it with ketchup and tobasco and ate every last bite. Later that day we went to Ocharleys for dinner and he had a spinach and artichoke dip appetizer to himself, a 9 oz steak, 1/2 slap of ribs, a loaded baked potato and a salad covered in ranch. Like I said, that night he took down about 20 beers. My mother's eating habits are no better. Neither one of them get any kind of exercise. They can't. They are unable to walk from one room to another without being completely out of breath. Getting up and down is incredibly painful.

I feel like I am watching their suicides. I tried talking to my dad the other night. We were sitting outside. He was smoking a cigar and drinking a beer. I was rough housing with the dog. He said, "I don't have much quantity of life left, I'm sure going to have quality". He said I could eat better, lose some weight, and get in better shape but my lungs are full of silica and I've already lost coworkers. I have about 10 years left its a lost cause. He doesn't want to change. They don't want to change. I don't want to lose my parents.

What do I do?

Hezz

I wish I can provide words of comfort but the words I can provide to you may not change your situation the way I would like. Some people at some point have made up their mind of how they need to live their lives. I lost my father but not to illness since he was actually a really healthy guy who participated in sports, and I feel the pain of losing a love one. Best you can do is encourage them as much as possible, and make them not take their life for granted. Why don't you cook healthy meals for them and show them that they can have good tasting foods while getting healthier? Why don't you ask them to accompany you for a walk and get them a bit more active? Telling at times is not enough but actions usually work out well.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    the only thing you can really do is lead by example. mentioning it to them will not do anything, until they want to make the change for themselves. my dad saw what my wife and I did over the last year and started dieting and losing weight in December, he is now down 90 lbs or so. I am very proud of him. My mom quit smoking in December and haven't had a cigarette since. She still has to work on her diabetes but she will have to make that decision for herself.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem like a "quality" life, as he says, being out of breath simply walking from one room to the next :(
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have noticed people around me too that are committing suicide slowly. These people are very resistant to change. I was one of those people. I don't know if there is anything you can do. I say this out of concern, but they might have a huge health shock that turns their thoughts around. Hopefully it will be reversible or treatable before their weight becomes fatal.

My dad's a huge drinker, and I doubt I can do anything to change that. I've tried, but he's very resistance. Same with his diet. I stopped trying because it strained our relationship terribly.
  • idabug3
    idabug3 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    All you can do is love them and then set the best example you can of a person with healthy eating habits.. I have learned from experience that no one can motivate me but myself. I feel so bad for you, it must be truly painful to watch.:cry:
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    It sounds like your dad has already made up his mind. There is nothing you can really do about their attitude and lifestyle. You can give advice and be a good example but that's about as far as you can go. Being an example of what one can achieve is probably the greatest thing you can do. You're parents have a set lifestyle, routine, and attitude towards their health and eating habits- often times people have to have something MAJOR happen to start thinking about changing it.

Example: My family is not the healthiest bunch in the world. My dad was overweight and has COPD. He couldn't hardly walk to the mailbox and back without a problem breathing, and was actually prescribed an oxygen tank (which he didn't use). He had it in his mind that he was going to die in about 3 years. It took his grandson being born to light a fire under him to change his attitude and in all aspects his life. He lost over 60 lbs and has been able to not only walk to the mail box but walk on the treadmill for over half an hour plus exercise with weight training. Both my sister and mother have started taking their health into consideration after seeing how my dad has succeeded.

It's never too late or too early to make good decisions. You could remind your family of that, ask them what kind of quality they are living now with not being able to hardly move, and maybe explain your fears of losing them before their time. Good luck with everything you go through. I hope that your family will see that healthy living isn't hard and it's well worth it.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Everyone loses their parents. All you can do is try and motivate them and if they dont want to change then spend as much time with them as you can now while they are here. Your dad is an alcoholic btw, have you tried to get him to AA?
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    I wish I had some wise words to share. All I can offer is many hopes and well wishes that they find the strength to follow your good influence.

I know most of us on here have family members, friends, even co-workers that we wish we could reach out to just the right way to motivate them to change. But the truth is, we all find our own motivations in our own time.

What really hit home for my mom was when I told her how important my grandmother was to me growing up. She's not a vision of perfect health or anything, but it got her eating better and moving thinking that my potential future children need her just as much as the women in our family have always needed their grams. I have still yet to make her any of those mythical grandkids, and probably won't, but it made her put down the Kool Kings and ranch dressing long enough to experience real untainted broccoli.

Much love and hugs to you and yours. I hope you find a way to help them.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I relate too well to this. I've been begging and pleading with my mom to get her to go to Curves with me. She is over 240 pounds and like 5'5' diabetic, has sleep apnea and is on medication for high blood pressure and cholesterol. I honeslty worry some mornings that she won't wake up. But she keeps making excuses about money and no time. It brings me to tears because I'm so frustrated. Yeah I know what it's like to have no money but I still find it to go to the gym. I know what it's like to have no time but you have to make time. I don't know what I can do. I love her and want her with me for years to come but I feel like she thinks because she's 54 there's no point or something.
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sadly there is not much you can do. Until HE / THEY have the right mindset, there is not much anyone else can do. I have fought weight basically all my life, went years with undiagnosed thyroid condition. I yo yoed for YEARS, even denying that I was THAT much overweight. (at 325) THIS time my mindset is completely different from ANY other time before and I'm really seeing success. THis time I do not allow myself any excuses and answer ONLY to myself. My mom likes to take over for me and tell me all I am doing wrong when she knows I'm losing, and before that has put me off and actually caused me to stop. THIS time, I let her have her say, tell myself I MUST know what i'm doing, and go on about my business lol. BUT I digress. Thing is, UNTIL they make that decision and have the mindset, it's not going to happen.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    the only thing you can really do is lead by example. mentioning it to them will not do anything, until they want to make the change for themselves. my dad saw what my wife and I did over the last year and started dieting and losing weight in December, he is now down 90 lbs or so. I am very proud of him. My mom quit smoking in December and haven't had a cigarette since. She still has to work on her diabetes but she will have to make that decision for herself.
    [/quote

^^^That exactly!
  • rooster70460
    rooster70460 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for you and your family. It's like they have just given up. I do not have any words of wisdom but I just wanted you to know I will be praying for you and your family. No matter what...don't give up on yourself, continue to love them and pray for them.

I'm proud of you!!

Colette
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    That's a very tough situation. I feel sad just reading your post.

How long has your dad known about his lungs and the prognosis? If he only recently found out, then he may be feeling shock and denial. The same thing might apply to your mom and her diabetes.

It sounds like your parents have been thinking a lot about death and dying, judging by what your dad said. You can't control what they do with their bodies, but you can offer emotional support and a sympathetic ear. The best advice I can give you is to seek out social support, both for your parents and for yourself. This is a difficult road to walk, and you need to look after your own health as well.

:flowerforyou: I can only offer my sympathy. I'm sure many MFP users are in the same boat.