Is there anyone just now starting Couch to 5k?

Options
124»

Replies

• andreashawty100
    Options
    Has anyone lost weight?
  • chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    Anyone who is putting it off because they feel on show running past people, I felt like that when I did it last time so I ran late at night. It's not ideal but you can do it for the first couple of weeks until you get your confidence. After a few weeks I was running up and down Salford Quays at lunch-time from work, so I obviously gained confidence fairly quickly.
  • chezileigh
    Options
    I lost weight last time, it took a few weeks before anything came off, I think because I was increasing a bit of muscle bulk, but when it started coming off it fell off for a few weeks, then stabilised again. The changes to your body tone is really nice as well as weight though.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    DO IT !!!! The C25K program is great.

6 months ago I could barely run a bath .... now I have competed in a 5k event and can easily run 6-7kms (well I could before I stuffed my knee) I am hoping to get back into it next week and start the B210K program.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I have the app on my phone but havent had the courage to try it. I am hesitant about jogging in public - what if i fall? what if i get too far from home? can you tell I have anxiety issues? :) And its been so freaking hot around here that I would die if I ran outside. Any words of reassurance would be nice. is it okay that I friend you to keep in touch about this?

Some apps like ' ease into 5 K' tell you when your half way so uou can then turn around a come back. It also tells you an average pace and deprecate average paces for walking and running.

You can do it, if necessary do each week twice. Sooo many people felt the same way and yet can now run for enjoyment.
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    I started Couch to 5k last week so I am now on week 2. I have always hated running but I LOVE doing C25K! I've enjoyed it so much have done it more times during the week than it recommends (I was even out at 11:15pm last night!).

Good luck to everyone starting the challenge and to those considering it, give it a try, you won't regret it!
  • chezileigh
    Options
    Just done my first run, I'm using a slightly different training program and have started at the second stage so 1 min runs and 1 minute walks. It was fine, hauling the dog along behind me whilst he's trying to drink puddles didn't make it any easier, but I do feel better for it.

Good luck to everyone else!
  • nefbaker
    nefbaker Posts: 79
    Options
    hi there! feel free to add me. i started last night and man oh man do my shins hurt! guess i should have stretched!

If it's your shins, it is more likely your shoes. It is important to have the right shoe, especially if you pronate (roll your ankle one way or the other) and shin splints are nothing to sneeze at....Make sure you have good shoes - or at least to start out, purchase higher end insoles to go in your older shoes.

Keep running.... :)
  • Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Just done my first run, I'm using a slightly different training program and have started at the second stage so 1 min runs and 1 minute walks. It was fine, hauling the dog along behind me whilst he's trying to drink puddles didn't make it any easier, but I do feel better for it.

Good luck to everyone else!

I'm glad I'm not the only whose dog is left than helpful. Mine was stopping every 50ft to roll in the grass last night.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    OK, so drumroll please.... Week 1 Day 1 has officially been completed!

So, it's only one day, but it was still a major accomplishment for me. Looking forward to improving on Day 2. Plus, by then (Friday), I will have upgraded my cell phone to a much better one. This means being able to use the MFP and C25K phone apps. Yay!

Hope all of you had a day full of accomplishments, NSVs, and general happiness as well! :happy:
  • mojosister
    mojosister Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just started, and on day 2 - week 2. Would really love to add some new friends for support! Working towards a 5k at the end of September.
  • ssbarfarkle
    ssbarfarkle Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    What C25K app does anyone use? I have "Run 5K by Lucious Kwok & Kasten Searles" 2011 Felt Tip Inc
    I don't even think its an option to get anymore. Since I haven't started yet I thought I'd see what anyone recommends.
    Thanks!
  • Trishajac
    Trishajac Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    This is such an inspiring thread.... I just started to add some interval jogging with my walking ... and I remembered reading about the couch to 5k being used..... I may just check this out further! Thanks!!

:flowerforyou:
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    So, I finished Week 1 today. Very proud of myself! I think it was a little too difficult for me to safely move on, though. So I am going to repeat it next week. Obviously, I had not been doing enough cardio!

And thanks for the point towards the Zen Labs C25K app. The free version is elegantly simple, and just what I needed!
  • emotionalharlequin
    Options
    I started C25K back in March, and I have to say it really is bloody brilliant! I never went past week 3 (pulled/tore my right calf and left hamstring muscles), but idrc because I gained a new love for running! I shall be starting again in a few weeks, and I can't wait!
    Take your time with it - use the weeks as guidelines. If you find you can't move on to the next week as soon as you hoped then don't worry so much - people move at their own paces. I found it helps to make one week last for two weeks so your body can adapt to it and the next week won't be much of a shock.

The main thing with this is to have fun! Love the run, don't hate it! And love the feeling of being near your deathbed when you feel as though you can't run anymore, it's brilliant! If anyone's doing it to help with fat loss, then don't expect amazing results. I, personally, had no results but I often read online that people did lose inches and pounds. I suppose it really depends on the person and the amount of fat they carry. (I only have 5-10lbs left to lose so it would be harder for me to lose fat than for someone who has more lose.)

Good luck, guys!
  • luvmycats6197
    luvmycats6197 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just did week 1 day 1 today. Bought some good running shoes and found a basic stop watch in my house to use. I don't like carrying my phone or wearing headsets when I'm walking / running...