What are the benefits of Almond Milk?

Options
Kai85
Kai85 Posts: 440 Member
I read somewhere that you should drink Almond Milk versus Skim Milk? I tried it today and it tastes fine. The only real difference I noticed was that it didn't have as much protein as regular milk?

Anyway just hoping to look at if I should continue with Almond Milk or go back to regular stuff?

Replies

• vlynnvale
    vlynnvale Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Personally I think the main benefit is that it tastes better, haha , but it's nice that the calories are lower than regular milk too.

I've also read that it has a lot of Vitamin D & E.

"Almond Milk is great for your skin, because almonds are full of Vitamin E. One glass of Almond Milk gives you 1/2 of the Vitamin E that you need in a day. And Vitamin E is important because it protects your skin from sun damage, moisturizes your skin and gives you an anti-aging boost."
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Almond milk has fewer calories, particularly the unsweetened variety.
  • Kai85
    Kai85 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I might have to keep an eye out for the unsweetened version as the one I bought seemed to be similar in cals to skim milk.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you're lactose intolerant Almond Milk solves that problem. Get the unsweetened vanilla - it's 40 calories per cup.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I dislike the taste of straight cows milk and I'm somewhat lactose intolerant. A small amount in cereal is ok but anymore than that and it's agony on my tummy. Almond milk taste great and has a good amount of calcium, when I'm feeling like a treat half plain and half dark chocolate almond milk hits the spot.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    it has more calcium than regular milk. it doesn't cause digestive issues. it tastes better.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Lower calories, especially in the unsweetened varieties! Twice the calcium of cow's milk! Not contributing to the dairy industry!
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's non-dairy (if that's a concern) and it tastes better. Almond milk has less sugar than skim milk and more iron, but it also has more fat and a little less vitamins. There are a few trade offs, but I like using almond or coconut milk myself.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I have to watch my cholesterol that's why I choose almond milk instead of cows milk
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I am a huge fan of unsweetened almond milk.

I like it for the reduced calories and because milk just grosses me out.

I do not like the flavour as much in cereal and coffee. However, I no longer put milk or cream in coffee. It is great to drink too and more refreshing imo.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    It's delicious and you have the added benefit of not consuming another animal's breast milk (disgusting). :P
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    We drink almond milk because it tastes the best of the dairy alternatives and we don't like cows milk. Plus, cow milk has the whole issue with added hormones and all sorts of not so fun stuff.

If we are buying it, we like the Blue Diamond brand. However, if you have a good blender, you can make your own almond milk--It is super simple. Just soak 1 Cup of raw almonds overnight, drain & rinse then toss them into your blender with 3-4 cups of filtered water. Blend and then strain through a nut-milk bag. (I have also used a fine-mesh strainer with some coffee filters--works in a pinch, but I don't recommend it--or a stuffing bag that I found at Bed Bath & Beyond for cheap)

It will keep for about a week, which is as long as the carton stuff stays for once you open it. If you like it sweeter, you can always add a couple of dates to the soaked almonds and water. You can also add a dash of vanilla extract if you want that flavor as well.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you should drink Almond Milk versus Skim Milk? I tried it today and it tastes fine. The only real difference I noticed was that it didn't have as much protein as regular milk?

Anyway just hoping to look at if I should continue with Almond Milk or go back to regular stuff?

Only drink the Unsweetened kind! The benefits are in the sugar content. Milk, even skim, has a lot of sugar... same with Sweetend Almond milk. Also, Almond Milk has "good" fat, which fills you up. I believe there is more calcium in almond milk as well. I switched over a year ago and I lost 3lbs in a month from just doing that :)
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk!
    And if calories are a concern, keep an eye out for Flax Milk. It is 25 calories per cup (unsweetened variety).
    It tastes just as good as almond milk, in my opinion.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I think its safe to drink the unsweetened kind, I drink it and its half the calories of semi-skimmed milk. The unsweetened kind taste like crap on its because there's nothing to compliment the taste of almonds, but I guess it might be fine in smoothies.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I use unsweetened and I like that it has a bunch more calcium and less cals than milk. Almond milk has allowed me to reach my calcium goals each day which is nice. Tastes good too!
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk is very low in calories and has a little vitamin E
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I love the unsweetened vanilla almond milk. If you stop and think about cow's milk, the main purpose for it is so that calfs will quadruple their birth weight within the first year. I don't need to be doing that! Also, the placement of the udders under the body, below where the cow urinates and defecates is just repelling to me. Logically I know that the udders are cleaned and the milk goes through pasteurization, but it still makes me shudder.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    The ONLY reason I switched to almond milk was because of the sugar content. If regular milk had some version where there wasn't 8-12 g of sugar per cup, I'd probably drink it instead. I like almond milk--Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla--but I do miss 2% milk...I still have it on occasion, bc almond milk doesn't really give you anything for protein--only 1 g per cup.
  • Michelleypoo82
    Options
    SOY MILK! Haha. I almost bought almond milk once, but then I noticed it barely has any protein. Soy milk is awesome: low calories, lots of protein, and double the calcium of cow's milk. It's also yummy.