What are the benefits of Almond Milk?

Options
2»

Replies

• LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    SOY MILK! Haha. I almost bought almond milk once, but then I noticed it barely has any protein. Soy milk is awesome: low calories, lots of protein, and double the calcium of cow's milk. It's also yummy.

Oh YES SOY milk with all those LOVELY Phytostrogens to aid in killing your reproductive system and giving you cancer. Woo!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    SOY MILK! Haha. I almost bought almond milk once, but then I noticed it barely has any protein. Soy milk is awesome: low calories, lots of protein, and double the calcium of cow's milk. It's also yummy.

Oh YES SOY milk with all those LOVELY Phytostrogens to aid in killing your reproductive system and giving you cancer. Woo!

Actually, unless you have a thyroid problem, soy in your diet is nothing to worry about.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

Actually, unless you have a thyroid problem, soy in your diet is nothing to worry about.

Actually you are 100% incorrect. Yes if you have a thyroid problem it is doubly harmful, but UNFERMENTED soy (which 99% of soy consumed in the US is) is TREMENDOUSLY bad for your body. Soy is freaking toxic, go read up on things before you comment.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options

Actually, too much phytoestrogens have been linked with all sorts of negative effects on your body, including weight gain and cancer. The only thing that provides balance to excess estrogen in the body is progesterone, which is made in the corpus luteum on the ovaries. Also, phytoestrogens have been found in high quantities in fruits and veggies sprayed with pesticides, plastic, and meat that has been hormonally treated. Also found in milk and eggs that are non organic. Adding too much soy can be a problem if you are not ovulating, on birth control medication, and don't eat organic.

The benefits of Almond milk are that I do not have to worry about how much estrogen is added to my body.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

Actually you are 100% incorrect. Yes if you have a thyroid problem it is doubly harmful, but UNFERMENTED soy (which 99% of soy consumed in the US is) is TREMENDOUSLY bad for your body. Soy is freaking toxic, go read up on things before you comment.

246signs.jpg

I'll take my chances.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If you're lactose intolerant Almond Milk solves that problem. Get the unsweetened vanilla - it's 40 calories per cup.

Silk's is 35, I think! :)

I'm extremely lactose, and this is something I use every day in my oatmeal, smoothies, and cereal. It's so delicious! Also, it has much more calcium than cow's milk. :)
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    since it is mostly water, you get a hunk of daily water content out of it.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I find it is a little thicker than skim so perfect for cookie dipping :happy:
    Also, it is lower in calories and gives a light nutty flavour to all baked goods. Love :heart: almond milk!
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

Actually, too much phytoestrogens have been linked with all sorts of negative effects on your body, including weight gain and cancer. The only thing that provides balance to excess estrogen in the body is progesterone, which is made in the corpus luteum on the ovaries. Also, phytoestrogens have been found in high quantities in fruits and veggies sprayed with pesticides, plastic, and meat that has been hormonally treated. Also found in milk and eggs that are non organic. Adding too much soy can be a problem if you are not ovulating, on birth control medication, and don't eat organic.

The benefits of Almond milk are that I do not have to worry about how much estrogen is added to my body.

Me love you long time. Thank you for writing all of the above so I didn't have to.
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Well, I dont like to support the dairy industry and I dont want my family drinking cow's milk.
    To the poster that recommended soy milk, too much processed soy is not good for you. My son developed a thyroid problem from consuming too much processed soy and I developed a soy allergy (trips to the ER with my face, lips and hands swollen like balloons).

We now drink almond milk and coconut milk and I bake with hemp or coconut milk. All very good.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Regular almond milk has usually 1 gm protein per cup while fat free dairy about 8 grams.

But if you don't want to drink dairy or soy then almond milk I guess would be your choice.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Less calories woot
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I feel full longer when I have non-animal protine than when I have animal protine so I snack less and eat fewer calories than if I have regular milk. I'm not just saying it because I don't like meat or whatever (I love grilled chicken and steak so I save those for the end of the day) but it truely dose help me feel better.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    <3 it unsweetened and 35 calories! :)