Wanted: Long flowing locks :)

Options
124»

Replies

• TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have baby fine hair, but I have a thick head full of it and it's long (sometimes to the top of my pants, sometimes just to my bra line) and healthy. My hair is generally long enough that at the hair salon, they make me stand up to get a properly even trim at the bottom (it's uneven if they do it when I sit because the chair back changes the angle of the hair). My hair has a natural wave to it, which is more pronounced the shorter my hair is. The waves are also clearer if my hair air dies, whereas if I blow dry it, it will appear very straight.

When I had my hair done for my wedding the stylist even commented on how healthy it was for it's length and baby fine strands. She said normally when she sees people with hair like my type it's like straw when it gets long, but that mine was healthy and silky. So even if the strands are fine, you can grow long hair and have it be healthy--it just takes a little care.

While I'm no expert, I can tell you what I do and it might work for you.

I don't color it and I don't treat it with anything to make it curly or straight.

I don't straighten/iron it or use a hot curling iron on it. Heck, I rarely blow dry it. Usually I shower in the evening because if I shower in the morning I have to use a blow drier to have it dry before I leave the house. Heat is murder on long fine hair for me, so I try to air dry whenever possible. It does take time to air dry though--as little as 20 minutes if the car windows are down and it's a hot day (assuming I don't plan to drive fast--tangle danger), but it's not uncommon for my hair to be damp even over an hour later if I've been inside most of the time. My hair is like a sponge when it comes to water.

I don't shampoo it every day. Some days I only condition (most conditioners also can clean hair). When I do shampoo, I concentrate on my scalp. For conditioner, concentrate on the rest of the hair and especially the tips. I leave my conditioner in for as long as I can and rinse it out as the very last step of the shower.

I brush my hair gently, starting from the bottom and working my way up. This works out the "rats" more easily and less violently. Some knots are better worked out by fingers or with a little conditioner and a wide tooth comb/pick. In general, though I try to just protect it from getting tangled in the first place by pulling all or part of it up.

I'm careful about getting my hair caught in things... car doors, zippers, bolts on the back of chairs, etc. On the same note, I also make sure my hair twisties/bands are gentle (no sharp metal edges). I could do more, like use a satin pillow case (smoother than cotton), but don't. I pull my hair up when I know there is a risk of wind or dangers (like seats in old auditoriums with obnoxious bolts).

I also have a copper bristled brush that's supposed to be good for the scalp.

I don't think shampoo and conditioner brand matters as much as advertisements might make it seem, but for the record I usually use Garnier Fructis. ("Length and strength" or "Sleek and shine" depending on what's on sale).

I don't get my hair cut as often as your average stylist recommends. Namely because I find that they tend to cut too much off when all I ask for is a trim, so over the course of a year it just gets shorter and shorter. Instead I trim up split ends on my own with a pair of very sharp scissors designed for hair, and just go in to a pro when the ends as a whole are uneven or my layers need a little more definition. When I do go in, because my appointments are so far apart now, I give them a bit more leeway in how much they can "trim" off and so I may loose a couple inches at a time when I let them have at it.

I also try not to use very many hair styling products, and this includes hair spray if I can avoid it. When I do use sometime, I try to use as little as I can get away with and make sure to wash and condition it that night.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I think much of what your hair is like is based on genetics, and there's little you can do to change that!

My hair is fine and thin............I used to wear it long (about the middle of my back), and it was cool in the hippy 60's & 70's (ya, I'm THAT old!) As age set in and I started to gray (very young - also hereditary), I began to color......temporary at first, then full bore. I did that for a LONG time...................like 20 yrs......................

About 10 years ago, I cut my hair short - and LOVE it. I have a stylist color my hair now, and she uses excellent products that actually make it look and feel better! I use sulfate-free shampoos, and a Nexxus leave in...........and I love to try those "thickening" products, as they really can make a slight difference.

You have to learn to love what you have...............I hope you find what you need :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I know that my lovely locks will discount this fact: Prenatal pills. Every woman I know that gets pregnant and takes them...their hair just gets better looking.

I think part of this is the crazy hormone party in her body as well though.

I'm going to have to concur on the crazy hormones....I never took prenatal vitamins with either of my kids, and my hair was soo thick and I didn't shed, it felt awesome.

Doesn't help you here, but kind of "bunks" the pre-natal vitamin thing for some.
  • Sammylynn89
    Sammylynn89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    so much advice! thank you!

I usually never blow dry my hair, always let it air dry, and only style it/curl if Im going out. I shampoo and condition every other day normally, but I cant imagine only shampooing only twice a week...I have such oily hair that I'd be afraid it would look grimy all the time. When I condition I only focus on the middle and ends of my hair.

And for those who take prenatal vitamins...I mean, its not going to spot grow hair only on your head...I'm Portuguese and French...I'm really only looking to do something with the hair on my head, not all over, and I've heard that prenatal vitamins specifically make its grow crazy...lol

And coconut oil treatments, what exactly do you do?
  • kreuzen
    kreuzen Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine who has VERY long flowing hair swears by Wen.