Is Being Fat A Disability?

Options

Replies

• Lisa760
    Lisa760 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My husband is disabled. Truly disabled. 90% rating from the VA from injuries sustained while on active military duty. He's also obese because his disabilities left him unable to be physically active for several years. For the last year, he's been busting his *kitten* finding exercises he CAN do without aggravating his previously shattered leg, fused ankle, hip replacement, and countless other issues. He's lost nearly 40 lbs. and his weight loss journey is still going strong. He's my hero and i am so damn proud of him. it pisses me off when I think of someone who's overweight and wants to be considered disabled. No effing way man. It sucks to have extra weight and it makes life difficult - do something about it!
  • kariinbliss
    Options
    Ok, I may get shot for this, but here goes... NOBODY wakes up one morning and weighs 600 pounds. As some people have replied on this topic, they hit about 300 and said WHOA, time to get under control. What happens to those who let themselves get past there? I'm not willing to call them disabled, because at some point they had to notice what was happening to their body and ignored it. If morbid obesity is to be called a disability, it should be temporary and with specific guidelines. Our bodies are NOT meant to be overweight, no matter what the author of the article said. She is in denial, and looking for an income so she can continue her path to self-destruction. All of us who struggle with our weight have a "reason" (excuse) why we got out of control. (my daughter was killed in a car accident, wanna talk about how that can make you half crazy and eat your pain?) However, after 2 years of mourning and working to rebuild my life, I am tackling my weight. I refuse to sit and destroy my health any further because of it. All of us on MFP got to the point where we said, "ENOUGH!" We shouldn't have to support those who aren't there yet or refuse to get there.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the article...but from a legal aspect, no. They couldn't declare being disabled because although they may not be good at manual labor, they would be perfectly performing at a desk job or something of the like. There are points where some become totally unable to move, and then I question it, however I still don't know. I could probably go on an on about both sides.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Ok, I may get shot for this, but here goes... NOBODY wakes up one morning and weighs 600 pounds. As some people have replied on this topic, they hit about 300 and said WHOA, time to get under control. What happens to those who let themselves get past there? I'm not willing to call them disabled, because at some point they had to notice what was happening to their body and ignored it. If morbid obesity is to be called a disability, it should be temporary and with specific guidelines. Our bodies are NOT meant to be overweight, no matter what the author of the article said. She is in denial, and looking for an income so she can continue her path to self-destruction. All of us who struggle with our weight have a "reason" (excuse) why we got out of control. (my daughter was killed in a car accident, wanna talk about how that can make you half crazy and eat your pain?) However, after 2 years of mourning and working to rebuild my life, I am tackling my weight. I refuse to sit and destroy my health any further because of it. All of us on MFP got to the point where we said, "ENOUGH!" We shouldn't have to support those who aren't there yet or refuse to get there.

I agree with you completely...but I'd just like to point out that people may say "it's not a disability because they chose to do it to their body". Well what about people who sustain sports injuries and become paralyzed; it was their choice? Drinking and driving and becoming disabled; their choice, no?
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    A person can choose to not be fat.

I'm sure there are many truly disabled folks out there who would love to choose to not be disabled.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    The ADA and most cases used to say that the obesity is a symptom of another disorder. Obesity is becoming more and more accepted as a disability in case law. Mostly since the 2008 amendment and the EEOC deciding morbid obesity is a disability. Although, most cases do still have another underlying medical problem as it easier to fight in court than the person who just ate badly and did not work out.

To give an idea of morbid obesity, most of the cases I have come across in readings deal with people who are in the 400-600 pound range.

ETA: Obviously this is only in the United States. I don't know what other countries have for their disability definitions. Oh and this is from a strictly HR/work POV, as that is my area. ;)
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    It will never be a disability to me.
    I've been 370 pounds with multiple health conditions that make this really freaking hard (PCOS, Diabetes, Stage Two hypertension, heart attack and pancreantitis.)

You can't demand disability because you don't want to put in the work to get better. I grew up thinking it was a disability...my grandmother was around 500 pounds, never left her room, and had a toilet near the bed so she could scoot over to it. I was under the impression that this happened because she was sick. This was a lie. Sometimes it makes me really upset that the government granted her full disability, because she just stayed in her room (Groceries, cleaning ladies, everything delivered to her house...) She started getting infected fat cells and she never went to a doctor to try to lose. She saw herself as incapable. This was not true... That is what it boils down to...Unfortunately it killed her while I was very young, and her husband.

I think at the least, if they give a requirement to see a doctor, see a nutritionist then if they have a PROFESSIONAL tell them they cannot lose weight under any circumstances, THEN give them disability. I have never met anyone who COULD NOT lose weight. Doing so might suck! It might hurt, you might have hunger pains and have to find another vice, but I believe it's doable. I'm not talking about being a size zero to be socially acceptable, I'm talking about the people who can't walk, clean, bend...anything.

You have to make your body work to survive, if you don't work it, it won't keep working.
    To lose someone because they're overweight...is just wrong. :(

I unfortunately see people screw the disability system a lot and I think they need to be harder on people who don't work. Real disabilities are one thing, but if you're gonna give every overweight person disability (Because most will have a condition along side it...) then I know a lot of people who would gladly be morbidly obese to never have to work again.
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options
    A person can choose to not be fat.

I'm sure there are many truly disabled folks out there who would love to choose to not be disabled.

Amen! Love this!
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    According to the Nagi Model this would be an impairment or disease not a disability. Maybe even a functional limitation but I can't justify disability.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    A person can be disabled even if it is their own fault. If you intentionally jump off of a building and become paralyzed...its your fault...but you're still disabled.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Well.. Some people consider alcoholism a disability, so why can't food addiction be classified as one? However, that's no excuse not to get up off your tuckus and work the weight off. I understand that circumstances arise in the lives of people - they get divorced, someone close to them dies, they get seriously injured and are unable to move around much, et cetera. Lots of emotional pain/distress/anxiety that gets intertwined in their eating habits. In those cases, I think employers should be reasonable - help/encourage their employees to spend time getting healthier. They should ease up on those people... But firmly establish that they want those individuals to become healthier or else risk termination. A decent, not unreasonable, deadline should be put into effect - after those people have gone to their doctor (or a nutritionist). And employers should ease up if a person is making progress, but hasn't quite attained his/her final goal.
  • NinaGrace77
    Options
    I have a relative who is morbidly obese. He has a bad knee that he wears a knee brace for, and type 2 diabetes. He spends 8-10 dollars a day on lunch at fast food resaurants, and talks frequently about how high his blood sugar is....and does NOTHING to fix it. All of his health problems would lessen, if not disappear altogether if he took responsibility for his health, but he doesnt want to sacrifice his venti frappuchinos and big macs in order to do it. He seems to take a perverse enjoyment of his aches and pains, and it is honestly infuriating to listen to, and I am obese myself!
    He just got approved for full disability, and I think that is sad and wrong.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the part where she says that she sees her body as "in its natural state" and that there's nothing wrong with being fat. But then she seems to say that she should be considered disabled. I am disabled, and I would never argue that there is nothing wrong with my body. It seems a little odd.

That jumped out at me, too. You can't have it both ways, imho. If there's nothing wrong with being fat, then it can't be a disability. The writer has very warped logic.
  • funkycamper
    Options
    My husband is disabled. Truly disabled. 90% rating from the VA from injuries sustained while on active military duty. He's also obese because his disabilities left him unable to be physically active for several years. For the last year, he's been busting his *kitten* finding exercises he CAN do without aggravating his previously shattered leg, fused ankle, hip replacement, and countless other issues. He's lost nearly 40 lbs. and his weight loss journey is still going strong. He's my hero and i am so damn proud of him. it pisses me off when I think of someone who's overweight and wants to be considered disabled. No effing way man. It sucks to have extra weight and it makes life difficult - do something about it!

I just want to extend a big thank you to you and your husband for his service and sacrifice. He sounds like an amazing man and he's my hero, too. You have every right to be damn proud of him. Wow...I'm definitely going to keep him in mind on days when I'm feeling too lazy to workout. He is an inspiration.
  • funkycamper
    Options
    I have a relative who is morbidly obese. He has a bad knee that he wears a knee brace for, and type 2 diabetes. He spends 8-10 dollars a day on lunch at fast food resaurants, and talks frequently about how high his blood sugar is....and does NOTHING to fix it. All of his health problems would lessen, if not disappear altogether if he took responsibility for his health, but he doesnt want to sacrifice his venti frappuchinos and big macs in order to do it. He seems to take a perverse enjoyment of his aches and pains, and it is honestly infuriating to listen to, and I am obese myself!
    He just got approved for full disability, and I think that is sad and wrong.

From the description, I almost thought we must be related because I have the exact same relative, but mine is a she. Especially the "perverse enjoyment" statement. When she was first diagnosed with diabetes, she refused to do anything to keep her blood sugars more normal. Then when she first started getting very slight neuropathy symptoms, she stopped going to work, got fired, and has been on disability ever since. She eats everything in sight and then, at family gatherings, grabs as many leftovers as possible to take home, especially the sweets. And then needs help carrying it all to the car, help getting in her car, yada yada. She constantly expects people to wait on her. Even her 85 year old mother! I can't hardly stand to be around her because of it.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    A person can be disabled even if it is their own fault. If you intentionally jump off of a building and become paralyzed...its your fault...but you're still disabled.

Actually if you jump off a building and survived you'd be considered insane and be put in a Psych unit.
    I've been there...and it's nothing like getting a check in the mail or special parking. :p

In all seriousness to some of the other comments...alcoholism is not a disability either. It's an addiction, but not a disability.
    This woman's husband:
    "My husband is disabled. Truly disabled. 90% rating from the VA from injuries sustained while on active military duty. He's also obese because his disabilities left him unable to be physically active for several years. For the last year, he's been busting his *kitten* finding exercises he CAN do without aggravating his previously shattered leg, fused ankle, hip replacement, and countless other issues. He's lost nearly 40 lbs. and his weight loss journey is still going strong. He's my hero and i am so damn proud of him. it pisses me off when I think of someone who's overweight and wants to be considered disabled. No effing way man. It sucks to have extra weight and it makes life difficult - do something about it! "

Is disabled. I think he's my hero now too! :)
    Unfortunately a disability is a permanent state. I think that's what really defines a disability, for me anyway. Something you can change can be an illness, complication, pain in the butt, seemingly impossible, but it's achievable.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    In the USA, legally a disability does not have to be a permanent state as some are saying. Also, not every person who is obese or morbidly obese will receive benefits. Each person who applies for SSI/SSDI has to go an application process that includes medical evaluations. People who have reached the state where they literally are disabled by their weight are not making a choice in the way many are referring to. I would disbelieve anyone who reached that weight and denied having some form of medical issue, whether it be physical or mental illness. People can receive disability for severe enough depression, but the average person suffering from depression does not need it. Everything is on a spectrum. People who receive SSDI are evaluated periodically to ensure that it is still medically appropriate.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That author did a pretty good job of convincing me that obesity is a disease (despite strongly denying it). I started thinking of it in terms of disability, but, that doesn't sound right. She described herself as able-bodied. If you can do everything you need to do, then you're not dis-abled. But if your condition has negative consequences, then you do have dis-ease.

From a social standpoint, people are generally not stigmatized for having a disease, or should not be. However, they are encouraged to seek treatment if treatment is available. There are many underlying causes for obesity, and those causes should be treated. The cause may be hormonal. It may be a result of some other disability or disease. It may be a mental disorder. It may just be ignorance. People then point to a lack of willpower. Lack of willpower is also a symptom of underlying problems, such as depression or chronic fatigue. Those underlying problems need to be identified and treated as well. Guilting people into getting well doesn't work for other diseases, and it doesn't work for this one either. If anything, that will make any underlying mental causes, such as depression, worse.

That author did nothing to convince me that being fat is a natural state. It is not a healthy variation on body type. The medical evidence of the negative effects of obesity is stacked pretty high. I can understand the hopelessness and feeling that it's something that cannot be changed. There is a lot of misinformation floating around out there, and if you bite too many fake lures you probably would feel like giving up. How many dead-ends and train-wrecks-waiting-to-happen do we see here everyday? If even your doctor gives bad advice then what do you do? But, none of us would be on this site if we thought it was hopeless. We can look around and see the tickers of those who came before and listen to their stories. The internet is a blessing!

Obesity can cause, or be caused by, disability, but I don't believe it is by itself. The author seemed to want the social concessions that disabled people have without declaring that she actually has a problem. You can't have it both ways.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I think there are 2 trains of though here - one is "Are they disabled?", which I think the answer is yes.

The other is "Should they get the benefits that are awarded to disabled people?" Which I think the answer is....no...

You CAN lose weight. Someone drew comparisons to a smoker who can't breathe so well which I agree with. They shouldn't be classified as disabled and so get benefits as it is of their own doing. If there truly is a reason that you had no choice but to put on weight and/or there is now NOTHING you can possibly do about the situation, then that should be treated as a special case, but outside of that circumstance, I think it is wrong to classify them as disabled in the accepted sense.

That analogy doesn't make sense. Excess fat can be lost. Lung cancer and other permanent damage from smoking cannot be lost by voluntary effort on the part of the patient. Was the smoking a choice? Yes, but the consequences of that choice are often irreversible unlike being overweight or obese.
  • STFU1234
    Options
    I'm not trolling....
    I'm stating the fact that not all fat people choose to be fat
    Also, I'm sorry but there is no way fat can be a disability, not even in a slight percentage
    If you choose to lead a lifestyle where your NOT constantly sat infront of the telly
    Then you can actually be healthy
    I'm fat, I smoke, I have no health conditions, and haven't in a long time
    Now I aint gunna claim to be some health expert but if your lazy n do nothing then how are your muscles going to grow to support your body weight? If you get up and do things movement is actually easy
    If you want to eat sh1t then eat it, just don't sit there on your bum the rest of the day waiting for the food to turn into fat because your not using the energy up... Go for a walk or ride a bike
    Same if ur a skinny n lazy then you can have a whole load of health proplems too, are they considered disabled?
    Just a sterotype that all fat people eat bs food n are lazy, health is not down to a persons size, its what they do