Upper arms - HELP!

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm new here but have been dieting and eating healthier since March of this year. I've managed to lose 20 pounds on my own, and now that I have my fitbit and am diligently tracking I've lost 2 pounds just this week. Yeah!!

I managed to lose inches all over as well...when I started my waist was 40.5 and now it's down to 36, my thigs were 25 and now they're 22...

Everything on my body has lost inchest EXCEPT my upper arms! THey're still exactly the same at 13 inches. What the heck?!

I do step aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and use a resistance band for toning a few times a week.

Does anyone else have any major trouble spots that are NOT budging? So frustrating...any ideas on how to slim down my arms? They're starting to look funny with the rest of my body! :)

Replies

• ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    really? No one responded? I have the exact same problem as you. I hate my upper arms. It's hereditary but they are huge! The only time I had upper arms I liked was when I was 129 lbs and 20 years old. (lol). I"m 5'9 so that is waaaay too skinny. Anyway, in the past I have done a lot of weight lifting to tone my arms- and it did make them more attractive, but they never really budged a whole lot in circumference...
  • ellekatrz
    ellekatrz Posts: 3
    Options
    Have you tried a low-carb diet? Low carb diet helps me lose weight in my upper body (chest, back, shoulders, upper arms) very quickly. Cardio dance class, and some work with light weights has always helped me tone my arms.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 5 months, dieting and strength training, and I've only lost about an inch on my upper arms but a ton of inches everywhere else.They seem to be the most stubborn area for me right now grrrrrrrrrr I think it just takes time, your body decides where it wants to shed the fat, not us.

***edited to add.... although they are not smaller, they are a LOT stronger and not as "flappy" hehehe. I'm sure once the fat FINALLY starts to go away the muscle will be nice, but it's just slowwwww going right now.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Some areas are just the last to go.

Best you can do is heavy strength training, some cardio, and a diet to lower your body fat %.

I lose it last in my love handle region.
  • dolly3186
    dolly3186 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    really? No one responded? I have the exact same problem as you. I hate my upper arms. It's hereditary but they are huge! The only time I had upper arms I liked was when I was 129 lbs and 20 years old. (lol). I"m 5'9 so that is waaaay too skinny. Anyway, in the past I have done a lot of weight lifting to tone my arms- and it did make them more attractive, but they never really budged a whole lot in circumference...

I know, mine are huge too!! It's so frustrating...i'm losing, losing, losing everywhere else but my arms aren't budging! Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I guess I'll just have to wait it out. I am a bridesmaid in a wedding next May...my arms better be in better shape by then!
  • ellekatrz
    ellekatrz Posts: 3
    Options
    Have you tried low-carb diet? I mentioned this above but you didn't respond. I ask again b/c it really works for me with that problem area, and might help you as well.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Just keep losing weight, eventually they will get smaller.

And lifting weights helped my arms get smaller, and more shapely. :bigsmile:
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    bicep & tricep exercises with weights.
    the stronger the muscles, the more fuel they need.
    that means fat burning!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    cleans, pool punches, rows, overhead swings, snatches.
    that should do the trick.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    This is my current project! I am down to my last 10lbs. AND lifting weights. I am just now starting to see the definition I was hoping for. This area and my tummy from kid's are gonna be the last to budge.

Good luck and keep at it.
  • masumaj
    masumaj Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    hi
    i had the exact same measurment for my arms, they were 13 inches and flabby,

so i decided to take up jillian micheaels 30 day shred, which is a full body workout, my arms got toned and now are 11.5 inches. if you want toloose the fat i would suggest so arm curls of lifting.

do you have dumbells? if not just pick up something heavy like a can of soup and start lifting

good luck
  • thunderthyghz
    thunderthyghz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    same problem here!!!
  • seabuckaroo
    Options
    I do tricep dips, push-ups and vinyasas(yoga) for my arms. they are starting to look great :)
  • NaomiDollar
    NaomiDollar Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to hit the weights. My trainer has me doing Cable Tricep Pushdowns. It is supposed to help with getting rid of what us women like to call wings. I have noticed a tremendous difference in mine in just 2 weeks of doing this exercise.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    bump to read later, just shutting down my pc at work hometime!!!
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    My upper arms are huge, and while I'm watching inches go from other places, but arms are hanging in there. But a lot of my work outs involve leg movement...so I suppose it's not surprising that it's my thighs, hips, and waist that are losing, but my bust and arms are staying the same... Maybe you could try adding in weight training, or simply using weights when doing your other exercises to work out your arms?

Obviously, I have no luck too, but it's an idea.
  • thunderthyghz
    Options
    That sucks! I don't want to be slim with flabby arms lol, not a good look!
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Problem areas are so frustrating! I would add tricept dips and tricept extension as well as laterial raises to your workouts. Google or search pinterest for upper arm workouts. Good luck! My problem spot is the tummy - everything else is starting to look mad toned and good but not able to whittle the middle! :happy:
  • thunderthyghz
    Options
    Some areas are just the last to go.

Best you can do is heavy strength training, some cardio, and a diet to lower your body fat %.

I lose it last in my love handle region.

That sucks! I don't want to be slim with flabby arms lol, not a good look!
  • katerams
    katerams Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    PUSH UPS.

PUSH UPS PUSH UPS PUSH UPS PUSH UPS PUSH UPS.